CW
Posted By
Charles_W._Bingham_III
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help. My computer recently had Photoshop updated from Elements to 7.0 and I’m having problems with my fonts when I try to convert QuarkXPress pages into JPEGS so the pages can be posted on a News Page Designer Web site. I am using QuarkXPress 4.1 and Photoshop 7.0 on a Mac G4 with Mac OS 9.2.

What I’ve done in the past, and it worked with Elements, was to save the Quark pages as Editable EPS files onto my desktop. I’d then switch my program over to Photoshop and open the EPS files so I could convert them to JPEGs. The Web site I’m trying to post the pages to only allows JPEG files to be posted.

Anyway, since the upgrade I’ve been running into problems. When I try to use Photoshop 7.0 to open my Quark-Editable EPS pages, I get a warning that some fonts can’t be rasterized. When I click on continue, the page opens up with a default font that is all wrong for the page. I tried making aliases of our system fonts (to copy them into the Font folder in the Application Support folder in the System Folder, which is where the Adobe online site said Photoshop gets its fonts), but I still can’t get the program to reconize them. I even tried opening the Quark-Editable EPS files in Freehand and resaving them before opening them in Photoshop, and I’m still having the same font problem.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get Photoshop to recognize my headline fonts on my Quark pages?

Thanks,

Charles Bingham, Juneau Empire sports editor,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 13, 2004
Make a PDF and open that in Photoshop.

also InDesign exports directly to Jpeg.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 13, 2004
Or if you have illustrator, open with that and Save for web.
R
Ram
Feb 13, 2004
Also, update to 7.0.1.
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 13, 2004
I even tried opening the Quark-Editable EPS files in Freehand 9.0 and resaving them before opening them in Photoshop, and I’m still having the same font problem.

Have you tried converting the fonts to outlines in Freehand (or Illustrator) before rasterizing the eps file?
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 13, 2004
What you need is a QuarkXtension called Font Collector.

You can get it here:

< http://www.meadowsinfo.com/pubsolutions/freesoftware_detail. htm>

And it’s FREE!!!

It will download and embed font information in EPS files created using QuarkXpress.

I’ve had it since Quark 3.3 and it works beautifully. It will work with version 4 and they have one for Quark 5 also.
CW
Charles_W._Bingham_III
Feb 15, 2004
If it helps, I don’t have Acrobat on my computer (just Acrobat Reader) and I don’t have Illustrator.

Also, Rene, how do I convert the fonts to outlines in Freehand?
M
MarkATS
Feb 15, 2004
It will solve all of your problem.

Not really, he’ll still have Quark 😎
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 15, 2004
Also, Rene, how do I convert the fonts to outlines in Freehand?

Can’t remember, it’s been years since I’ve used Freehand, but I reember I used to do it.

Check the type options, something like create outlines, or vectorize or something like that is what you’re looking for.
KU
ken_upham
Feb 16, 2004
Fonts to outlines in freehand is shift command p
for paths (It’s crazy, every manufacturer calls it something else, I forget what corel was)
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 16, 2004
Fonts to outlines in freehand is shift command p for paths

That’s right. Or you can use the menus at the top (in Freehand 8 anyway): Text > Convert To Paths

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections