LK
Posted By
Leen Koper
Jun 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone familiar with the Mystical lighting software from AutoFX? I’m particularly impressed by this image:

< http://www.autofx.com/mystical_lighting/mystical_lighting_fi les/shading_brush_lg.jpg>

But can’t this be done as well -before I spend my $ 300- by using the burn and dodge tools?

I tried to do this before on this image
<http://www.fotografieleenkoper.nl> >huwelijk >page 10, image #7. I used these tools to create sunspots; dodged them a little and painted over with just only a little yellow.
Could it be done better with this software?

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ray
Jun 29, 2003
Leen

AutoFx softwares produces very nice results (I have Dreamsuite Gel Series and a friend of mine have Mystical Lighting). You can acheive stuff that would otherwise take long hours or would be nearly impossible to acheive. But…

They are a p… in the b.. to use 🙂 For example, they use "memory dots" to save a state. But, once you go back to a certain state, that precise memory dot is erased. You need to set it back. Annoying behavior. Many of their functionnalities use the paint tool. Now, you paint a line, wait for the software to apply the effect on the line, and look at result after that. You don’t like ? Undo the line, completely. Sometimes, it’s annoying because you’d have liked to re-do only a small portion of a long path. And unless you’re a real master of mouse (or the pen if using a tablet), it’s very difficult to break a path in several smaller strokes and still have a very straight line.

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jun 29, 2003
Leen,

Wise choice! If all you were interested in was the shading brush, I didn’t see anything you couldn’t do well enough with just the standard dodge and burn tools and a little care. Even with the shading brush, you still need to make the artistic decision of what to darken and lighten and how much. So, I don’t know that it buys you much.

The memory and meal will be a good investment.

Bob
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jun 29, 2003
Leen, I don’t want to do that! It was about a year ago that such an offer surfaced and quickly disappeared. A few of us jumped in quickly, though. But it may never happen again…..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections