EE
Posted By
Ed_Evans
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how to adjust the opacity when using the patch tool. I can see that the "patch tool" is working, but only at a very low opacity.

Ed

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
If you mean the stamp ool (any tool, really), then show tool options and set opacity to 100%. Or just type a nubmer with he tool active. 0 for 100%, 1 for 10%, etc.
EE
Ed_Evans
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for the response Scott. However, I did mean the "patch tool". I have tried typing a number with the tool active and there is no change.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
Still have no clue what a patch tool is. You should also check the tool’s blending mode, and chancge it to "Normal".
R
Ram
Feb 13, 2004
Ed,

Are you using Source or Destination in the Patch Tool?
R
Ram
Feb 13, 2004
Scott,

The Patch Tool is right under the Healing Brush. Look it up in Help.
EE
Ed_Evans
Feb 13, 2004
I’ve tried both Source and Destination. I have also looked it up in help. As far as I can tell, it should not even have an opacity setting. But, I know when I use it, it is not doing what it has formerly done when I used it for changes. So, I’m at a loss. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Ed
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 14, 2004
I’m using 6. I’ve been paying some attentiopn o added features, but since I am due to get upgraded to CS (anytime now), I figure I’ll see it when I see it. That’s why Patch isn’t familiar to me.
LS
Leif_Stout
Jul 28, 2004
Ed, did you ever get this figured out?

I’m having a similar problem. I’ve searched Adobe support and the forums but didn’t find any comment other than to make sure you’ve deselected a previous selection or ensuring the correct layer is targetted. In my case I’m trying to use the patch tool to fill a transparent area in the layer.

Here’s my process:
– target the layer I’m trying to fix
– make sure there is no selection active
– choose patch tool and click "source" in option bar – drag a selection around the area I want to repair (transparent area) – drag the selection to the the area I want to sample from (non-transparent area) – the preview shows the sample area, but when I release the mouse button, the preview disappears and the selection remains unpatched!

What’s going on?

(OS10.3.4, DP1.8, PhotoshopCS, Wacom Intuos 2 Platinum)
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2004
Do you have transparent checked??
LS
Leif_Stout
Jul 28, 2004
Buko, nope. Transparent is unchecked.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
Use "Destination" instead of "Source" when you are trying to patch into a transparent area.
LS
Leif_Stout
Jul 28, 2004
Ann, I just tried using "Destination" instead of "Source" and got the same result: As long as I continue holding the mouse button, the preview is visible, but as soon as I release the mouse button, the preview disappears and the image is left unpatched…

Hmm. It’s starting to look like the patch tool simply won’t work on a transparent area — which doesn’t make any sense to me…
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 28, 2004
Switch to selection fool. do you have feathering on?
are you trying to patch a very dark area with a very light one?

What is the size of the files, and the patched area?
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
Pierre,

Switch to selection fool.

A pint of bourbon would do it. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
Leif:

It worked for me in the way that I described:

Using Destination, draw a marquee with the Patch tool over the image area and pull the marquee into the transparent area. Cmd. D to drop the Selection.

The patch will be 100% solid as there is nothing in the transparent area with which to blend.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 28, 2004
Ramon: lol! of course, it should read "tool" I was by no way insulting you, Ed! 😀
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2004
Interesting.

I always wondered how you filled a transparent area. the original description of the problem did not describe this.

What I did to fill a transparent area was use the clone tool to fill the area then I used the patch tool.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
It behaves totally differently if there is the slightest hint of color in the "transparent" area; and also if you pull the Patch to overlap both filled pixels and transparent ones.
LS
Leif_Stout
Jul 29, 2004
Ann; I’m not doubting your process — I’m just saying that for whatever reason, it’s not working for me. When I drag the patch tool selection (destination mode) to the transparent area and release the mouse button, the transparent area remains unchanged. Interestingly, if I drag the selection partly over a transparent area and partly over an image area, only the image area is affected by the patch.

If it works for you and not for me, maybe it’s a preferences/tool configuration problem on my part. I’d just like to know what that might be.

In any case, I’ve done what Buko suggested as a work around and moved on.

Thanks, Ann and everyone, for your help!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
Leif:

From the results that you were getting, I am certain that your "transparent" area actually contained partially filled pixels (even a 1% fill, which would LOOK transparent,) will cause the Patch tool to work in the way that yours did.

To see the difference make a new layer by copying an unfeathered Selection (Cmd. J). Turn off visibility in all other layers.
Now you will have a truly transparent background and the Patch tool will behave in the way that I described.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections