CS
Posted By
chris_solomon
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I converted a photo to sepia, and it looks great on screen. The problem comes in when I try to print it out. It’s 5 times darker than the product on the screen. I am using CS and printing on an Epson R200 at best picture quality.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KT
Kay_Tannee
Aug 10, 2004
Turn your monitors brightness down.

You are working in RGB on your monitor and when you print it takes that data and sends it straight to the printer. Every monitor has slight variations in colour and brightness, and your PC will have no idea what you are seeing on your monitor. So if your monitors brightness is at full wack, photoshop doesn’t know this.

The only option is to fiddle manually with prints and your monitors brightness and colour or buy/rent equipment such as Eye-One Match to measure your monitor and generate a ICM profile to convert to and print from.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 10, 2004
Turn your monitors brightness down

Whatever happened to things as callibration and profiling?

If you can’t quite get wat you want, turn your standards down.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/>

Rob
KT
Kay_Tannee
Aug 10, 2004
Covered profiling in a haphazard manner in last paragraph.

I like to start off my replies with simple lazy answers.

And turning his monitor brightness down would solve it if he wasn’t looking for perfect colour reproduction and didn’t have the money nor time to generate an ICC profile. *Shrugs*
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Kay – the display has nothing to do with what is printed. They are two different devices handled by two different color profiles. If the display is correct, and the printer profile is correct – THEN they will match. And he doesn’t need much time or any money to get his prints to reasonable quality.

Chris – read the computer-darkroom articles, they explain what you need to do.
CS
chris_solomon
Aug 10, 2004
I got the picture printed, albeit a roundabout way that took 4 prints to do, but I needed the photo finished for a spread. I had to adjust the lightnes slider in the hue/saturation layer three sperate times to get the look I was going for. I appreciate the inputs, and will look into the articles at Computer Darkroom… looks to be a decent resource.

Thanks!

C
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 10, 2004
This is enough to make a grown man cry!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections