WT
Posted By
william throop
Jul 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having the same dificulty with save to web. I deleted the .psp file, but still has error. Anyone have a fix?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DS
Don Stouder
Jul 18, 2003
Hello,

I have encountered a strange
problem while running PSE Vers 2 on Win XP that I have never seen before. The problem is this:

When trying to trying to save the image using File > Save for Web…, the dialogue box does not appear.The screen flickers, but that is it. The PC does not hang up and PSE seems to do other functions ok.

I tried restarting PSE and rebooting with the same result.

Does anyone know how to fix this without reinstalling PSE?

TIA

Don S.
RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 18, 2003
Don,

Try deleting prefs.

Rich
CF
Chris French
Jul 18, 2003
There is a current thread on this problem some on else has:

‘lost save for web’

what’s wrong with just re-installing it?

Chris French
DS
Don Stouder
Jul 19, 2003
Thanks, Richard, Chris, & Beth.

I will try your suggestion the next time I am back at school. The problem is affecting about one-half of the 20 PCs in the computer lab where I teach. I hope that the Prefs file fix works. Reinstalling the program is not that trivial, since I don’t run the lab and have to coordinate re-installs.

BTW the PCs are using Win 98/XP duel boot and problem right now appears to be associated with the Win XP installation.

I hope I can find the Prefs file relatively easy in XP.

P.S. You guys were so quick and helpful with this problem, please see another post regarding a display problem with PSE in this forum if you get the chance. 🙂

Thanks Again,

Don S.
MG
Max Goodwin
Aug 10, 2003
Chuck very kindly told me how to size images for the web by going to "Save for Web" under file. However, when I open a photo in elements 2, the save for web dialog box is grey and therefore won’t work. Help, please.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
Max, that’s a stumper for me. I’ll see if I can figure out a reason for that. In the meantime, hopefully some others will chime in.

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
Kyle, that oughta do it! I checked Indexed Color, thinking that might be the problem, but didn’t think about bitmap…

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 10, 2003
remember the days when ‘bitmap’ was the ‘in’ format for graphics ??? then again, i guess it still is on some systems…depending on the user and the program.
KW
Kyle White
Aug 10, 2003
Hi Chuck,

It’s a browser issue. There are too many types (Windows, OS/2 etc etc) so browsers just ignore them. I’ve had this problem many times at work, so it’s one of the first things I check. Although, you’d think that PSE2 would take a bitmap in and just give you Web compatible output.
Oh, well!

TTFN
Kyle
MG
Max Goodwin
Aug 10, 2003
I opened a jpeg image on PS2, checked the mode, which is RGB, and again tried to save for web. It is still gray and unusable. Any other ideas? I don’t understand what I need to do about browsers, Kyle. Can you give me more detail?
MG
Max Goodwin
Aug 10, 2003
Thanks Jodi. I gave it a try, but "save for web" still doesn’t work.
KW
Kyle White
Aug 10, 2003
Max Goodwin – 08:57am Aug 10, 2003 Pacific (#7 of 10)

I opened a jpeg image on PS2, checked the mode, which is RGB, and again tried to save for web. It is still gray and unusable. Any other ideas? I don’t understand what I need to do about browsers, Kyle. Can you give me more detail?

Hi Max,
The reference to browsers was that most of them cannot deal with bitmap type images (*.bmp). This is because, as Jodi mentioned, it is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, computer based image types. Every operating system, graphics package and some word processors all had an image file they called "Bitmap" and used the "bmp" file extension and they were all slightly different and usually incompabible with each other. And to top it off, they had no compression, so back in the early days, it would take a while to transfer one on your 300 bit/sec modem! This makes bitmaps a poor choice for use on the Web.

Most browsers require a helper or plug-in to deal with TIFFs as well, one reason being that one of the major compression schemes "legal" in TIFFs is proprietary and carries a license fee, which you pay for when you buy a package like PE2.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t get you any closer to figuring out why "Save to Web…" isn’t working.

Kyle
(still cogitating)
JA
Jo Abr
Aug 10, 2003
Gents: I’m having a somewhat similar problem with PSElements. With a JPEG image opened, I click on Save for Web, and a message pops up saying that "D:\Corel\Programs\Ccwin refers to a location ….", etc, referring to Calendar Creator, a different program altogether. Then it starts searching for the exe file for CC. I click on cancel and PSE proceeds as it should, giving me the choices for saving for web. Yet, where does PSE point to when i click on Save for Web that it forces the Calendar Creator query? Thank you. Jo
KW
Kyle White
Aug 10, 2003
Sorry folks, this is where I’m going to have to bow out. I’m on a Mac and now we’re getting into the differences of how/where the operating systems store all the files associated with an application.

On my Mac, the actual piece of software that performs the "Save for Web…" function resides in a sub-folder of PE2 called Plugins/Import:Export. This may assist you in checking to see that this is in place on your machines.

Good Luck!

Kyle
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
The file to which Kyle is referring is also present on Windows machines; mine is found at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Plug-Ins\Import-Export\SaveforWebEL

Chuck
JA
Jo Abr
Aug 10, 2003
Gents: I’m having a somewhat similar problem with PSElements. With a JPEG image opened, I click on Save for Web, and a message pops up saying that "D:\Corel\Programs\Ccwin refers to a location ….", etc, referring to Calendar Creator, a different program altogether. Then it starts searching for the exe file for CC. I click on cancel and PSE proceeds as it should, giving me the choices for saving for web. Yet, where does PSE point to when i click on Save for Web that it forces the Calendar Creator query? Thank you. Jo
R
RBB
Aug 20, 2003
when saving for web i have the option to set the size i want for the image, but then i set 100kb and the image gets me 160kb?? what i am doing wrong? or is just that this option works aproximately only??

also what it means the option to optimize the image??

R
RBB
Aug 20, 2003
when saving for web i have the option to set the size i want for the image, but then i set 100kb and the image gets me 160kb?? what i am doing wrong? or is just that this option works aproximately only??

F
Farlo
Aug 20, 2003
"RBB" wrote:

Firts, look this stuff up in your user guide. I am not here for the type of technical support that you can get by reading a page or two in the manual. It isn’t fair of you to expect others to read you the relevant pages line by line.

Second, 100kb is NOT a web image. That’s just too big.

Farlo, the Urban Fey Dragon

The difference between the average man and the average chimpanzee is about 30 IQ points and some DNA. Are you blurring the line?
F
Farlo
Aug 20, 2003
"RBB" wrote:

Firts, look this stuff up in your user guide. I am not here for the type of technical support that you can get by reading a page or two in the manual. It isn’t fair of you to expect others to read you the relevant pages line by line.

Second, 100kb is NOT a web image. That’s just too big.

Farlo, the Urban Fey Dragon

The difference between the average man and the average chimpanzee is about 30 IQ points and some DNA. Are you blurring the line?
T
tacitr
Aug 20, 2003
when saving for web i have the option to set the size i want for the image, but then i set 100kb and the image gets me 160kb??

What do you mean by "it gives you 160 kb"? It works exactly as expected for me–however, be aware that it may take quite a while for Save for Web to calculate the appropriate settings.

Also be aware that when you save a file on disk, the amount of disk space it takes up is greater than the size of the file. A 101K file will take more than 101K on disk.

It means make the JPEG as small as possible at that quality setting. Some very old Web browsers can not read optimized JPEGs.

More to the point: Why on *earth* are you saving a 100K file for Web use? 100K is way too big for the Web. Generally speaking, the total size of a page–the HTML plus *all* the images on that page added together–should not exceed 45K or so.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
RBB
Aug 20, 2003
thanks i guess you right,
the thing is that i use to work with images from nikon d1x in raw (nef) and then many times i want to make images smaller for web or better sayed just to send by email or view just by the computer, then i dont need the 300ppp from the camera, so then i use the save for web. then my surprise is that i use the option to make me a file of just 100kb and the plugin gives me a file of 160kb, i dont know wy, and as you said, smaller files not even makes them, if i set 50kb, just does not make me the image.

"Tacit" escribi
R
RBB
Aug 20, 2003
thanks i guess you right,
the thing is that i use to work with images from nikon d1x in raw (nef) and then many times i want to make images smaller for web or better sayed just to send by email or view just by the computer, then i dont need the 300ppp from the camera, so then i use the save for web. then my surprise is that i use the option to make me a file of just 100kb and the plugin gives me a file of 160kb, i dont know wy, and as you said, smaller files not even makes them, if i set 50kb, just does not make me the image.

"Tacit" escribi
F
Fred
Aug 22, 2003
Farlo wrote:

The average IQ of any species (in case there were IQ-tests for any species besides man) equals, by definition, 100 points (or an IQ of 1.0, to be more precisely).

Fred
F
Fred
Aug 22, 2003
Farlo wrote:

The average IQ of any species (in case there were IQ-tests for any species besides man) equals, by definition, 100 points (or an IQ of 1.0, to be more precisely).

Fred
J
jekke
Aug 22, 2003
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:12:41 +0200, Fred
wrote:

Farlo wrote:

The last I checked, the average IQ was around 105. The tests need to be periodically calibrated to zero out.

–Jekke

WWJD? JWRTFM.
J
jekke
Aug 22, 2003
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:12:41 +0200, Fred
wrote:

Farlo wrote:

The last I checked, the average IQ was around 105. The tests need to be periodically calibrated to zero out.

–Jekke

WWJD? JWRTFM.
RW
Roland_Wyler
Nov 30, 2003
Hello,
Working with PhotoSop 7 (german version) I have since the upgrade to 7.0.1 the following problem. By clicking "Save for web" and afterwards preview in a browser (IE 6 and NN 6 installed) the error message appears "could not terminate the process because a file with the sme name exists already". The same operation works correctly in Image Ready 7.0.1.

I would be very greatful for any help.
Roland Wyler
ML
Mandi_Lindner
Jan 6, 2004
I open a photo in Photoshop Elements 2.0, and no matter the file format, when I click "save for web" the dialog box doesn’t pop up. The screen blinks and then goes back to normal. Does anyone know what’s happening?
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 6, 2004
Mandi,

The save for web option has its own prefs file. You can reset it by holding down control + alt while launching Save for Web. This is a Win only fix. Give it a try.

Rich
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 6, 2004
Interesting that there IS a pref file for SFW, but no way to SET those prefs, unlike in full PS!

Mac
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 6, 2004
Mac,

Maybe I’m not understanding you, but in SFW there are many variables to choose from and I thought they were sticky settings (would have to verify the sticky)
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 6, 2004
There are some preferences that can be changed, too, like the size of thumbnails and images, banners and fonts. I did give this shortcut info to someone a while back, and they reported that it cleared up the problem, so…
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 6, 2004
Mac,
Beth and Nancy kind of hit it on the head. The prefs file for S4W, as well as the Elements or PS prefs file, contains more info than just what you can define in the Edit>Prefs menus. It is also a repository for palette positions, color settings, sticky menu options etc.

Rich
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 7, 2004
My point is, in full photoshop, there is an extra button on the SFW screen, where you can set various options, for HTML, slices, Saving (Mac and Unix compatibility affecting long file names) etc. Elements doesn’t have these options, so was surprised that there was still a separate pref file just for SFW in Elements. Live and learn.

Mac
JL
Jose_L_Cruz
Jan 13, 2004
I am using Elements 2 and can not get the Save For Web dialogue box to open. Using three methods, file>Save for Web, Clicking the icon, or save as IF, the screen will blink and a dialogue box will not appear. I am using Windows 2000, networked, on a P4 computer. Reloading the software did not help.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 13, 2004
Jose,

A possible fix from another post, by Richard Coencas:

The save for web option has its own prefs file. You can reset it by
holding down control + alt while launching > Save for Web. This is a Win only fix. Give it a try.

HTH,

Byron
AL
anthony.lin
Jan 19, 2004
In some PSD files, after using the "Save for Web…" feature and clicking the "Save" button, the default "Save as type:" is "Images Only (*.gif)". In other PSD files, the default type is "HTML and Images (*.html)".

Is there a way to set this default type in a PSD file?
L
larry
Jan 19, 2004
Two issues. If you’ve previously used Save For Web on the same images and told Photoshop to save the changes, the same options will appear the next time you apply Save For Web.

The other is that where you see a GIF or Jpeg option in the Save For Web, it’s a drop down and will also reflect the file format (Gif or Jpeg) what you see in the final Save box.

As for the HTML option, the only time I use it is if I’m generating slices and need the table code to insert them into a web page.

Larry Berman
AL
anthony.lin
Jan 19, 2004
I understand the part about saving as GIF or JPEG, but my problem lies in the "HTML and Images" option appearing when I don’t want it. In the PSDs where this occurs, there is only one slice, so I don’t understand why it would ask to save the HTML.

I guess my question should be modified to ask why "HTML and Images" appears as the default type when trying to Save for Web. This then requires me to change the type to "Images Only" each time I do this in that PSD.
L
larry
Jan 19, 2004
The few times it’s offered me the HTML as a default, I’ve changed it and it stayed sticky. But it might have something to do with coming out of ImageReady instead of Photoshop for Save For Web.

There’s a small drop down arrow above the quality settings called Optimize Menu with Edit Output settings as one of the choices. You might be able to turn off the HTML option there, or at least edit it.

Larry Berman
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 10, 2004
Oh dear … its stopped working!!. I know that you can delete the save for web preferences but where are they and what is the file called?

I have tried a search but got nowhere … I am using a Mac so the shortcut doesn’t work.

Anyone any ideas?

Wendy
PD
Pete_D
Feb 10, 2004
Beth,

I think I was supposed to remember this and remind you if you forgot. But I forget.

Pete

Oh dear … its stopped working!!. I know that you can delete the save
for web preferences but >>where are they and what is the file called?
KW
Kyle_White
Feb 10, 2004
Might you be lookin’ for

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Save For Web 3.0 Prefs

???
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 10, 2004
Hi Kyle,

I’ve tried deleting that and its still the same.

The problem started last night … I installed some of the Nagel series custom shapes and later when I tried to use save for web everything worked fine until I clicked on OK. Then all that happened was the apple "whirling disk". Everything else works fine but if I use save for web not only does it screw up Elements but it crashes the Mac too.

I don’t know if the installing of the shapes and the current problem are related but something else weird has also happened … the icons, within the presets folder, for brushes, custom shapes etc have changed to the Nagel series colours.

I guess if no one has any ideas on how to sort it out I may have to re install … what a job!!

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Wendy, plug-ins are certainly a roll of the dice. Something I installed permanently disabled the Impressionist Brush tool; fortunately, that’s not something I would call upon often (ever!) – so I didn’t re-install Elements. But if downloaded something that killed Save for Web, I’d be as mortified as you…
KW
Kyle_White
Feb 11, 2004
Wendy,

In my installation of PSE2 in folder /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2/Plug-Ins/Import/Export there is a plug-in called "Save for Web EL". That file was created: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 06:00 and Modified: Sunday, August 10, 2003 20:49 and is 9,570,086 bytes long. If you were using a new plug-in, perhaps this file got damaged. If so, you may have to do a re-install of PSE2 ’cause I can’t seem to find any way of getting the original off the CD. It seems to be buried inside the installation archive somewhere.

HTH

Kyle
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 11, 2004
Sorry Wendy – I fear that they were my suggestion… they don’t seem to have done anything damaging to my system on 10.3.2- as they are presets rather than plugins they shouldn’t be a problem (plugins I have had problems with – the Super Blade Pro demo gave my system hiccups yesterday and I had to deinstall it – a pity as it was rather fun to play with but doesn’t work properly on my setup) – but presets such as patterns brushes and shapes have never been an issue . I presume you’ve tried removing them from the presets folder to the desktop, and then resetting both Elments and the Save for Web preferences?

Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 11, 2004
Hi Susan,

Not your fault at all … its just one of these things. I tried moving them out but no result in the end I trashed them and did a reinstall. Great fun .. still I had back up files of brushes, gradients, swatches etc so that part was easy.

Reinstalling Dreamsuite freebies, Poloroid filter, Mend and Richards two lots of tools took a little longer 🙂

Just leaves me with Lings snapactions to do … and everything is else is working fine now. However, all my elements icons (brushes, gradients etc are now the same as the Nagel ones but as long as it works I’m not bothered.

When I loaded the shapes the other night they really slowed my system down and the thumbnails took forever to load so I guess something became corrupt at that stage.

In some ways I was glad to do a reinstall as one of my original installs of Richard’s tools was messy to say the least … and I couldn’t tidy it up in case it stopped working. Everything is much neater now.

Its a shame really because the shapes were brilliant.

Wendy
I
ID._Awe
Feb 15, 2004
I have always wondered why, if you use ‘Save for Web’ to save a photo, when you go to close the original, although you haven’t made any changes, it asks if you want to save the original again. Why? If it does nothing to the files, why the dialog box.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 15, 2004
I’ve wondered that myself ID. Great question.
P
Phosphor
Feb 15, 2004
Send an email to the Photoshop department of Photoshop redundancy department, via email.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 15, 2004
heh. Say that twice.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 15, 2004
Save for web assumes you are saving a copy of the original in jpg, png or gif format. With Jpg in particular, you should not be saving over the original image (due to loss of quality in repeated savings).

Maybe it really should have been called export for web.

I assume that using the SFW function must flip some switch in the program that makes it think the original image _has_ been altered.
SG
shecky_greene
Feb 15, 2004
Does it have anything to do with file date information? Created, accessed, modified?
L
larry
Feb 16, 2004
And the reason, for those who have a need to know is….

Photoshop saves the level of compression and all the other Save For Web settings in the original file if you say yes to saving the changes. If you go back and open the original PSD again and use Save For Web again, the settings are already there from the previous time you used it for that particular image.

Either way, saving or not saving changes will make no difference depending on your work flow. I’ve never saved compression level settings because each image needs it’s own level of compression to be optimized for the web.

Larry Berman
I
ID._Awe
Feb 16, 2004
And the prize goes to Larry.

That’s what I thought would happen after posting the question.

Thanks for the confirmation. Wish you could turn it off though.
RV
rudi_van_de_genachte
May 5, 2004
Everytime i use photoshop elements 1 after a month or 5-6 the option file/save for web is not longer available, it is and stay lightgrey and i can’t select it enymore.
I have to uninstall the programm and reinstall it, no problem but all the filters that i use must be reinstalled too, that’s not good.
Can you offer me a solution please ?
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 5, 2004
Run a search on this forum for deleting the preferences of the Save For Web function. You’ll find several threads that dealt with this problem already.

Ray
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 5, 2004
I copied it down last month in to my trouble-shooting notebook: Press CTRL + ALT while launching Save for Web.
Ken
BH
Beth_Haney
May 5, 2004
That keyboard shortcut works only on Windows machines, so if you use a Mac, you have to locate the Save for Web preference folder on your hard drive and delete it manually.
RV
rudi_van_de_genachte
May 5, 2004
I am sorry, i cant find a solution for this problem, in photoshop elements 1 i can’t choose the option file/save for web anymore, i stays lightgrey, no matter if i press ctrl+alt
Can smoebody give me a solution please ?
RV
rudi_van_de_genachte
May 5, 2004
I use windows xp, i was forgotten to say so, kind regards, Rudi
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 5, 2004
Rudi,
I run Photoshop Elements v.1 on Windows-XP.
Here is where the file that Beth referenced can be located: Windows Explorer>Local Disk C>Program Files>Adobe>PE Elements>Plug Ins>Import-Export> Save for WebEL.

I have never tinkered with this file. You may want to save a copy on your desktop before deleting, so that you can restore it if necessary. I assume that you have the installation disk for the program so that you are in a position to uninstall-reinstall as well.
Ken
FC
Flint_Comet
May 26, 2004
hi, ive been tying to save for web to create a animated image, in the help menu it says click save for web, so i did, a little save box is supposed to pop up but all that happened was the computer flashed once. what is wrong?
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
May 26, 2004
You have to select GIF (not JPEG) and make sure you have checked the little box for Animation. Near the lower right corner of the window, check the box if you want the animation to loop, and set the time for frame delay. If you wish,
use the arrows to scan the animation cell (layer) by cell. If it looks good, click OK to name and save the file. If you did all that, I don’t know why you got the "flash" instead of the Save window. Try deleting the Preference file, and try again.
BG
Byron Gale
May 26, 2004
Flint,

Save For Web has it’s own preference file. If you’re on a PC, you can re-set the SFW preferences by holding CTRL-ALT while you start Save For Web.

If you’re on a Mac, you have to manually delete the file. You can search the forum for Save For Web and you’ll come up with a thread that tells how.

HTH,

Byron
FC
Flint_Comet
May 26, 2004
ok, cool. thanks.
AF
Andrew_F_Jones
May 27, 2004
Nothing happens when I click File > Save for Web. It is a Windows computer in my school lab. Any ideas?

Andrew
RB
Ralph_Brannon
May 27, 2004
First be Patient…
IF for instance you have a large file open and click save for web it can take some time to get it together.
I tend to go ahead and under image size go ahead and reduce to 72dpi, then go to save for web. Opens the windows in save for web much faster because the size of the file is much smaller.

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 27, 2004
try resetting SFW prefs: hold down Ctrl+Alt while you choose Save For Web, delete prefs.

Mac
JP
James_Press
May 1, 2005
I would like to "Save for Web", but this option is always "grayed out" with any image I open. How do I enable this option? I’m using PS 2.0
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
What mode are your images? [RGB, greyscale etc.]
Are they 8 bit?
JP
James_Press
May 1, 2005
The images are RGB. Not sure if they are "8 bit". Were do I find that info?
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
On the title bar of the Window, you have the filename and other stuff. Does it end with "(RGB/8)"?
JP
James_Press
May 1, 2005
It ends with (RGB*)
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
In my post, that smiley should have been a number eight …

I don’t know what "*" means – but I’m sure I’ve seen it in the past. You need someone with PSE 2 – I only have 3, which seems to be different.
JP
James_Press
May 1, 2005
There is nothing after the (RGB*). And some photos have the "*" and some don’t. I’ll keep "playing around" with it. I’m sure I’ll "discover" something. Thanks for your help anyway.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2005
Search on this forum to find the procedure to reset Save For Web preferences. I don’t remember what it is, but I know it’s different then for the rest of the application.

Ray
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
Ray

I don’t think that you can do that if SfW is not available to select. Maybe a general reset prefs would be worth trying.

James

Do you know how to do a reset prefs?
JP
James_Press
May 1, 2005
I checked out Preferences, but did not see any "reset" option.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2005
James,

Just try something for me …

Create a new file … File>New … make sure that it is RGB Now do File>Save for Web … is it still grayed out?

Wendy
MS
Mark_Sand
May 1, 2005
To reset the preferences for Save for Web, a recent post said to hold down Ctrl-Alt then choose Save For Web.

For a general reset, press and hold Alt-Ctrl-Shift immediately after launching PSE2 (the timing is critical, you may have to try this several times). A dialog box will pop up with the question "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings file?" Click YES.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2005
Mark,

If the option is grayed out then its not possible to launch save for web …

I’m hoping that a windows user will come along and give us the path to delete the file manually 🙂

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 2, 2005
manually;

C:program files>documents and settings>application data>photoshop elements>3.0>editor>photoshop preferences elements 3.0>>> Delete this file.
R
RobertHJones
May 2, 2005
That’s the main Elements Editor preferences file. Save For Web has a separate one. The one you want to delete is named "Adobe Save For Web 8.0 Prefs".

It’s located in folder: C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Adobe\Save For Web\8.0

Where "name" is associated with your login. You can have multiple copies of this file if you have multiple sign ons. It’s easiest to just use search to locate the file.

I believe that file will be recreated like the regular prefs file but I’m not absolutely sure. I’d play safe and rename it first and see what happens.

Bob
PA
Patti Anderson
May 2, 2005
James is using version 2 of Elements. I use Windows XP, but darned if I can find a Save for Web folder for just Elements 2. I also have PS CS installed also and there is a Save for Web folder for Photoshop 8.0, but nothing for Elements.

The path for that is the following, see if you have the same for Photoshop Elements 2:

C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Adobe\Save for Web\Photoshop 8.0

If you cannot find that, James, can you confirm that you have the following plugin file? SaveforWebEL.8be

It will be in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Plugins\Import-Export

Another idea…There was one incident awhile back when a user had either installed or moved his plugins to a different drive (or maybe it was that he accidentally deleted the SaveforWebEL plugin) and could not use Save for Web. The solution there was to reinstall PSE 2 making sure everything installed to the default locations.

Patti
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 2, 2005
I believe that PE 2 the path should end with …Save for Web/PhotoshopEL or something like that. Photoshop 8.0 indicates PE 3.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2005
Check that the plug-in SaveForWebEL.8BE Is the folder
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Plug-Ins\Import-Export

Ray
PA
Patti Anderson
May 2, 2005
I think we are looking at the wrong file to manually delete the Photoshop Elements 2 preferences. I just looked at my desktop where I only have Elements 2.0 installed and there is no Save for Web folder. To delete the PSE 2 preferences we have to delete the Recently Used Optimiztions.irs file. To double-check, I rename the .irs file and then did the CTRL+ALT as I saved for web. a new Recently Used Optimizations file was created. Here’s the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Photoshop 7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 settings\Recently Used Optimizations.irs

HTH
Patti
BT
Boris The Blade
Jul 25, 2005
I have set the slice guides and need to save the sliced up images as jpeg files.

In the past I have had no problems but Photoshop is only allowing me to save the slices as gif, even if I select the format to be jpeg or png.

What could be the problem?
L
Larry
Jul 25, 2005
"Bacon" wrote
I have set the slice guides and need to save the sliced up images as jpeg files.

In the past I have had no problems but Photoshop is only allowing me to
save
the slices as gif, even if I select the format to be jpeg or png.
What could be the problem?
I’ve also seen this, when I first used CS2 – nothing serious. I think a group of slices had been previously defined as gifs w/ the same compression settings.
Perhaps someone else can fill in the gaps, as I forget how I got past it, but it only took 30s of fiddling once I knew what the problem was. -alu
BT
Boris The Blade
Aug 28, 2005
I have created a website layout and set the slices, when I slice the images, the quality suffers, even if I untick the "optimized box", is it possible for me to have the images as crisp as they look as a PSD file?

I have uploaded two of the sliced images so you can see what I am talking about.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1926/edward012kv.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9199/edward020vq.jpg

On the banner, you will see above the telephone number, the quality suffers greatly, what is the reason for this and how can I fix this?

Thanks – John
BT
Boris The Blade
Aug 28, 2005
I have created a website layout and set the slices, when I slice the images, the quality suffers, even if I untick the "optimized box", is it possible for me to have the images as crisp as they look as a PSD file?

I have uploaded two of the sliced images so you can see what I am talking about.

On the banner, you will see above the telephone number, the quality suffers greatly, what is the reason for this and how can I fix this?

Thanks – John
BT
Boris The Blade
Aug 28, 2005

Thanks – John
R
Roberto
Aug 28, 2005
"Boris The Blade" wrote in message

On the banner, you will see above the telephone number, the quality suffers
greatly, what is the reason for this and how can I fix this?

Fix the colors so they save properly in a 256-color format and use .GIF format.
T
Tacit
Aug 28, 2005
In article <4312244e$0$97098$>,
"Boris The Blade" wrote:

Doesn’t look that bad from here.

For starters, if you untick "optimized," the quality goes down for a given file size.

But the whole point of hte Web is that you use "lossy" compression–the quality of your images on the Web is not as good as a .psd, but the file size is smaller.

If you want greater quality, make different choices in the "Optimize" palette in ImageReady, or different settings in the Save for Web command in Photoshop. Remember, more quality means bigger file size.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
FN
Flo Nelson
Aug 29, 2005
I have created a website layout and set the slices, when I slice the images,
the quality suffers, even if I untick the "optimized box", is it possible for me to have the images as crisp as they look as a PSD file?

Thanks – John

Couple of suggestions:

1. Anytime you have a lot of text, saving as a gif will give you a crisper look.
2. If you need to save as a jpeg and have text, next to the quality setting, click on the mask icon. Check "text" in the dialog box that shows up – that will preserve text at full quality.
3. Full quality images are pretty much a no-no on the web. Take forever to download and most people won’t even wait for them. If you know your audience and know they have high speed connections, then you can up the quality a bit. But don’t worry about slightly lesser quality – everybody’s in the same boat and surfers are used to it.

Flo
K
Kokoro
Aug 29, 2005
In alt.graphics.photoshop, Boris The Blade ordered an army of hamsters to type:

Thanks – John

Why does the text need to be on the pictures anyway? If they are for the web why cant the text be text?
K
KatWoman
Aug 29, 2005
the quality suffers, even if I untick the "optimized box", is it possible for me to have the images as crisp as they look as a PSD file?

Thanks – John
can’t see what you mean, quality looks fine
19 inch monitor running IE at 1024×768
O
OcTavO
Aug 30, 2005
the quality suffers, even if I untick the "optimized box", is it
possible
for me to have the images as crisp as they look as a PSD file?

"KatWoman" wrote in message
can’t see what you mean, quality looks fine
19 inch monitor running IE at 1024×768

Quality looks fine for the web to me too. (17" at 1024×768)
B
BUNTY
Aug 31, 2005
I am too facing the same problem…..while designig the web pages ……..from these problem i concluded if u save images writing text on it ,it will always decrese its quality….i have solved this problem by writing text in html and not to use image with text in it…………
WK
William Kazak
Oct 22, 2005

Thanks – John

Why are you asking to compare the cripsness to PSD?
Why don’t you save as jpg or save for web and look at your choices there? That is what your image really will look like.
Right?
Is your font too small for crispness?
William kazak
http://www.williamkazak.com

N
Nickeljohnson
Jan 25, 2006
As of late after I have ceated a layout for a website in photoshop and then "save for web" the colors are off. Does any one know whats going on?
N
Nickeljohnson
Jan 25, 2006
You know I used Adobes Gamma and corrected my monitor. It turned out to be perfect.
N
nomail
Jan 25, 2006
Nickeljohnson wrote:

As of late after I have ceated a layout for a website in photoshop and then "save for web" the colors are off. Does any one know whats going on?

Use ‘Convert to profile’ and convert the color space to sRGB if you aren’t already using that.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
E
embee
May 23, 2006
Hi,

My wife and I both shoot RAW, me with a Canon 1DMk2N and her with a Fuji s9500. I print most of my pictures, but she likes to post hers on the Internet.

We’ve come across something we don’t understand. If she processes one of her Fuji Raw files, then tries to Save for Web, the colours become very very dull. However, if she takes a jpg straight out of the camera and then Saves for Web, the colours are fine. With my Canon, both RAW and jpg files are also very vivid when I Save for Web.

What could be going on that makes RAW files out of the Fuji lose their vibrance completely when we try to Save for Web after processing? They are fine if we save them normally as jpg or tiff.
BH
Bill Hilton
May 23, 2006
Mike writes …

If she processes one of her Fuji Raw files, then tries to Save for Web, the colours become very very dull. However, if she takes a jpg straight out of the camera and then Saves
for Web, the colours are fine.

Most likely her jpegs are sRGB while the RAW files get converted to a wider gamut space like ProPhoto or AdobeRGB. ‘save for web’ ignores the profiles (you can chose to attach them but not many browsers will use them) so sRGB files look pretty similar to non-color managed files but saturated colors from wider gamut files look dull. You can really see this with the ProPhotoRGB image in my samples below.

You can avoid this by converting the working space to sRGB before going to ‘save for web’ …

With my Canon, both RAW and jpg files are
also very vivid when I Save for Web.

Probably you are saving both as sRGB.

Here are three files I did as an example earlier … the same RAW file was converted to tiff in sRGB, AdobeRGB and ProPhotoRGB working spaces and the color ‘red’ has three very different RGB values, though in a color managed application like Photoshop all three look similar … if I converted to sRGB and then ‘save for web’ all would look similar but just running ‘save for web’ the profiles are dropped and the wide gamut reds look very poor … if you wish you can download these and assign the profiles in Photoshop and they will then look very similar …

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_prophoto.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_adobergb.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_srgb.jpg

Bill
E
embee
May 23, 2006
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
Mike writes …

If she processes one of her Fuji Raw files, then tries to Save for Web, the colours become very very dull. However, if she takes a jpg straight out of the camera and then Saves
for Web, the colours are fine.

Most likely her jpegs are sRGB while the RAW files get converted to a wider gamut space like ProPhoto or AdobeRGB. ‘save for web’ ignores the profiles (you can chose to attach them but not many browsers will use them) so sRGB files look pretty similar to non-color managed files but saturated colors from wider gamut files look dull. You can really see this with the ProPhotoRGB image in my samples below.
You can avoid this by converting the working space to sRGB before going to ‘save for web’ …

With my Canon, both RAW and jpg files are
also very vivid when I Save for Web.

Probably you are saving both as sRGB.

Here are three files I did as an example earlier … the same RAW file was converted to tiff in sRGB, AdobeRGB and ProPhotoRGB working spaces and the color ‘red’ has three very different RGB values, though in a color managed application like Photoshop all three look similar … if I converted to sRGB and then ‘save for web’ all would look similar but just running ‘save for web’ the profiles are dropped and the wide gamut reds look very poor … if you wish you can download these and assign the profiles in Photoshop and they will then look very similar …
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_prophoto.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_adobergb.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/hilton_srgb.jpg

Bill

Many thanks Bill, I think you’ve solved it for me. I will check our colour settings when I get home.
Cheers.
D
dsulkers
Sep 25, 2006
When I save for the web my pictures turn out lighter in colour then the originals.

I haven’t had this problem when I use Photoshop on Windows…

Any ideas?
CB
charles badland
Sep 25, 2006
Check the FAQs on changing the color space before SFW. And you can set the SFW preview as indicated in the FAQ attached image (Use Document Color Profile or Standard Windows Color), but I think it is smarter to just recalibrate your monitor and set its gamma to 2.2.
B
brettmonaghan
Sep 26, 2006
Thanks charles

So simple. I also have had this problem since I have used save for web. Changing to 2.2 gamma works. At first I thought this will not work as the whole screen goes darker but exit photoshop and then come back the density of the image in photoshop adjusts lighter and the web image and the photoshop image are now the same. Too easy.
why does mac use 1.8 if there are all these probems?
B
Buko
Sep 26, 2006
why does mac use 1.8 if there are all these probems?

the 1.8 gamma is a holdover from back in the early ninties printing to the old Apple LaserWriters. Nobody I know uses a Gamma of 1.8. I’ve been using a Gamma of 2.2 since about ’97.
SF
Steve_Faulkner
Dec 19, 2006
I can’t seem to save images in the Save for web option . It appears greyed out. I have tried changing colour mode to RGB 8 bit with no result. Has anyone elese come across this.

Running OSX 10.4.8 on mac pro. PS 9.01 imageready 9.0 is installed
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2006
Trash SFW prefs
CB
charles badland
Dec 19, 2006
and/or make sure your Photoshop Application is residing in the Photoshop CS2 folder in the main Applications Folder.
R
Ram
Dec 20, 2006
Yup, that sounds like someone moved the Photoshop icon out of its folder.

Don’t forget to upgrade to 9.0.2.
LH
Lynn_Huetter
Jan 22, 2007
I somehow created the following situation. When I do a Safe For Web command, I get a windo that pops up with: Could not complete this operation because an assertion has failed. I’m sometimes able to save the picture, but then it ususally crashes and I receive this message: Microsoft Visual C ++ Library: Program: C:\Program….. abnormal program termination.

I’m using PS7.0 on Windows XP. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 22, 2007
Look in the FAQs. It’s there.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 22, 2007
And update to 7.0.1
D
Don
Apr 28, 2007
Is there a way to set the default view in the save for web dialog to "Fit to screen" CS2 Windows XP

Thanks
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
When I try save for web, the image opens in some other type of window that can only be closed by Esc key. I tried reinstalling Photo Shop 6 at least 3 times including removing and then reinstall but still same problem? Thanks
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
The top title reads save For Web but there are 3 tabs on top "Original"
"Optimized"
"2-Up"
"4-Up"
Down the left side
shows a hand tool
select lice
zoom
eyedropper
Something is corrupted. Can I be helped?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 28, 2007
?

What you are seeing is the Save for Web dialog. This window allows you to preview the file before saving it, and to set your preferred compression.

What did you expect?
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
That’s what I should and always have seen in the past but this is a new window? there is no way to do anything with the window but to Esc to close it? HELP At the bottom of the window there are some buttons that only show partially but cannot be actuated.
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
Its as if some of the window is missing from view. If I right click on the image, I have % size options and download rate to choose and color choices. All of the buttons that should be on the right side of the window are missing or obscured by the image window. I can click on the the top piece of the OK" button but get an error message "Cannot complete the operation because an assertion has failed" Hello? what’s going on please?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 28, 2007
Have you changed your screen resolution?

It looks like the Save for Web dialog box is partly off the screen.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 28, 2007
If that doesn’t fix it reset your Save for Web preferences.

See LenHewitt, "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" #1, 23 Jun 2004 1:05 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
Yes thanks how can I fix it?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 28, 2007
Hold ctrl-alt while selecting Save for Web.
AB
al_b
Jun 28, 2007
Thank you deleting the *psp file (THOR) did the trick.
K
killinchy
Apr 13, 2008
I’m using PS Elements 3. I have a jpeg image that I’d like to ‘save for web’, but the button is greyed out. I could do this a couple of days ago, but not today. I’ve looked at the Adobe site, but can find nothing that helps me.

Thanks
K
killinchy
Apr 13, 2008
On Apr 13, 12:09 pm, killinchy wrote:
I’m using PS Elements 3. I have a jpeg image that I’d like to ‘save for web’, but the button is greyed out. I could do this a couple of days ago, but not today. I’ve looked at the Adobe site, but can find nothing that helps me.

Thanks

I’m replying to myself…………….. just to add that I’ve deleted the SFW preferences and the PE preferences in Application Data folder. No change
D
Dean-MN
Apr 13, 2008
Hi,
Here’s a thread http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-26047.html from a few years ago. Maybe it contains a hint for you… Dean

killinchy wrote:
On Apr 13, 12:09 pm, killinchy wrote:

Thanks

I’m replying to myself…………….. just to add that I’ve deleted the SFW preferences and the PE preferences in Application Data folder. No change
C
Charles
Apr 13, 2008
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:09:02 -0700 (PDT), killinchy
wrote:

Thanks

Have you modified it? Using layers?

Flatten the layers, then it might work.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections