P
Posted By
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am interested in buying a Wacom graphics tablet and wanting opinions from users out there that use PSE2. I am finding it rather difficult to use my mouse for such items as the Magnetic Laso, etc. I have seen the Graphire2, but I want to consider the other alternatives by Wacom, like the new Intuos2 Platinum 6 x 8, etc. The tablet will be used on a Mac with OS 10.2.6.

TIA…Gerry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 3, 2003
Have you done a search on Wacom or Tablet in this forum ? This subject was discussed not so long ago.

Ray
J
Jodz
Jul 6, 2003
Gerry,
Thanks for posting this…I have the same question but am running XP. Can some of you experts out there get back to us with your experiences?
Thanks,
jodz
R
Ray
Jul 6, 2003
Cintiq… I’ve seen this unit once… It’s a marvel!

I remember someone posting here, in February I think, about anything bigger than 4×5 being too big for a common desk. It ends up being more a problem than a nice tool.

And Barbara is right, there’s a giant price difference between the two. In Canada, a Graphire 2 sells for 149$ whereas an Intuos 6×8 sells for 475$. After looking at both, if you only plan to use it with PSE (version 1 or 2), I really believe Graphire would be a good choice over the Intuos. However, if you want to dig deeper in graphics design (painting softwares, cad, etc), you might consider the Intuos. I’ve had a Graphire 2 for more than two years now and the areas it helps me the most is selection (with the selection brush / polygonal lasso) and delicate painting.

Ray
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 7, 2003
GERRY,
I went through all the posts about the tablets and thought that was a darn good taste of what’s what in tablets.
I bought a HyperPen (Aik…BRAND) and returned it. The mouse with it was so stiff I know I would never use it. I couldn’t get it up and running and got no help from CompUSA.
The salesman hadn’t even known they had a Wacom in stock. I ended up with the latter, had no problem getting it going and the pen and mouse are both just fine.
It’s over my head but I want to learn it and get rid of the wrist aches. Marty
SR
Steven Reno
Jul 7, 2003
Gerry

Ray brought up some good points. One thing many people don’t realize is how much more arm movement is needed in the bigger sizes. I’ve been learning Painter for a couple of months now and I believe the 6 x 8 to be the most popular size. A smaller size would be too confining for painting.

Since the tablet is very important to my work this is the set-up I’ve found most practical. I put the tablet [6 x 8] on the left side of the pullout for the keyboard then the pen and holder and then the mouse and pad all the way to the right. The keyboard is on the desk above the tablet where I can hit the hotkeys easily. The keyboard had little legs to raise the back which helped typing. Also clamped the drawer so it wouldn’t move.

Wacom has great customer support.

Steve
R
Ray
Jul 7, 2003
Steve, I second that… Wacom has a superb customer service!

Btw after the installation of the Wacom software, you’ll have several new plugins that are designed specifically for Photoshop / Photoshop Elements.

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 7, 2003
Thank you everyone for your opinions and help. Yes Ray, I realize that living in Canada that things cost a lot more money. I have used the larger graphic tablets with a few CAD programs in the past so I was thinking of a larger one instead of the Graphire 2. It has been extremely painful trying to use a mouse with PSE2 and seeing that I am very new to this program, I feel that a graphic tablet is really a requirement. I tried my mouse using the Magnetic Lasso and I could never get it close enough to an object to my satisfaction. Luckily, I can get an educational discount with whichever Wacom tablet I get. I will take a hard look at the Graphire 2, the original Intuos and the new Intuos Platinum.

You all have been a great help and I thank each and everyone of you.

Regards,

Gerry
JS
J S H
Jul 9, 2003
I’m certainly no expert but I have experience with Wacom tablets. I love them!
More precise than a mouse and far more comfortable. I have much less wrist and hand pain since I switched.
It’s my primary input device – use a mouse rarely and only with my left hand in conjunction with the tablet and pen for my right hand.
I have the Wacom Intuos2 4×5 and it’s wonderful!! It came bundled with Elements2,nik’s penPalette(nimultimedia.com) which is a wonderful little program and Corel’s Painter Classic.
My previous tablet -the Graphire2 I still use with my laptop! The 6×8 size, while tempting ,was way out of my price range and my 4×5 just fits on my desk.

J

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections