Posted By
crescent_au
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what’s the range covered by shadow, midtone and highlight? For example, shadows are the darkest part of image. So does that mean shadow only cover pure black and highlight cover pure white? or do they cover a specific range? My curiosity arises from the "levels" and "curves" adjustments in Photoshop.

Thanks
Ben

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WS
Warren Sarle
Dec 27, 2003
"Ben" wrote in message
Can someone tell me what’s the range covered by shadow, midtone and highlight? For example, shadows are the darkest part of image. So does that mean shadow only cover pure black and highlight cover pure white? or do they cover a specific range? My curiosity arises from the "levels" and "curves" adjustments in Photoshop.

In the Levels or Curves dialog box, click on Options, then look at the clipping values. The default values are 0.5% each, which means that the 0.5% darkest pixels are set to the shadow color and the
0.5% lightest pixels are set to the highlight color by the "Auto"
commands. Details are in the help.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 28, 2003
Ben wrote:
Hi all,

Shadow is often defined as the darkest textured area with no color. The highlight is the lightest white textured area. Other areas where you don’t need texture may go to pure black or pure white. Not every image has a shadow and highlight – for example a sky with white clouds has a highlight, but usually no shadow.

Choosing the highlight and shadow are the most important adjustment you can make to an image.

Third on the list is selecting an area of neutral gray, preferably near the midtone, to get rid of an overall color cast, which most images have.

Adjusting the midtone changes the overall brightness of the image, and this is fourth on the list in order of importance.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections