GRAYSCALE (mode) / DESATURATE (Adjustments)

HD
Posted By
hot_denim
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I want to turn an colour image into greyscale I change to Grayscale mode right ?, If I want to turn a selection in to grayscale I use the Desatureate command right ?.

But the Desaturate command gives poor results compared to Grayscale mode.

I am I doing the wrong thing ?, if not why the poor results ?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HD
hot_denim
Aug 21, 2004
Read the artice;

So how do I convert a portion of an image to greyscale ? (not using desaturate), not possible ?.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2004
Copy the portion, paste it as a new layer, then Ctrl-Shift-U (Unsaturate).
HD
hot_denim
Aug 21, 2004
Yrbkmgr

yes, i knew that way….

I ask, is there no direct way ? (i take it there is not), if not I ask why ?, is it something that has been overlooked in photoshop ?, or am I not considering something when thinking about it being overlooked ?.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2004
You don’t have to copy/paste the layer, it’s just a precaution, preserving the original. You can make your selection, then desaturate that selection.

How much more direct do you need to get?
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 22, 2004
When you say Desaturate using Hue/Saturation gives poor results, do you mean you don’t get a total grayscale image (some tint still exists) or just bad grayscale tonal dynamic range?

If tint residue, you have a bad/corrupt or inaccurate monitor profile and you nead to recalibrate.

Otherwise go with what others suggest. Search the web for a ton of info on selective grayscale in RGB and/or proper RGB to grayscale creation for optimum tonal fidelity and mask the area out on a layer.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 22, 2004
how about trying something different. copy to a new file. convert the new file to lab, select the best looking grey channel. or don’t convert and select the best looking grey channel. copy and paste into the orig image from the channel of the duplicate.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 22, 2004
Channel mixer. As adjustment layer.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Aug 22, 2004
Use Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer, check Monochrome, blend channels as you wish.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
exactly, I wrote down the readers digest summary 😉
HD
hot_denim
Aug 23, 2004
You don’t have to copy/paste the layer, it’s just a precaution, preserving the original. You can make your selection, then desaturate that selection.

But desaturating a selection (using the desaturate command) is same results as whole image (if I understood the context of you answer correctly). Why re-mention it ?….
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
hot denim, sometimes the threads with your participation reminds me of some discussions between captain Kirk and Spock… Remember that a lot of us are creative folks, Entropy is our muse. As an programmer, Logic is yours. You’ll need to learn to think with a different point of view, maybe….

I’m sure that Tony wanted to re-explain the directions because he did think that you were questionning the need of making a copy when you said "a more direct way". We like to have a "safety net", or a "base camp" when we work. Working on duplicate layers is one of them.

Maybe Tony overlooked the fact that you do not like the results of desaturate, and would prefer image>greyscale. Remember that desaturate works with certain proportions, like 60/30/10 for the RGB channels. It will work nicely on some images, on some others it won’t…

If you do want total control on the output, do use the channel mixer with Monochrome. As an adjustment layer allows you to make changes non-destructively.

Another method can be found at www.russellbrown.com
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 23, 2004
Waste of time.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
Maybe, but other persons are reading the posts too… 😀
O
Ol__Whozit
Aug 24, 2004
YrbkMgr, are you trying for membership in the CrankyPants Club with me and a few others? Who died and made you the "merit" sheriff around here lately? Especially AFTER someone posts an explanation or reply. Now THAT is a waste of time. Almost as much so for you to type as it was for the rest of us to read…Of course, if this is your new way to stretch your web personna, I and those like me can always make room for you. I liked you better before, though.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 24, 2004
I think sometimes you can’t help getting p***ed off with the rudeness, arrogance and pure bad manners of some denizens of this forum.

And the guilty parties should be made aware of their shortcomings.

This is only aimed at one person and, since that person is so intelligent and perceptive, they will know who they are!

As Tony says: Peace.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 24, 2004
John and I are on exactly the same page.

Thanks for articulating that John.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 24, 2004
hey! i’m not THAT bad! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections