DS
Posted By
Dave_Stirling
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to copy fairly basic vector shapes from Freehand MX and paste them as paths into Photoshop 7 on a Mac running OSX, but it generates the following error message:

‘Could not complete the paste command because the parser module cannot parse the clipboard.’

There’s no mention of ‘parsing’ in any of the help fils so I don’t have a clue how to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KU
ken_upham
Feb 13, 2004
Perhaps you can save your Freehand file as an eps, or export a format Photoshop can use. Freehand MX (have it but haven’t used it yet) may be too new of a version for PS7 or something.
JJ
joe_j_moonen
Apr 7, 2004
Make sure your MX Preferences>Export>Convert Colors to: is set to Photoshop 4/5 and also that the vector shapes are filled with color from the MX Swatches menu.
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks Joe

I just tried this and still got the error message. I spoke to Adobe and they said the only way was to import as pixels rather than a path – and then use the magic wand to select the shape – and then convert to a path!

I get the impression they’d rather I swap to Illustrator :o(

I can’t imaging I’m the only one trying to copy and past a path from Freehand to Photoshop. It’s all very odd.
B
Buko
Apr 21, 2004
IllustratorCS and PhotoshopCS are designed to work together unlike a 3rd party app like Freehand.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 21, 2004
FreeHand is NOT a "3rd party app". At WORST, it’s a second party app. 🙂

Dave, upgrade to FHMX 11.0.2 (most recent available). You’ll be able to copy and paste into PSCS as paths without a hitch.
T
Todie
Apr 21, 2004
Can you still save as "Illustrator" from Freehand? (I always thought that was elegant)
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 21, 2004
You can export to AI 1.1, 3, 88, 5.5, or 7.x.

Unlike some 3rd party apps, FH is still elegant.
J
jonf
Apr 21, 2004
But if you export as an AI file, you still need to open the file as AI in order to copy and paste the paths. And he doesn’t have AI. Can you parse an AI .eps into PS and retain paths in CS?
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 21, 2004
As I said, if he updates (free download), he doesn’t need to save as ANYTHING. Just copy the paths in FH and paste into PS.
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks for the advice, Doug.

I just upgraded to Freehand 11.0.2 but it made no difference. Photoshop still says ‘Could not complete the paste command because the parser module cannot parse the clipboard.’ (Whatever the hell that means.)

I tried filling the shape with a swatch colour as someone else suggested – but again no difference.

I tried upgrading from Photoshop 7 to the latestr version but it refused to accept the serial number. Which means reinstalling the programme from my v5 disc – and life’s just too short.

Bring back Letraset and CowGum – that’s what I say.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

David
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 22, 2004
Dave, this I just don’t understand. Honest, it works here….
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 22, 2004
What version of Photoshop are you on, Doug? Is it more recent than my 7.0.1? Maybe I have to bite the bullet and upgrade.
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 22, 2004
Todie,

I just tried exporting a simple shape from Freehand MX in Illustrator 7.x format, as you suggested. I then tried to open this in Photoshop – and got the same error message about the ‘parser module cannot parse the file’.

Doh!
Z
Zeb
Apr 22, 2004
Try Drag & Drop. Select the shapes in FH and drag and drop them onto a PS document.
MG
maryann_goodwin
Apr 22, 2004
maryann goodwin
I work with a group that creates maps in GIS. They have the ability to save their files as AI. When I try to open them in Illustrator 10, I get this message "Illustrator cannot parse the file" What can I do to open this file. By the way they work on PC’s I work on a MAC.
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, Zeb. Dragging and dropping works – but it imports the shape as pixels – not as a vector path. I can import from Freehand as pixels – it’s paths that it can’t handle.

David
Z
Zeb
Apr 22, 2004
If you drag and drop one shape at a time, they will import onto a new layer. Use the magic wand to select the shape, open the paths palette and choose make work path, use 0.5 pixels tolerance setting. Delete original layer used to bring in shape.
Do you have CorelDRAW by any chance?
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 22, 2004
That’s what Adobe suggested, Zeb, but it’s not ideal. Photoshop should import vectors from Freehand without going through all that palaver. And it seems other people can import from FH to PS without getting the dreaded ‘parser’ error messages. So there must be a problem somewhere. I just wish I could solve it.
Z
Zeb
Apr 22, 2004
I get the same error message here, so it’s probably not your setup. I’m chuffed Adobe had the same solution as me. 🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 22, 2004
Dave, in FHMX select the Move tool (V). Now COMMAND-drag your paths from FHMX to PS. Any better?
Z
Zeb
Apr 22, 2004
I just tried you suggestion Doug even though I’m not Dave. If you have an RGB document open in Photoshop and command drag, it will copy as paths if you set your FH preferences to export as RGB or CMYK and RGB. If they are set to Photoshop 4/5 it doesn’t work.
DS
Dave_Stirling
Apr 23, 2004
Eu – f*****g – reaka!

Change the export preferences in Freehand from Photoshop 4/5 to CMYK or RGB and it works. Wonderful. Thanks to everyone for their help.

David

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections