Posted By
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good Afternoon,

Using Mac OS 10.2.6 and an Epson 2400 Perfection scanner and when using PSE2 to import a image, under the TWAIN driver, I can crop any image after the image is scanned in, then select Rescan and the crop is reflected. I realize that I can also crop using PSE2 and what I would like to know if there is any advantage to crop using TWAIN first, or PSE2 after the image is scanned?

Gerry

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth Haney
Jun 28, 2003
I’ll be interested in hearing what the experts say, but when I know I’ll only be using a portion of a scanned image, that’s all I scan. If, however, you think you might want the whole thing, scan it and crop later. Just remember to make sure you scan at a resolution high enough to support unresampled resizing if at all possible. For example, scanning (or later cropping out) half of a 4X6 image that you want to print later at 300ppi and 4 X 6 means you should be scanning at 600ppi.
P
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Chuck – Thank you kindly for that info and it certainly does make sense to me to do the scanning without cropping, then use PSE2 for cropping. I never thought about what you said and I really thank you for your help.

Beth – I am a newbie and I am still getting my feet "wet" with PSE2 and my new scanner. What you said makes sense also, if I follow you correctly. I have plenty of hard drive space to scan at 600ppi.

Thank you Chuck and Beth for your feedback.

Gerry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections