WC
Posted By
William_Carson
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone had any problems importing TIFFs saved from Photoshop CS into PowerPoint?

Got a couple tiffs here that won’t import.. and no there are no layers saved 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BLUDVLZ
Jul 22, 2004
Check to see if you’re using CMYK or RGB color. Should be RGB.

Also check to see if you’re using LZW compression or not when you save. Shouldn’t LZW compress.

I seldom ever use Powerpoint, so these are just guesses based off what has gummed up graphics in other MS apps.

Good luck.
WC
William_Carson
Jul 22, 2004
ok will have them check that.. We’ve used LZW in the past and had no problems.. shouldn’t be that but we’ll check. thanks!
R
Rastamon
Jul 22, 2004
I’m curious why you would use a tiff. Wouldn’t Powerpoint work better with a smaller file, say a gif? I suppose if you were going to print it maybe, but otherwise I can’t see why.

P.S. I don’t know much about it, and am not trying to give advice. I am just curious.
WC
William_Carson
Jul 22, 2004
We just use tiffs for all our courseware, authorware, power point, word, only thing we use different is PNGs for flash. Just our standard, and we haven’t had problems with them before
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 22, 2004
I remember checking this out about 6 months ago and there is a problem with LZW TIFFS saved in CS and PowerPoint (2002 haven’t checked other versions). Workaround is to save them in an earlier version or don’t compress them.
WC
William_Carson
Jul 22, 2004
That seems to be it.. we imported the TIFF and it "broke", opened it in CS again, saved it as a new name and took off the LZW.. seemed to work fine.. not sure why the difference was between PS 6/7 and CS though…
B
BobLevine
Jul 22, 2004
For best results and lowest file size in PowerPoint I highly recommend JPG.

Bob
B
Benj._Sussman
Jul 23, 2004
This doesn’t directly answer your concern but I’ve used powerpoint for 8 yrs and recently switched to making my slides in P-shop, then converting to pdf for presentation & handouts. I found this method produces better quality graphics, & is more versatile than Pwrpnt. Also, I no longer have the file-compatibility problems w/image imports. Just thought you’d like to know.
B
BobLevine
Jul 23, 2004
There is no doubt that Acrobat can be a very good tool for presentation, but it doesn’t have the capabilities for animation that PowerPoint has.

Bob
WC
William_Carson
Aug 27, 2004
SO what is differnt with the CS TIFF LZW. I still can’t figure out why CS compresses LZW TIFFS differently and its causing HUGE problems here. Is Adobe going to fix this problem? Why was it even changed?
WC
William_Carson
Aug 27, 2004
Been trying to get Adobe to give me answers on WHY this is different and if it has even been addressed.. wanna know what they told me?

They’re going to charge me $39 just to talk to me about it… why? because they figure ALL questions are answered in the Help and on line.

Do a search for LZW on line and in the help, nothing.. I’m REALLY unhappy with this situation. CS was the worst upgrade we’ve ever made and doubt we’ll upgrade at all in the future if this is how Adobe is going to handle problems that are obviously not our fault.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2004
tiff now supports more options than in the past. are you including something that wasn’t supported before? layers, large file sizes, etc.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 27, 2004
William,

Specifically related to Daves post, there are a couple of things to make sure you are aware of.

First, Adobe owns the TIFF specification – or has guardianship over it. When the release their products, they maintain strict adherence to the specifications as it relates to Tiff. That means that if there was a change in CS, as it relates to creating TIFFS it was only to ensure further compliance with the spec.

MOST other programs however do NOT support many of the TIFF specs. Microsoft is one of them – at least not across product lines.

It IS possible that there is a bug in CS, or a quirk that is causing the symptoms you are seeing. But it is not widely reported. Much of that is because most experienced graphic professionals know that tiffs are not recommended for Powerpoint for a bevy of reasons. They also know that LZW is the frequent cause for compatability issues.

That said, it SHOULD work as you are expecting. The thing to do is to come here and post, as you have done. Adobe engineers read this forum daily. But in practical experience, Adobe is less likely (although possible) to be the "offender".

But you have to give it a little time. If you cannot give it time, then it costs $39 to find an answer from someone who is not likely to know.

Dave’s post is directed at ensuring that YOU have controlled your variables and are comparing "apples to apples". If you can load up the same image in version 7, and re-save it with a different filename and LZW turned on, and do the same thing in CS, and one of them works, then that helps troubleshoot it.

Peace,
Tony
EA
Eli Aran
Aug 28, 2004
GIMP…

wrote in message
Been trying to get Adobe to give me answers on WHY this is different and
if it has even been addressed.. wanna know what they told me?
They’re going to charge me $39 just to talk to me about it… why? because
they figure ALL questions are answered in the Help and on line.
Do a search for LZW on line and in the help, nothing.. I’m REALLY unhappy
with this situation. CS was the worst upgrade we’ve ever made and doubt we’ll upgrade at all in the future if this is how Adobe is going to handle problems that are obviously not our fault.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections