N
Posted By
nalatalb
Apr 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I move CS2 to an extrernal hard drive? If so, how do I do it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
Tacit
Apr 7, 2007
In article ,
"talbnesor" wrote:

We can not answer your question. You did not give us enough information.

What kind of computer do you have? What operating system are you using?

If you are using a Mac, the answer is yes. Just click on the Photoshop folder and drag it to any drive you want; it’s that easy. Nothing else to it.

If you are using a Windows computer, most Windows programs will not work correctly if you just drag them to a different volume. There is, however, software you can buy which is designed to move programs around; the software makes the necessary changes to the system Registry when it moves the programs.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
F
friesian
Apr 8, 2007
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:44:16 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
"talbnesor" wrote:

If you are using a Mac, the answer is yes. Just click on the Photoshop folder and drag it to any drive you want; it’s that easy. Nothing else to it.

If you are using a Windows computer, most Windows programs will not work correctly if you just drag them to a different volume. There is, however, software you can buy which is designed to move programs around; the software makes the necessary changes to the system Registry when it moves the programs.

Couldn’t it just be installed onto that hard drive? My computer recognizes my external drive as a local drive, just like my regular drives.

Recently, I had to get a new computer, and I put my old hard drive into one of the open bays. While I would prefer to have my programs running off the main drive, I cannot find installation discs for a few of them, so I have them running off the other drive. Those programs do not show up in the program list when i use the start menu, but I was able to give them a desktop icon with the other drive as the location. They run fine.
N
nalatalb
Apr 8, 2007
On Apr 7, 11:44 am, "talbnesor" wrote:
It’s WindowsXP Professional with 80GB hard drive capacity. The external hard drive is a Maxton with 120GB capacity
N
nalatalb
Apr 8, 2007
On Apr 8, 4:45 am, Meghan Noecker wrote:
In article ,
"talbnesor" wrote:

Couldn’t it just be installed onto that hard drive? My computer recognizes my external drive as a local drive, just like my regular drives.

Recently, I had to get a new computer, and I put my old hard drive into one of the open bays. While I would prefer to have my programs running off the main drive, I cannot find installation discs for a few of them, so I have them running off the other drive. Those programs do not show up in the program list when i use the start menu, but I was able to give them a desktop icon with the other drive as the location. They run fine.- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

I have already installed it on my internal hard drive. I am concerned that If I try to install it on my external Maxtor drive it won’t work, because I understand that Adobe gave me a licence for only one PC, and if I try to install in in the Maxtor, it will recognize that as amother PCV. Am I wrong?
J
jrzyguy
Apr 8, 2007
"talbnesor" wrote in message
In article ,
"talbnesor" wrote:

Recently, I had to get a new computer, and I put my old hard drive into one of the open bays. While I would prefer to have my programs running off the main drive, I cannot find installation discs for a few of them, so I have them running off the other drive. Those programs do not show up in the program list when i use the start menu, but I was able to give them a desktop icon with the other drive as the location. They run fine.- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

I have already installed it on my internal hard drive. I am concerned that If I try to install it on my external Maxtor drive it won’t work, because I understand that Adobe gave me a licence for only one PC, and if I try to install in in the Maxtor, it will recognize that as amother PCV. Am I wrong?

As I understand it from meeting with adobe. As long as you dont have it running on two machines at the same time you are fine.

I was able to to LEGALY bring CS2 home from work and install it on my machine. now..as long as i am not using that licence both at home and at work at the same time…then adobe is cool with that.

cant see why you would want to run it from 2 hd’s at home at the same time….so you should be ok from the legal standpoint

have you contacted adobe?
F
friesian
Apr 8, 2007
On 8 Apr 2007 12:20:23 -0700, "talbnesor" wrote:

You should be fine. My original Photoshop CD set is for 5.5, and I bought that with my desktop several years ago. I later installed it on my new laptop. Later, that laptop got fried, so I put it on a new laptop. Then last summer, I tried the upgrade to CS2. It was great, so I bought it. I installed it to the laptop, and I bought a new desktop so that I could use it on a desktop. Then, a couple weeks ago, the desktop’s motherboard fried, so I had to get a new desktop.

So, I have had legal versions of photoshop on 5 computers, all based on the original CD set and 3 of them with the upgraded CS, and they have always run fine.
R
Roberto
Apr 9, 2007
"talbnesor" wrote in message
In article ,
"talbnesor" wrote:

– Show quoted text –

A hard drive is not a PC. Installing it twice on the same machine is not illegal. You will most likely make a mess but it isn’t illegal. You really should uninstall it from the other drive and then install it on other. Otherwise you will either…

1) Have the setup program recognize that it is already installed and offer to uninstall and/or repair it. I doubt the setup program will let you do a second install on the same computer without removing the first install first.

2) If it will let you install to a second drive without uninstalling the first installed copy then the chances are good the setup program will update all pointers that pointed to the first install so that they new point to the second install which would break and make inoperable the first install.

Uninstall and then reinstall. There is no reason of any kind to install the same software twice on the same computer but different drives. You will save drive space to boot!

=(8)
LB
Larry Bud
Apr 13, 2007

No, because other information is stored on your Windows installation drive no matter where you install the program.

So Photoshop will work on the computer that you install it on, but not on any other computers.

I don’t believe your license covers what you want to do anyway.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections