P
Posted By
Phosphor
Jun 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, everyone. Here’s <http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw> a link to a site with a bunch of free photoshop plug-ins, including one that will let you create .ico files in PE. They’re all available for both platforms, but their wording for mac is tad ambiguous–can’t always tell whether they really are X compatible or if you need to be running in classic to use them.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Well, I guess "absolute necessity" depends on what you do with PE. I was very glad to find this plug in because I am working on a couple of websites and it’s nice to have favicons, for which you need the .ico files.

If you go here <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?t=12> you will find a huge number of layer styles, brushes, etc. that are all free. They were meant for full photoshop, but most of them also work in PE with no problems. Generally, if a layer style gives you trouble or doesn’t work, you just throw it out and that’s that.

I think probably most people here would vote for the Shipley downloads as the most important for photo correcting. They allow the use of curves, which is like levels but much more precise. They can be tricky to install, though.

If you go to the links <http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Links.html> page of the Challenge site, you will find a lot of very useful stuff, both downloads and tutorials.
P
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks for the link, Barbara. The ICO format plug-in does work in OS X. Two cool fonts for downloading, too. I’ll be sending in my donation.
P
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Hi, Jane. Well, I don’t think you’ll hurt anything by installing it, but it is just a demo for a commercial product. That’s why they get the negative comments on the Exchange page–that stuff is supposed to be freeware.

Personally, I don’t download demos of for-pay stuff unless it’s something I would buy if I liked it. But certainly there’s no need to worry about your system or anything. I also don’t like that you can’t even view their site without giving them information.
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 29, 2003
Hi Barbara, Thank you for the info! As a beginner, I am a bit wary of some of the things that I don’t really understand. (The info that such sites ask me for, that I’m not really sure of, I put in the info for one of our dogs, gain access for the site, then go from there.)
I just bought the AlienSkin triple pack of EyeCandy 4000,Xen2flex,Splat, that was recommended by my instructor. I must admit that I haven’t installed it yet, as summer has busted loose here, and we have been outdoors most of the time or with the little grandkids.
Looking forward to a rainy day that I can ‘hide’ and install this. Jane
P
Phosphor
Jun 29, 2003
Hi, Jane. Yes, EyeCandy has a wonderful reputation. But I would keep in mind when you are buying these things that many of them won’t work in X. So if you have a new computer in your future, remember to check whether you can use things on the new system as well.
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 29, 2003
Hi Barbara, I have considered this OS 9 vs OS X problem, and that’s why I plan to have all my Macs running right here on my huge door-tables that my husband made. And if something won’t run on one, it pretty well better run on one of the others.
And I know that when I have problems, that I can yell HELP right here and you all will come to my rescue!
Jane

PS I threw that Andromeda one into the trash.
SR
Schraven Robert
Jun 29, 2003
Barbara,

Thank you for the "HERE"-link.
It’s an adobe link so should be compatible with PE.

Robert
SF
Sara Froehlich
Jun 29, 2003
Jane, the 3D filter in PSE (or PS either, they are the same) can’t hold a candle to the Andromeda one; however the Andromeda one has a bit of a learning curve. I have had it on Win 98 and XP, and install and use was great, no probelms…but never used it on a mac so can’t say. If you try it read the manual and you will figure it out.

Sara
R
Ray
Jun 29, 2003
Sara,

I didn’t know you were here as well! Glad to see you, hope you’re having a good time with your daughter 🙂

Ray
SF
Sara Froehlich
Jun 30, 2003
Ray, I peek in when I get a chance 🙂 She left Wednesday…I am back to work again! And we did have a great time, thank you for asking 🙂

Checking out the filters Barbara posted about, and I see they have some for Illustrator too! :))

Sara
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 30, 2003
Hi Sara! Things are really busy here too, all this summer fun. We just had our annual family reunion yesterday, and had a new baby cousin, Sam, baptised.
Glad you had a great visit with your daughter too.

I confess that I haven’t installed my triple EyeCandy thing, (nor have I finished the index yet). I promise that I will have it installed before Sunday.
I will get the Andromeda demo downloaded, Barbara brought it to my attention that even tho the demo got a bad review, it was not because of the product itself.
I just looked at the whole 3D luxe program, and it is $109, and looks awesome(remember how I loved those spheres).
I will wait until after Sunday, before I decide.
Jane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections