Crop settings in Photoshop 7 – how to get default in inches?

J
Posted By
JC Dill
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way in Photoshop 7 (on windoze) to get the crop settings to default to inches? If I want to crop to a non-standard size, and I type in the numbers for the crop ratio, it defaults to pixels, which is NOT what I want – I just want a crop ratio – for it to crop without resizing.

Predefining crop and then scrolling to find the predefined crop doesn’t work for me. I just want to be able to type numbers in the crop box and have PS not "fix" the entry by adding "px" after the number which then resizes my desired crop to just a few pixels.

Thanks!

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Sep 9, 2006
JC Dill wrote:

Is there a way in Photoshop 7 (on windoze) to get the crop settings to default to inches? If I want to crop to a non-standard size, and I type in the numbers for the crop ratio, it defaults to pixels, which is NOT what I want – I just want a crop ratio – for it to crop without resizing.

Predefining crop and then scrolling to find the predefined crop doesn’t work for me. I just want to be able to type numbers in the crop box and have PS not "fix" the entry by adding "px" after the number which then resizes my desired crop to just a few pixels.

Did you try to add ‘in’ instead of ‘px’ yourself?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
J
JC Dill
Sep 9, 2006
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:59:08 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

JC Dill wrote:

I’m trying to get "in" as the DEFAULT so I don’t have to add it each time, as I never use the px option. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA
J
Jester
Sep 9, 2006
JC Dill wrote in
news::

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:59:08 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

JC Dill wrote:

I’m trying to get "in" as the DEFAULT so I don’t have to add it each time, as I never use the px option. Is there a way to do that?
Thanks!

jc

Change the Rulers / Units setting in Preferences (Units and Rulers) to inches. Note that I’ve only tested this in PSCS2 as I don’t have PS7 to hand at the moment.
N
nomail
Sep 9, 2006
JC Dill wrote:

Nope, I don’t think so. However, from your question, I got the strong impression you didn’t know you could get what you want by typing ‘in’ in the first place.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
G
granny
Sep 9, 2006
Granny typed:
[snip]

Right click the "width" box and check inches. do the same with the "height" box.. your numbers typed into them now should default to "in" —
"Granny"
Old N Slow N Prefer Quick N Easy
RG
Roy G
Sep 10, 2006
"granny" wrote in message
Granny typed:
[snip]

Right click the "width" box and check inches. do the same with the "height" box.. your numbers typed into them now should default to "in" —
"Granny"
Hi.

That is very clever.

I never knew that, but you have to put a number in first before the drop down drops down.

Talk about learning something new every day.

Roy G
G
granny
Sep 10, 2006
Granny:

you have to put a number in first before the
drop down drops down.

Forgot to mention also that you need a picture opened before the drop down happens.

"Granny"
J
JC Dill
Sep 10, 2006
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:45:33 GMT, "granny"
wrote:

Granny typed:
[snip]

Right click the "width" box and check inches. do the same with the "height" box.. your numbers typed into them now should default to "in"

It doesn’t change the default, when I change the number in the box the new number is still pixels by default again.

Someone else posted to change the ruler to inches – that does change the default but I use my rulers in pixels so I guess I’m going to have to change them back and forth repeatedly. I wish there was a way to simply *set* the desired default. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

jc

N
nomail
Sep 10, 2006
JC Dill wrote:

Right click the "width" box and check inches. do the same with the "height" box.. your numbers typed into them now should default to "in"

It doesn’t change the default, when I change the number in the box the new number is still pixels by default again.

Someone else posted to change the ruler to inches – that does change the default but I use my rulers in pixels so I guess I’m going to have to change them back and forth repeatedly. I wish there was a way to simply *set* the desired default. Oh well.

I don’t see the problem. You do not have to change the defaults at all and it’s silly to go back and forth just to fill in the numbers. The only thing you have to do is fill in the dimensions yourself together with the numbers. So do not type "4", but type "4 in". That’s all.

B
bdchmura
Sep 10, 2006
here’s a great Java tool for cropping

http://www.camerahacker.com/Techniques/Print_Crop_Tool/Java. shtml

hope this helps

Gary W. Chmura

"JC Dill" wrote in message

Thanks!

jc

J
JC Dill
Sep 10, 2006
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:52:24 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

JC Dill wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

The reason you don’t see the problem is that you aren’t using the program the way I am. I’m sure there are problems that irritate you that are of no concern to me. That doesn’t make your problems any less problematic for you…

You do not have to change the defaults at all
and it’s silly to go back and forth just to fill in the numbers. The only thing you have to do is fill in the dimensions yourself together with the numbers. So do not type "4", but type "4 in". That’s all.

Typing "4 in" is 4 characters, while typing "4" is 1 character.

When editing thousands of photos (in a way that doesn’t lend itself to actions), saving 6 type characters each time one enters crop dimensions is a big save. Computers are able to do these sorts of things easily if the program is properly written. It’s really annoying that Adobe didn’t make an option to set the defaults for this function.

jc

TC
tony cooper
Sep 10, 2006
On 10 Sep 2006 13:07:00 +0200, JC Dill wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:52:24 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

JC Dill wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

The reason you don’t see the problem is that you aren’t using the program the way I am. I’m sure there are problems that irritate you that are of no concern to me. That doesn’t make your problems any less problematic for you…

You do not have to change the defaults at all
and it’s silly to go back and forth just to fill in the numbers. The only thing you have to do is fill in the dimensions yourself together with the numbers. So do not type "4", but type "4 in". That’s all.

Typing "4 in" is 4 characters, while typing "4" is 1 character.
When editing thousands of photos (in a way that doesn’t lend itself to actions), saving 6 type characters each time one enters crop dimensions is a big save. Computers are able to do these sorts of things easily if the program is properly written. It’s really annoying that Adobe didn’t make an option to set the defaults for this function.

You say that this is not built into Adobe, but I just went to PS7, opened an image, saw the crop default as "px", changed it to "in", closed the file and reopened others. The default is now "in" for the newly opened images. Just to make sure, I closed PS7 reopened it. The default is still "in".

Either your version has a flaw, or you are not following the instructions provided in the newsgroup. It’s not Adobe’s doing.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
T
Tacit
Sep 11, 2006
In article ,
JC Dill wrote:

Don’t use the Crop tool.

Set your Marquee tool to "constrained aspect ratio." Enter your aspect ratio. make a selection, then use the Crop command under the Edit menu.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
R
RicSeyler
Sep 21, 2006
Learnt sumpin new evEarday :-\

Thanks Granny, that’s a great lil nugget!

granny wrote:

Granny typed:
[snip]

Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
————————————–
"Homer no function beer well without."
– H.J. Simpson

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections