KL
Posted By
Kenneth Liffmann
Jun 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I should like to construct a web page. Any suggestions from this sophisticated group? Of course, I have Notepad but are there other HTML editors with templates which should facilitate the process, I believe.
Ken

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth Haney
Jun 29, 2003
Would this be a page for displaying pictures? If so, have you looked at the Elements options under Save for Web? I’ve created some nice pages with it. Depending on your needs, it may or may not need further work.
R
Ray
Jun 29, 2003
Keneneth,

I’ve used (at the office) Microsoft Frontpage 2002 and it’s really easy to use, and can get as technical as you’d like. In past, for my personnal usage, I’ve also used AceHtml (http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/). They’ve been in the business for quite some time now (five or six years I think) and the package is now very professional, at a consumer price.

Ray
AM
Al Millstein
Jun 30, 2003
Kenneth

See if the following URL gets you to the page for downloading Netscape 4.79.

< http://wp.netscape.com/download/0509102/10000-en-win32-4.79- complete-128_qual.html>

Hope this works for you.

Al
P
Phosphor
Jun 30, 2003
Netscape 4.79.

Surely there’s a more up to date version than that, Al? For mac they’re up to 7.02. Anyway, it still includes composer–doesn’t have the "canned" pages that Front Page does, but also doesn’t produce code that tends to not to render on anything but IEwin.
DS
Dick Smith
Jun 30, 2003
NS is up to 7.02 for the PC as well.

Dick
DH
Dave Hamer
Jun 30, 2003
Al Millstein

I think you have to play around with the Netscape version in terms of what Windows operating system you have. For example, I have two computers. The older one has Windows 98, and wouldn’t operate Netscape with anything beyond 4.something, so it remains with Netscape 4.7.
I have Windows 98 and Netscape 7.02 works just fine.

Dave
DS
Dick Smith
Jun 30, 2003
Mac,

Yes it still has Composer.

Dick
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Jun 30, 2003
Thanks for all this info.
I have WIN-XP and also use Internet Explorer. I looked around the many programs that came already installed with the computer, and under ALL PROGRAMS>INTERNET EXPLORER (after "games" in the list) there is >Web Publishing Wizard. Perhaps this is a cousin to Netscape Composer. I can not find out anything about it – no help files that I can see.
Ken
GD
Grant Dixon
Jun 30, 2003
Both Netscape and Microsoft have made free web authoring tools. Netscape made Composer and Microsoft made a free version of FrontPage both were very good and while there were difference they didn’t add up to much. Way back in the dark ages of the web I taught Doreen how to do HTML using one of these programs and while it doesn’t really matter I can’t remember which one. I suspect that the only one still available is Composer and it is a very good place to start. In any event you can check out her first effort to see what they can do at http://home.cogeco.ca/~doreen.dixon/ddcanoe.htm

Now, after creating and maintaining a number of web sites on a professional level Doreen has move on to my Favourite product Homesite but this is not for those that don’t know how to hand roll HTML.

Grant
R
Ray
Jun 30, 2003
I used to do everything in… Notepad ! Honnest! In 1994.

Since then, things have changed a bit (for the best, that is!) 🙂

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jun 30, 2003
I used to do everything in… Notepad ! Honnest! In 1994

Ray, lots of people still do. You’d be amazed how many people come to the Apple support forum asking why the one mac in their office can’t see their webpage. The first question is always, "notepad?"

EDIT I should mention for those who don’t know that you can make a decent webpage in notepad, Appleworks or anything else as long as you know enough to be able to go in and clean up the code afterwards. All the apps which have web page creation as a subset of what they do tend to generate pretty junky code if you plan to just rely on "save as HTML." But if you know what you’re doing they can work just fine.
R
Ray
Jun 30, 2003
No, it’s from the IT dept, it’s used to test the webpage for compatibility issue (so I’ve been told).

It’s teal. But I would have bought only to familiarize myself with Mac. They sell computers all the time at a fixed 100 C$ (73 U$). So I’ve figured this would have come cheap, somehow, for a learning tool.

And once I would have been done with it, I would have given it to my brother, who still uses a Mac LC… the LC, btw, is living on borrowed time. Many of his applications requiring updates do no support Mac OS 8, which my brother’s computer is still running. I’m not sure but I think it Mac OS 8 (or perhaps 7).

Ray
PD
Pete D
Jun 30, 2003
Comcast cable provided me with 25 mb of space for web pages. But that is all, just the space, no software and no support.

The only thing I have is a page that has my C: on the left and on the right is my web page (which is blank execpt fot the default index page).

I made two pages with Publisher and sent them to "my web page" here but it did not work. Calling comcast cable they said they were not compatable with Publisher.

None of this makes any sense to someone that knows nothing about these darn things.

Oh Comcsat cable did say to go to this site:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/javascript_cod e_library/

But that does not answer my questions of just how the heck I get pages to where they go once I do them. If anyone thinks they can help I have a screen shot of that publishing page from comcast. Maybe someone here already uses it. Hope!

Pete

(Grant, I know I should be working on something else. I will be sending very soon)
R
Ray
Jun 30, 2003
Pete,

Publisher can create website, but it has no means to upload them to your website. So, the information you need is the ftp site (many service providers use this mean to upload webpages). You’ll also need to know your username / password for this ftp server (sometimes, they differ from the ones of your cable connection). Other softwares will publish your website directly from the editor, like Frontpage. But to do so, the service providers needs to support Frontpage (not all do).

Then, you can upload your html pages and images to your website using the ftp command (or a small utility downloaded from the internet) in Windows.

Ray
P.S. I’m home today, so write to me if you need more help. I’ve been there before, so perhaps I can help 🙂
P
Phosphor
Jun 30, 2003
Netscape 7.1 is out for all platforms today:

<http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections