S
Posted By
Serge-Andr
Jul 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I save an image in PSD Format, what I see in my repertory "My images" (Windows XP)is an icone of Photoshop Elements (the yellow flower)instead of a miniature of my image, even if my repertory "My images" is set to see miniatures of all my images. Before the reinstallation of Photoshop Elements 2, I used to see a miniature of my image. I had renewed the repertory "My preferences" and the one that concern the files associations is set at "Always save a miniature" when I save a PSD File.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 11, 2003
Serge-André,

Est-ce que tu avais Photoshop Elements 1.0 avant ? Si oui, est-ce que tu l’as complètement désinstallé avant d’installer 2.0 ?

Raymond
S
Serge-Andr
Jul 11, 2003
Raymond,

Je viens tout juste de changer d’ordinateur. Sur le précédent, j’ai travaillé avec Photoshop Elements 1.0 puis j’ai instalalé la version 2.0 après avoir désinstallé la version 1. Je n’avais aucun problème. J’ai récupéré toutes mes images stockées sur mon ancien ordinateur et dans l’explorateur Windows, les images PSD enregistrées avec mon ordinateur précédent comportentles miniatures. Je n’y comprends rien !
R
Ray
Jul 11, 2003
** ENGLISH VERSION FOLLOWS **

Serge-André,

Donc, sur le nouvel ordinateur, les miniatures ne sont plus visibles ? As-tu essayé d’ouvrir les fichiers, puis de les enregistrer à nouveau sous le même nom ? Ou sous un autre nom ?

Le problème existe aussi sous Photoshop 7.0. Cette après-midi, j’ai fouillé pour toi, mais je n’ai rien trouvé. Il semble que ça soit un problème insolvable. La solution que je t’ai proposé n’a pas été essayé ou suggéré. Alors, dis-moi si ça fonctionne.

En passant, note mon adresse électronique (). Je suis
le seul qui parle courament Français sur ce babillard. Si ce problème persite, écris-moi en privé, ça va aller mieux.

Aussi, tu as droit à un appel de support gratuit pour ton logiciel. Si vraiment ce problème est majeur, peut-être serait-il temps d’utiliser cet appel gratuit? Adobe Canada parle français, il n’y a pas de problème.

Raymond

Has anyone seen this before : On Serge’s new computer, PSE 2.0 thumbnails for his PSD pictures are showing as the PSD file icon, not the usual thumbnail preview. On his previous computer, all was fine. I did a search on Photoshop Elements and Photoshop forum, some people reported this problem, but no solution was found. If someone has a clue, please let me know and I’ll inform Serge. Thanks! 🙂

Ray
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 11, 2003
Ray, these are thumbnails in the Elements browser or Windows Explorer? If it’s the latter, my Windows 98SE Explorer won’t show a thumbnail for any of my 11 MB+ TIFF’s or similar size PSD’s, although it will generate and display thumbnails for the smaller JPEG’s. Not sure what the limitation is…

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 11, 2003
Ray, did he turn on the thumbnail view in the View menu??

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Jul 11, 2003
Ray,

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, have him check his view settings in windows explorer. Under the "view" menu item, XP gives a number of options, e.g. Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, and details. List and details only display the icon associated with the filetype. The tiles and icons options will make use of an imbedded thumbnail image in the file, if there is one, or the default file association icon if there isn’t.

PSE 2.0 will write the imbedded thumbnail if the option is enabled and the file type supports the imbedded thumbnail (save for web is an exception as it never imbeds the thumbnail).

Have him do an experiment. Have him open an image in PSE 2.0 and save it using the "save as" menu option. Have him give it a different name and make sure the thumbnails checkbox is checked. Then have him look at the directory where he saved the image. Have him check the view option on that directory in windows explorer and have him select icon if it isn’t already set to that. He should see the thumbnail of the image on the file he just saved. If he only sees the default icon associated with the file type, somethings wrong. The thumbnail may not have been saved with the image. In that case have him delete the photoshop settings file and try again.

If that doesn’t work, I’ve run out of ideas.

Hope it works,
Bob
S
Serge-Andr
Jul 12, 2003
Raymond… Oui, j’ai tenté de réenregistrer les photos sous le même nom puis sous un nouveau nom mais pas de miniatures non plus.

Chuck and Robert… Yes I am in the thumbnail view in the View menu.

Robert… I did the experiment you have suggested but no thumbnail appears.

It looks like in the Menu Edit > Preferences, the element "Always save a thumbnail", "Never save a thumbail" or "Ask for a thumbnail while saving file" does not work (sorry this is a translation, my application is in french). When I check "Ask for a thumbnail….), and try to save a file using "Save as", there is no box to check to save a thumbnail. I have uninstalled the program and did the reinstallation but the problem persist.
PD
Pete D
Jul 12, 2003
Ray

This may or may not be the same issue. And even if the same may not help because I have no resolution to the issue but:

I have a lot of files that show the PSE2 flower icon (large) instead of the thumbnail. In my case these files were really PDD files even though the icon says PSD. I believe they are all the files I had previously created in PhotoDeluxe. Anything I have created in PSE 1 or 2 shows the proper thumbnail.

Pete
R
Ray
Jul 12, 2003
Pete (and all),

We’ve successfully isolated the problem to… Windows XP ! 🙁

Serge sent me a file which happens not to have a thumbnail on his computer. And the thumbnail displayed just fine at my end. I’ve suggested to check for any Windows updates missing. Also, as a last resort, I’ve suggested him to create a contact sheet for each of his work folders. This way, when in Windows Explorer, he enters a folder, he’ll only have to double-click on the contact sheet to view all the files and their names. I know, this is not an ideal measure because he’ll have to regenerate the contact sheet after every changes to his PSD files, but it could be worth trying, especially if he does his work all at once and later archive his stuff, without modifying it afterwards.

Thanks Pete!

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections