edjh
Dec 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Pat wrote:
Hi All,
This is probably not directly related to Photoshop, but I don’t know where else to ask.
I am trying to help an elderly friend to get into Photoshop. He has a Mac running OS 9.1, is not at all computer literate, and I am a Windows user. Last week, when we started, his images would open in Photoshop, no problem. I introduced him to the basics of using his computer and the very basics of adjusting colour, contrast, cropping and printing. I left him to practice. This week, we can open an image from a CD ok, but when we try to open any of his (already on his HD) we get an error message: "Operating System error – 4007" and no further clue!

Any Mac user able to suggest what I might check?

TIA,

Pat
I have never seen that error, but I have to ask, where did the images on his HD come from? Another CD? Highlight one and hit Command-I (Get Info). This is a lot like Properties on a PC. It will tell you if the image is locked or whatever.

How are you trying to open the images?

Does this happen when he creates an image in Photoshop from scratch? Also. try rebuilding the Desktop.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
john
Dec 28, 2003
In article <bsmh93$ejq$>, "Pat"
wrote:

[…]
This week, we can open an image from a CD ok, but when we try to open any of his (already on his HD) we get an error message: "Operating System error – 4007" and no further clue!

What I am about to suggest is the last resort of a scoundrel, but do it: trash the photoshop preferences file. (It will be recreated clean when he starts PS again.) A quick way to do it is to press command-f then type in "Adobe Photoshop 6 Prefs" and press the go button (magnifying glass). Drag it to the trash when it is found.

I suspect, but only vaguely, that his color profiles are mucked up or the one chosen is missing. If that doesn’t do the trick, then the next resort is to reinstall PS.
P
Pat
Dec 28, 2003
Hi All,
This is probably not directly related to Photoshop, but I don’t know where else to ask.
I am trying to help an elderly friend to get into Photoshop. He has a Mac running OS 9.1, is not at all computer literate, and I am a Windows user. Last week, when we started, his images would open in Photoshop, no problem. I introduced him to the basics of using his computer and the very basics of adjusting colour, contrast, cropping and printing. I left him to practice. This week, we can open an image from a CD ok, but when we try to open any of his (already on his HD) we get an error message: "Operating System error – 4007" and no further clue!

TIA,

Pat
C
Chris
Dec 29, 2003
In article ,
(jjs) wrote:

In article <bsmh93$ejq$>, "Pat"
wrote:

[…]
This week, we can open an image from a CD ok, but when we try to open any of his (already on his HD) we get an error message: "Operating System error – 4007" and no further clue!

Check to make sure Colorsync is installed and active.

C
E
edjh
Dec 30, 2003
Pat wrote:

Images that are giving trouble originally came from a Nikon digicam. They all opened OK before, but not now.
I tried opening the images by Photoshop File> Open and by Drag and drop. Same error message.
Don’t know about an image created in PS but images from my CD open OK. How do I rebuild the Desktop? Remember, I am not a Mac user and he has been a computer non-user to date!
If they prove to be locked, how do I unlock?

Thanks.
/snip/

If they are locked you should be able to unlock them from the Get Info dialog.

Rebuild Desktop by restarting while holding down Command-Option. A box will pop up after it’s restarted asking if you really want to rebuild.

Whether this will do any good, I don’t know, but it’s worth a try. —
P
Pat
Dec 30, 2003
Images that are giving trouble originally came from a Nikon digicam. They all opened OK before, but not now.
I tried opening the images by Photoshop File> Open and by Drag and drop. Same error message.
Don’t know about an image created in PS but images from my CD open OK. How do I rebuild the Desktop? Remember, I am not a Mac user and he has been a computer non-user to date!
If they prove to be locked, how do I unlock?

Thanks.
"edjh" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
Hi All,
This is probably not directly related to Photoshop, but I don’t know
where
else to ask.
I am trying to help an elderly friend to get into Photoshop. He has a
Mac
running OS 9.1, is not at all computer literate, and I am a Windows
user.
Last week, when we started, his images would open in Photoshop, no
problem.
I introduced him to the basics of using his computer and the very basics
of
adjusting colour, contrast, cropping and printing. I left him to
practice.
This week, we can open an image from a CD ok, but when we try to open
any of
his (already on his HD) we get an error message: "Operating System
error –
4007" and no further clue!

TIA,

Pat
I have never seen that error, but I have to ask, where did the images on his HD come from? Another CD? Highlight one and hit Command-I (Get Info). This is a lot like Properties on a PC. It will tell you if the image is locked or whatever.

How are you trying to open the images?

Does this happen when he creates an image in Photoshop from scratch? Also. try rebuilding the Desktop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections