Can you perform multiple actions in a droplet?

PZ
Posted By
Paul_Zahradka
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to be able to drop a folder full of .png screenshots onto a droplet, and have the droplet save out copies of that file (.tif, .psd, .png, and .eps) then place the separate files into repspective sub-folders. Each of the copies of the file would have a few repetitive and consistent actions, like a drop shadow and a specifically-sized background with a stroke. Is this possible? Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2004
In short, "no".

The issue is the destination folder which is driven by the batch dialog. Once you run the batch dialog, be it droplet or automate|batch, the dialog will take control of the source AND destination of the files upon which the actions are performed.

In addition, I’m not sure what will happen when you run a batch, that includes multple Save As statements – IF that works, it shouldn’t be too hard of a job to sort by extension post processing and manually move them.

But that’s an "iffy" process that I would want to test first.

If it were me, because I’m a conservative anal-retentive type when it comes to this sort of thing, I would create 4 separate batch actions, be they droplet or run from the File|Automate|batch. It’s cleaner and more predicable, and you can always get coffee while they process <grin>.

Btw, I have yet to see an inherent advantage of droplets, except for portablility. That is, you can bring it to work or give it to a friend. Other than that, functionally, running File|Automate|Batch is the same thing, without creating an EXE. <shrug>

Peace,
TOny
PZ
Paul_Zahradka
Aug 26, 2004
Ahhh… Thanks so much for yor input. I messed around a little, creating 4 separate droplets, and sure enough things are pointing toward the batch commands. So, while I can’t automate my entire day *snicker*, at least I can streamline a little. If I stumble on something life-changing however, I’ll post the results. A droplet’s portability is really nice since I work with designers in other buildings in a big network. Our files reside on a server, so if the droplets were on there, everyone could use them. Oh well, we’re no quite there I guess! Thanks again for the advice,

Paul-
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 26, 2004
Glad you got it sorted Paul.

Peace,
Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections