K
Posted By
kaje103
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m wanting to know how to make a photo into a cartoon. I’m kind of new to PS, so if anyone could help out, i’d appreciate it. Here is an example of what i’m wanting to do: www.cowboy.net/~momoney/cgi/photo2cartoon.jpg

Thanks!

Kyle

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BT
Bart_Tieman
Jul 20, 2004
I asked thesame question earlier here. Try this tutorial. Worked for me πŸ™‚

< http://www.macmerc.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid =209&page=1>
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jul 20, 2004
Kyle,

The example you showed was probably hand-traced, judging from some key inaccuracies.

— Burton —
K
kaje103
Jul 20, 2004
thanks for the links all

Burton, the guy who did it just told me he did it in Illustrator so i dunno
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jul 21, 2004
Kyle,

That makes sense that he did it in Illustrator, using the photo as a guide. It probably was not automatic, but required manual work.

— Burton —
K
kaje103
Jul 21, 2004
so how can that be done in illustrator? Any tutorials on that or is it pretty much, gotta know how to use the program?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 21, 2004
Try this way for blended gradients, you might adapt it for tresholded version: <http://teched.vt.edu/gcc/PDFs/PhiloCalhounIllTechnique.PDF>
K
kaje103
Jul 21, 2004
awesome thanks! I was looking through that and it all looked easy to understand to me except Step 3. After using the pen tool, I don’t understand the part about placing the large rectangle over the face and moving it behind the path describing the face, then converting thatpath to an object mask by selecting it and the rectangle path. I have the face all traced out with the pen tool, but then placing any rectangles gets rid of the pen carving and the rectangle also doesn’t have any grids like the picture. Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 21, 2004
Start by tracing the bitmap. Illustrator has some tracing ability. Adobe has Streamline, for this. CorelDRAW includes a tracing program, that you can adjust for more accuracy, or simpler lines and fewer colors.

Be sure not to use white hypno-eyes, though.
K
kaje103
Jul 22, 2004
huh?
RH
r_harvey
Jul 22, 2004
Good question!

Auto-tracing (like that Corel thing, mentioned above) follows the curves and colors in a photograph, and creates vector outlines and fill colors, for a program like Adobe Illustrator. When you’re done tracing, you’ll have a line drawing, that you can use just like any other line drawing.

Hypno-eyes happen when you make the whites of the eyes… white. (Not affiliated with Hypnotoad".)
K
kaje103
Jul 22, 2004
oh ok. well in the pdf they didn’t state anything about using a different program to trace. I’m wanting to know how to to it how they’re specifying in Illustrator.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 22, 2004
Wow! Adobe Streamline <http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/main.html> is still available!

Or, try Corel’s web site for a description of CorelDRAW, and see about the CorelTrace utility, which is furnished with it. You don’t have to get the best and latest. Anything from CorelDRAW 3, onward, will include a trace program (and they’re on about version 12, now).
K
kaje103
Jul 22, 2004
I downloaded Adobe Streamline, but i don’t understand what i’m supposed to do with it to accomplish Step 3
RH
r_harvey
Jul 22, 2004
You mean this step 3:

1. Scan any sketch.
2. Adobe Streamline instantly converts it to editable line art.
3. Drag and drop it into Adobe Illustrator to complete your design.

I hope there’s also a way to save it as a file. You’ll have to go to the Streamline Forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b382>, or wait for the morning, when the awake people are here.

Presonally, I use the trace thing in CorelDRAW 9, and it turns photographs into EPS files.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 22, 2004
Harv,

I hope there’s also a way to save it as a file. <<

Yes there is – from the file menu as normal. Save Art or Save Art As
K
kaje103
Jul 22, 2004
Converting it by hitting Ctrl + R? That turns it into a black and white image that can’t even be seen cause 80% of the image is pure black and the other 20% is pure white. And how this will get the little rectangle up on Illustrator i have no clue. So can someone just inform me how to do that task?
RH
r_harvey
Jul 22, 2004
Try the Streamline Forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b382>. Be sure to check messages and FAQs that are already there.

With other programs like that, though, you adjust the settings/ configuration/ options until you get just the look you want. If it’s a black silhouette, you need to adjust the tracing settings.

When it looks mostly how you like, save it in a file, then open that file with Illustrator.
K
kaje103
Jul 22, 2004
I just played with the settings, none of it makes it look any nicer. It’s a photograph, not a drawing. I’m wanting to do what is exactly in that PDF file. I’m new, and I don’t want to be having to learn 4 different programs right now to do one simple task. If you don’t want to tell me or don’t know how to do the Step 3 of that PDF file up there and explain to me how to go about getting the rectangle with the grid and all that then just let someone else help. I appreciate you helping, but it’s been 2 1/2 days now and I haven’t gotten anywhere.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 22, 2004
If you don’t want to tell me or don’t know how to do the Step 3 of that PDF file up there and explain to me how to go about getting the rectangle with the grid and all that then just let someone else help.

Don’t know. That’s why I’ve been suggesting that you go to the Streamline Forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b382>. Have fun, that’s what it’s for.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
to do one simple task.

if it was simple, everyone would be doing it. before you learn any of the 4 different programs you should learn that what you want to do (especially if you want it to come out like the example you provided) is NOT simple. People practice for YEARS to be able to produce results like that, and a certain amount of native artistic talent is necessary too.
K
kaje103
Jul 23, 2004
Doing that rectangle with the grids does not take TALENT. It takes knowing how to do a small operation. I’m trying to find that out and it’s pretty sad when no one can help you on the official site of the software. I’ve followed tutorials before, and have ended with the same results as they did in the tutorial. I just don’t know everything there is to know about the program. That part is confusing, which is why I’m asking for help on it. If people are just going to come in and say "Use X program. Goto their forums to learn how to use it.", that isn’t very helpful. So, if anyone would like to explain how to do Step 3 in Illustrator feel free, i’ll highly appreciate it, but if you want to come in and tell me to go practice for years and then try it, then don’t bother posting.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
why then are you asking about illustrator in the photoshop forum?

Goto their forums to learn how to use it.", that isn’t very helpful.

it’s better to ask in this forum where we DON’T know anything about the program (streamline?) than it is to ask in the streamline forum where people hang out who use it every day? or about illustrator in the illy forum? i’m just trying to understand your (lack of) logic here.

So, if anyone would like to explain how to do Step 3 in Illustrator feel free,

feel free to ask in the illy forum. this forum is for photoshop questions.

and get a new attitude before you post over there, those vector-folken aren’t as nice as us photofolken. you’ve been offered helpful direction, if not a direct answer to your question, at least where to go to get it, several times, and you just want to bitch about the lack of help.

so be it.

<SHRUG>
B
BobLevine
Jul 23, 2004
Goto their forums to learn how to use it.", that isn’t very helpful.

Yes it is. Dave is one of the more helpful people around here. He’s pointed you in the right direction for help. Would you stand around the dairy aisle in the supermarket waiting for someone to stock the shelves with bread?

There are plenty of forums here. Go to right one for the help you need.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
aw shucks bob. πŸ™‚
K
kaje103
Jul 23, 2004
I did ask over there and I haven’t gotten a response until this evening before all of this crap ^^^. So what was I going to do? I was going to try and seek help from the person who posted the pdf by asking in this thread. Obviously he had to have known something about it to know right where to find the pdf. He never responded back, but someone else did with something that didn’t help me. And I don’t have an attitude, it’s just pointless to say (example) help someone that is wanting to know how to blur an image to say "Go read the forums and learn how to use the program. It could take you years to get good at photo editting." instead of giving me directions: "Goto Filter>Blur>…" that’s all i’m asking for, but obviously that’s just too easy for you guys to attempt.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
All I’m saying you don’t do that kind of stuff (easily) in photoshop and the illy forum is down the hall and to the left.
JK
John_Kallios
Jul 23, 2004
those vector-folken aren’t as nice as us photofolken.

Hey, I resent that. (or resemble that)
JK
John_Kallios
Jul 23, 2004
So, if anyone would like to explain how to do Step 3 in Illustrator feel free, i’ll highly appreciate it, but if you want to come in and tell me to go practice for years and then try it, then don’t bother posting.

Break out the pen tool because that is what it calls for.

Doing that rectangle with the grids does not take TALENT

Yes, it does.
K
kaje103
Jul 23, 2004
Hey John, knowing how to do a few operations in a program isn’t talent. I guess you didn’t read the message fully. I could care less about your smart ass remarks. If you don’t want to help, leave my thread, kthx.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jul 23, 2004
Kaje103,

The grid in figure 3 (Yes, I went through the trouble of checking out the PDF just for you) is the Gradient Mesh Tool. Look it up.

Mathias
K
kaje103
Jul 23, 2004
Mathias, in the pdf it says "if the gradient mesh had been used at this point, the nodes would be too difficult to place accurately…Instead a large rectangle over the path describing the face". So isn’t that saying they used this "rectangle" rather than the mesh? That’s what I got out of it.
JK
John_Kallios
Jul 23, 2004
No, it says to use a rectangular gradient mesh and use the path drawn (which the sample was drawn by the pen) as a clipping path.

See, the talent comes in with being able to produce the paths.

The tutorial is meant to show a method of shading the objects. It is not meant to explain how to trace objects. The tutorial assumes the user would already know how to as well as have a basis of knowledge of the application.

Hey John, knowing how to do a few operations in a program isn’t talent. I guess you didn’t read the message fully.

There is no talent in clicking a button. The talent is knowing where to click the button.

By not reading fully, I assume you mean this:

It takes knowing how to do a small operation.

Nope, it takes talent. But, maybe our expectations differ.

The path describing the face was then converted to an object mask by selecting both it and the rectangular path.

So, I guess you are saying you are having trouble with this? Lets break it down, the path describing the face (that you use your talent to create) and the gradient mesh, with both selected and the path on top, convert the path to a object mask.

Naturally, the tutorial expects the user to already know how to complete this task. So, how do you make a object mask? Well, think object then mask. Or OBJECT and select MASK. Since you requested a GotoΒ…

GOTO OBJECT>CLIPPING MASK>MAKE

If you don’t want to help, leave my thread

You are right, I do not want to help. Ignore everything I posted.

Dave, I apologize. Your post was correct and I no longer resent it. πŸ™‚
RH
r_harvey
Jul 23, 2004
If you don’t want to help, leave my thread, kthx.

And… scene. That’s a wrap, everyone. Good job. Strike the set.

Mr. Levine, Mr. Hewitt, do your best.
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2004
"And… scene. That’s a wrap, everyone. Good job. Strike the set."

R_…

You forgot to wipe at the end.

And yes, we can say that here.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jul 23, 2004
……..and star wipe, and cut.

Why have hamburger when you can have steak….mmmmmmmmmmm, steak.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 23, 2004
That will teach me to give an illustrator link in a PS forum ;). Kaje, you are really lucky to have found someone as nice and patient to hold your hand with the attitude that you displayed here…remember the matter is not what you ask, but HOW you ask it.

Indeed, would you have asked the question in the relevant forum (since the link is for illustrator), you would have gotten far more faster answers.
Still, with the tutorial that Len gave, you can auto-trace an image.

If you want to study the action and understand how it works, you can adapt if to get different steps of grey, only in Photoshop, without any third party program to learn. But it is not close to the results you could get by using the pen tool, and… talent πŸ˜‰

Check out regularly at the bookstore: recently, a lot of magazines had articles about photo tracing in vector.

There is also a tutorial I wrote on the www.computerarts.co.uk site, about semi- and auto vector tracing in Photoshop, but halas they decided to make it a pay-for tutorial. (disclaimer: I am NOT paid by the download)
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
Check out regularly at the bookstore: recently, a lot of magazines had articles about photo tracing in vector.

that’s too much work. I want an oompa loompa NOW! πŸ™‚
SF
Stacy_Fontenot_-_NSU
Jul 23, 2004
kaje103-

Here are the first 3 steps of the pdf broken down. If you run into further difficulties with this particular project, the Illustrator forum will get you the answers quicker. Moderators, move this elsewhere if needed.

PDF step 1-Import the tiff on layer 1. Lock the layer.
PDF step 2-Create a new layer and drag under layer 1. The layers pallet has layer 1 on top of layer 2 now.
PDF step 3-Since layer 1 is locked, all edits will occur on layer 2. I read from post #8 that you already traced out the face. Great! No need for anything but Illustrator for that path. The face outline should be on layer 2. Using the rectangle tool, draw a rectangle ensuring its boundaries extend beyond the face path. The entire face path should fit within the region of the rectangle (but the path and the rectangle are separate elements.) With only the rectangle selected, goto Object>Create Gradient Mesh. I put in the values of 19 rows and 19 columns. In Layers pallet, layer 2 has <Mesh> on top of <Path>. Drag <Mesh> under <Path>. Select both the face path and the rectangle mesh with the move tool and goto Object>Clipping Mask>Make. Click in the layers pallet to lock the <Clipping Path>.
That brings you to the end of step 3. Remember, as you work, you really can’t see the edits done to the individual points unless you hide your tiff layer.
Good luck with the completion of the tutorial.
Stacy
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 23, 2004
Kyle: you can email me and I’ll try to go through the steps in more details. There are automatic and semi manual ways of tracing a bitmap image to turn it into a vector. The automatic ways include the action Mathias posted a few weeks ago, Corel OCR trace, streamline, freehand or flash’s tracing utilities, Silhouette, etc. The advantage to the technique I wrote up a couple years ago is that you can get more than 256 shades, so it looks more realistic. There are other ways of rendering continuous tones, like use of blends. Corel Draw used to have an image of Hedy Lamar that was done (greyscale) exclusively with blends, and is quite amasing. It is no longer used due to a lawsuit Ms. Lamar filed against Corel Draw. Good luck.
Philo
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 23, 2004
…. answered more fully on the Illustrator forum.
K
kaje103
Jul 23, 2004
Pierre, Stacy, Philo:

Thank you very much for your help. Stacy, you helped me extremely there! I got through Step 3 with your great instructions, which is exactly what I was looking for =). Philo, thanks, i’ll check that out.

To everyone else:

I’m not trying to come off with an attitude or anything. I don’t really know of a nice way of telling someone "That isn’t helping me so I want someone else to try.". I didn’t want to just sit here and keep wasting his time, because I didn’t understand anything he wrote. Stacy wrote the perfect example of what I was looking for. It might not have taught me much about what each of those steps did, but it got me through it. Because right now I’m just trying to play with the program a little, not really learn it, because I hardly have time. And I really don’t have time to go read a book about it. But whether it helped me or not, thanks to everyone that contributed to trying to help illustrator ignorant me.
KV
Klaas_Visser
Jul 24, 2004
kaje103

Glad you got it sorted out, but …

"Because right now I’m just trying to play with the program a little, not really learn it, because I hardly have time. And I really don’t have time to go read a book about it."

What’s the point to working through a tutorial if you aren’t intending to learn how to use the program? If you don’t have the time to learn it, or to read a book about it, why did you start using it in the first place? Any software you use has a learning curve, and stating you don’t have time to learn it, and are therefore expecting folks that have learnt it to provide you with a click-by-click step through is a little arrogant.
K
kaje103
Jul 24, 2004
I asked for help, I didn’t force anyone to help me. I like to learn how to do certain things in programs. If everything about a program doesn’t interest me, what’s the point in learning how to do it all? I wanted to know how to do what I showed the example of, so I tried to get help on it. So before you start calling me arrogant, why don’t you quit making assumptions?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 24, 2004
why don’t you take a look around and see that this is generally a pretty helpful bunch, when you don’t come blasting in like a bull in a china shop.

oh, i forgot, you don’t care to learn the programs. why should we care to help you then?
RH
r_harvey
Jul 24, 2004
I’m sorry if I didn’t provide the help you wanted, in your thread. I stopped caring when it seemed that you didn’t want to invest the energy in learning for yourself, yet you expected chumps to invest their energy to do it for you.

You’d think that after spending all that money on Photoshop and Illustrator, that you’d at least have the intellectual curiosity to figure out a little bit about them. It seems rather odd that you would invest your money, but not your time.
K
kaje103
Jul 24, 2004

1) I don’t own the program, the college I attend which has it installed on the computer labs have it. So quit trying to make me look like some pirate and quit assuming.
2) Don’t act like you never asked for help on anything without going to read all the manuals and all the FAQs that were made for it. That’s BS.

I’ve helped people with a ton of things I know about programs that they know nothing about and just wanted to accomplish a task. Only I’m not lame enough to be offended by it and go cause a big fuss. Just because people want to check their email doesn’t mean they love or want a career in computers. Just because I want to make a neat cartoon from a photo doesn’t mean I want to be a graphics designer. People have different interests, get over it. And like I said, if you don’t want to help, then don’t, so quit acting like i’m forcing it upon everyone. It seems like you’ve already wasted so much of this "energy" and time by trying to somehow make me feel any remorse for being straight forward and telling you you’re not helping me, than you could have by just simply helping me the way I asked,(which Stacy did perfectly)nicely. Step outside, people.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 24, 2004
Don’t act like you never asked for help on anything without going to read all the manuals and all the FAQs that were made for it. That’s BS.

I’m curious enough that I try things and seek my own solutions. I am not intellectually lazy. I haven’t called any company’s customer support for anything since about 1991. I read the manuals. I read the Forums. And I’ve never asked how to do anything in this Forum. Nice try, though.

It seems like you’ve already wasted so much of this "energy" and time by trying to somehow make me feel any remorse for being straight forward and telling you you’re not helping me, than you could have by just simply helping me the way I asked,

Why would anyone help someone who, from what he has demonstrated here, appears to be too lazy to help himself?
K
kaje103
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, of course you only bring up computer examples. I’m guessing you read the manual on how to drive, how to live, and all those other ones with no help asked. The subject matter doesn’t matter, it’s the point, so I guess you were to intellectually lazy to realize that.

Yet, again, you’re assuming. I searched google for Photo to cartoon tutorials and help-me files, so I decided to ask in a forum. WTF do you think the forum is for? Chit-chatting about the latest latte you tried?

Quit wasting your time now arguing with someone on the net and leave my thread PERMANENTLY, so perhaps I can talk with the people who are kind enough to help, and smart enough to know what i’m asking for, and quit spamming the thread with your non-factor posts.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jul 24, 2004
You’ve been told r_!!!

Now go before he MTV’s you or sumpn’!

(careful, I hear the young-un’s wears there caps bakiards)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections