"Could not Complete Operation b/c Assertion has Failed" Error!!

B
Posted By
bradchance
Jul 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone have any idea at all what is up with that error message! I am almost to my breaking limit here! I get the above error whenever I try to Save for Web in Photoshop 7.01 and when I try to open a file in ImageReady 7.01. I can open a file in Photoshop and then "jump to" ImageReady, but then when I choose Save Optimized As I get the same error message again.

I have un-installed and re-installed the program about 6-8times, I even restored my PC from a back-up ghost image and un-installed other programs such as JASC Paint Shop Pro 7 and Macromedia Dreamweaver that I thought may be interfering somehow with the programs and it still did not rectify the situation!

Just two days ago everything was working fine. I have had this problem once before in the past and managed to fix it by luck. I just un-installed my Macromedia programs and re-installed the Adobe software right afterwards and it seemed to work again. Unfortunately it seems as though no matter what I do this time I cannot for the life of me get it to work properly again!

BTW- Adobe, I looked throught these forums and it appears that many people are experiencing issues saving files with Photoshop/ImageReady. I hope that you all are working on this issue, as it seems prevalent in general. Also, what’s up with having to call a long distance number for tech support and why no 24/7 tech support? Surely you are a large enough software company to warrant the need for a toll-free number and 24/7 tech support!

One last thing before I finish this novel :)! It should be noted that I am using the Educational version of this software that I purchased as part of the Adobe Web Collection. I know it shouldn’t matter because the software it supposed to be virtually identical to the commercial versions, but I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Thanks in Advance to Anyone who can Help Me!!

Sincerely,

B. Chance

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 16, 2003
Try doing a forum search on the word "assertion".
B
bradchance
Jul 16, 2003
Thank you! I am new to this forum and did not even know you could do a search for keywords. I was able to find several topics on the problem and will try the recommended fixes I’ve read tonight when I get home. Hopefully the fixes will be successful for me as well.

Thanks Again!
B
bradchance
Jul 16, 2003
Ok, thanks again for the tip. I followed the instructions on antoher post to reset my color preference settings in Photoshop and that did the trick. Man that was a real headache! Adobe really should patch that problem. I still can’t believe that a un-install of the software and OS , then a re-install of the software and image of my hard drive did not fix the problem. I can’t believe how simple the fix turned out to be, wish I would have known that sooner :)! Thanks again!
B
bradchance
Jul 16, 2003
Dave,

I did not make a Ghost image of my Hard Drive until after I had all software programs installed on my computer, updated them appropriately and made sure they worked as they should. Before I re-installed the Ghost image of my Hard Drive I even ran the SpyBot program and got rid of all cache, cookies and registry entries on my PC that no longer had valid entries (I ran SpyBot of course after un-installing Photoshop and ImageReady). Anyway, when I re-installed from the image I made of my Hard Drive it gave me the option to overwrite the previous OS, which is what I chose to do to ensure there were no left over files from my current OS. I think it may be something related to a downloaded file from the automatic update program that runs occasionally when you first startup Photoshop. It has to be a problem with the software IMHO, but of course I cannot be sure.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 16, 2003
Brad,

It’s never happened to me, but corrupted preferences files seem to happen reasonably frequently. It isn’t necessarily a shortcoming of photoshop as much as it is other system variables.

Long winded way to say, "why do preferences become corrupted?" We don’t know.

Peace,
Tony

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections