Help please: how to change colour in this way …

M
Posted By
ms
Sep 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Surely this must be possible, but I am not a very advanced user of PS and can’t work out how. Can anyone please advise:

I have a bitmap file of an object which is green in colour, pale at one end and getting darker at the other, to simulate shadow. I want to change it to orange, an orange which must match exactly the colour of another bitmap file. How do I do this and keep the gradation of light to dark across the image? The gradation doesn’t have to be exactly the same as the original.

Clearly the pipette and paint bucket won’t do here!

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
ms
Sep 21, 2006
I should have said that the best I can manage so far is to open hue/saturation, move the hue slider to the far left, then the saturation slider towards the far right, which can give me an orange of sorts; I can then adjust this with the RGB colour control (Ctrl+B).

This doesn’t seem very elegant though and means quite a lot of time spent matching the new colour to the original. Is there a way to use the pipette to sample the colour and transfer it to the new bitmap without losing the shading detail?

Thanks again.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 22, 2006
"Martin S." wrote in message
Surely this must be possible, but I am not a very advanced user of PS and can’t work out how. Can anyone please advise:

I have a bitmap file of an object which is green in colour, pale at one end and getting darker at the other, to simulate shadow. I want to change it to orange, an orange which must match exactly the colour of another bitmap file. How do I do this and keep the gradation of light to dark across the image? The gradation doesn’t have to be exactly the same as the original.

… the best I can manage so far is to open
hue/saturation, move the hue slider to the far left, then the saturation slider towards the far right, which can give me an orange of sorts; I can then adjust this with the RGB colour control (Ctrl+B).

This doesn’t seem very elegant though and means quite a lot of time spent matching the new colour to the original. Is there a way to use the pipette to sample the colour and transfer it to the new bitmap without losing the shading detail?

Here’s one way.

1) convert your image to RGB
2) switch to the orange image whose color you want to match, and alt-click the appropriate color
3) add an orange color layer above your background image, with the mode set to "color"
4) if necessary, paint black on the layer mask to retain any areas of original color.
5) convert back to indexed mode.

If you have an older version of Photoshop, you can get the same effect by creating a new layer and filling it with orange. Then you have the option of painting orange on selected areas only, or using the eraser tool to recover the original color of any layers.

If the image has areas of complex color, such as colored objects overlapping the gradient, the layer mask method will be a lot of work. I don’t think this is of interest to you for this specific case. If it is, there are ways to use the Blend If sliders to change only the green areas of the original image.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
K
Kingdom
Sep 22, 2006
Martin S. wrote in news:v236h2hc89qfrg1732010ggs6s08pph3ej@ 4ax.com:

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Have you tried the color replacement tool?

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
———————————————————— ————
T
Tacit
Sep 22, 2006
In article ,
Martin S. wrote:

Yes.

Step 1: Sample the color.

Step 2: Use the Edit->Fill command.

Step 3: In the Fill dialog, set the Mode: to Color and fill with the foreground color.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
M
ms
Sep 22, 2006

I did – but it wasn’t effective. I’ll look through the advive and see how I get on. Thanks.
M.
K
KatWoman
Sep 23, 2006
"Martin S." wrote in message

I did – but it wasn’t effective. I’ll look through the advive and see how I get on. Thanks.
M.

the match color option is another method that might work you could just select the object and make a new gradient in the orange color sampled from image1
U
usenet
Sep 28, 2006
Martin S. wrote:

Convert to LAB. Use a curves layer to change the A and B channels, and a layer mask and layer blending to convert only the area of the item you want to change. It’s not easy to describe but it’s not as difficult as all that. See Dan Marguiles’ book ‘Photoshop LAB Color.’ It has a whole section about this very topic.

Another cruder technique would be to convert to LAB, select the A channel, hold down shift and select the B channel, and then paint your new color onto A+B in the area of the object. (You can probably use the L channel to help you make a mask, if you need to.)

LAB: Once you try it, you never go back. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections