Posted By
Shaune Kolber
Jul 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d appreciate help ASAP on this.

I’m trying to combine several images into a long panoramic. I’ve gotten them onto one canvas, but now whenever I try to move any of them horizontally I get this message: "Could not complete the Nudge Command because the result would be too big." Same for the Move command. What’s going on here? I can Nudge/Move vertically though. My canvas is 75 x 20 inches. The unflattened doc is only 750 MB. As a sidenote, I’d like to increase the canvas size to 80 x 20 but it only lets me go to 75. I’m using PS 7.0.1 with Windows 2000 Pro.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave milbut
Jul 17, 2003
"Could not complete the Nudge Command because the result would be too big."

the image cannot go over 30000 pixels in any directon.
SK
Shaune Kolber
Jul 17, 2003
Dave,

Thanks for answering, but I’m not clear on WHY this happens. I’m sure I’m just misunderstanding you but…

My horizontal dimension is at 30k pix which I know (unfortunately) is the limit. I don’t understand why when I’m trying to move layers WITHIN this canvas size (as opposed to outside the canvas size) the program won’t allow it.

I’m thinking about this like this. For example, let’s say that 30k pixels is represented by a standard piece of 8.5 x 11 paper. All my montage elements are within the paper’s border, I just want to move them around it, not outside it. Why isn’t this possible? Thanks.

Shaune Kolber
PC
Pierre Courtejoie
Jul 17, 2003
shaune, maybe have you hit a… ahem … undocumented feature of Photoshop… Did you try to resize to 29.999? and see if this happens also?
CW
Colin Walls
Jul 17, 2003
There isn’t something on the layer that is pushing over the edge of the canvas is there? Maybe just a few pixels left over from previous work.
BL
Bill Lamp
Jul 18, 2003
Colin & Dave,

If the canvas is at maximum size and one of the layers is nudged so part goes OFF the end, what happens to the "out of bounds/off canvas" pixels?

When I have moved something off the edge, it can be brought back. It doesn’t seem to get "trimed" until some step as or after the layers are merged.

It could be that the picture on the layer that is getting moved will have to be cropped a tad (technical measure meaning as little as needed to make it fit) BEFORE it is copied into a layer in the larger file. That would keep all the pixels inside the maximum width canvas.

Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections