B
Posted By
Bobby77501
May 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS2 and tried to open old files that I used with PS CS. On one particular file, I received a message that said: "Could not complete your request because the file could not be found." This file was a one layer scan and was saved in the psd format. When I put the cursor on the filename, the picture showed up (like it should) at the bottom of the screen briefly before it tried to open it. Can someone help? This doesn’t seem to happen with all my files.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bobby77501
May 11, 2006
New Info: This is happening with all my legacy Photoshop files. I receive the same message and can’t open them. Someone please help!!!

"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote in message
I installed CS2 and tried to open old files that I used with PS CS. On one particular file, I received a message that said: "Could not complete your request because the file could not be found." This file was a one layer scan and was saved in the psd format. When I put the cursor on the filename, the picture showed up (like it should) at the bottom of the screen briefly before it tried to open it. Can someone help? This doesn’t seem to happen with all my files.
MR
Mike Russell
May 12, 2006
Put a copy of the psd on a server somewhere and some of us will have a look. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum

New Info: This is happening with all my legacy Photoshop files. I receive the same message and can’t open them. Someone please help!!!

B
Bobby77501
May 12, 2006
Don’t know how to do this.

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Put a copy of the psd on a server somewhere and some of us will have a look.

Mike Russell

RB
Rudy Benner
May 12, 2006
Email me at rudy at rudybenner dot com and we will work out how to get it on a server.

Mike Russell

RB
Rudy Benner
May 12, 2006
I have a spot lined up on my server for you, email me rudy at rudybenner dot com and I will send you the link.

Real easy.

Mike Russell

RB
Rudy Benner
May 12, 2006
Links to the three files follow. They all open fine on my computer.

http://tinyurl.com/e57vy
http://tinyurl.com/gc64k
http://tinyurl.com/jmjuw

That is it.

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message
I have a spot lined up on my server for you, email me rudy at rudybenner dot com and I will send you the link.

Real easy.

Mike Russell

B
Brian
May 12, 2006
+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
Silly questions but I have to ask, are you opening it from the "recent files" menu? Are you double clicking it with or without PS open already?
B
Bobby77501
May 12, 2006
No, I am using the Open command within PS CS2.

"Brian" wrote in message
+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
Silly questions but I have to ask, are you opening it from the "recent files" menu? Are you double clicking it with or without PS open already?
N
noone
May 12, 2006
In article <qKO8g.59249$ says…

Is one of the PSD files, that you uploaded, 2nd green across pond with tree framing scene and signature.PSD? I think that that is the one that I d-l’ed from the site. It Open[ed] fine in CS2 on my machine. The only dialog box, that I got, was "Some Text Layers Need To Be Updated… " Both with, and without the Text Layer updating, it opened fine.

I’ll go and d-l the other two, just to make sure that they work well too.

It looks like you did a "Brushstroke," or similar treatment to this image, but other than the dialog box, re:Text, I didn’t see anything that should cause a problem. You state in a followup post that this is happening to many more of your CS1 images. Question: do ANY of your CS PSDs Open in CS2? I cannot recall anyone having a problem with a CS2 install, but I guess that it’s possible.

Hunt, off to d-l the other 2 images

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
N
noone
May 12, 2006

OK, LNM & President Bush also opend fine. I looked more closely at the first image, and it appears to BE a painting that was scanned with the year added, plus 1 Adjustment Layer and Mask.

All opened without a problem, except the updating of the Text Layer in #1. I do not see a problem.

Sorry, I’m not much help.

Hunt

MR
Mike Russell
May 12, 2006
I was able to open all three files without errors using Windows Photoshop CS2, and in Elements 2.

My best guess, and it’s only a guess, is that you have a mixture of dll’s installed, perhaps from more than one version of Photoshop and/or Elements.

Rudy suggested offline that the legacy serial number might be involved. Anthing is possible. AFAIK, the legacy SN is intended for older plugins whose registration is tied to a particular serial number. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
B
Bobby77501
May 13, 2006
I haven’t been able to open ANY of my legacy CS1 *.psd images with CS2.

"Hunt" wrote in message
I installed CS2 and tried to open old files that I used with PS CS. On one
particular file, I received a message that said: "Could not complete your request because the file could not be found." This file was a one layer scan and was saved in the psd format. When I put the cursor on the filename, the picture showed up (like it should) at the bottom of the screen
briefly before it tried to open it. Can someone help? This doesn’t seem to
happen with all my files.

Is one of the PSD files, that you uploaded, 2nd green across pond with tree
framing scene and signature.PSD? I think that that is the one that I d-l’ed
from the site. It Open[ed] fine in CS2 on my machine. The only dialog box, that I got, was "Some Text Layers Need To Be Updated… " Both with, and without the Text Layer updating, it opened fine.

I’ll go and d-l the other two, just to make sure that they work well too.
It looks like you did a "Brushstroke," or similar treatment to this image, but
other than the dialog box, re:Text, I didn’t see anything that should cause a
problem. You state in a followup post that this is happening to many more of
your CS1 images. Question: do ANY of your CS PSDs Open in CS2? I cannot recall
anyone having a problem with a CS2 install, but I guess that it’s possible.

Hunt, off to d-l the other 2 images

B
Bobby77501
May 13, 2006
Thanks – I’ll look into that.

I was able to open all three files without errors using Windows Photoshop CS2, and in Elements 2.

My best guess, and it’s only a guess, is that you have a mixture of dll’s installed, perhaps from more than one version of Photoshop and/or Elements.

Rudy suggested offline that the legacy serial number might be involved. Anthing is possible. AFAIK, the legacy SN is intended for older plugins whose registration is tied to a particular serial number. —
Mike Russell

B
Bobby77501
May 13, 2006
Thanks for trying……

"Hunt" wrote in message
particular file, I received a message that said: "Could not complete your request because the file could not be found." This file was a one layer scan and was saved in the psd format. When I put the cursor on the filename, the picture showed up (like it should) at the bottom of the screen

OK, LNM & President Bush also opend fine. I looked more closely at the first
image, and it appears to BE a painting that was scanned with the year added,
plus 1 Adjustment Layer and Mask.

All opened without a problem, except the updating of the Text Layer in #1. I
do not see a problem.

Hunt

MH
Mike Hyndman
May 13, 2006
I haven’t been able to open ANY of my legacy CS1 *.psd images with CS2.
B,

Just a thought, will they open in Image Ready?

MH
F
Frank
May 14, 2006
+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

Thanks for trying……

"Hunt" wrote in message

OK, LNM & President Bush also opend fine. I looked more closely at the first
image, and it appears to BE a painting that was scanned with the year added,
plus 1 Adjustment Layer and Mask.

All opened without a problem, except the updating of the Text Layer in #1. I
do not see a problem.

Hunt

Did you first remove CS before installing CS2?
If not, I think that might be the problem.
Frank
MR
Mike Russell
May 14, 2006
"Frank" wrote in message
….
[re Bobby O being unable to open psd files in newly installed CS2

Did you first remove CS before installing CS2?
If not, I think that might be the problem.

CS and CS2 are compatible with each other. I run both for testing on the same system. But maybe you’ve hit on something.

Bobby, is it possible that you copied plugins from CS to CS2, or that you are sharing folders between CS and CS2 in some unusual way?

Mike Russell
N
noone
May 14, 2006

Bobby,

When you DO find the solution to your problem, please post it here. While I’ve never heard of this problem, if you have encountered it, then it’s likely that someone else will fave it too.

Hunt

M
mike
May 14, 2006
Rudy Benner wrote:
Links to the three files follow. They all open fine on my computer.

"404, Not Found"
G
grannysdc
May 14, 2006
Bobby,
Try using "irfanview", to open it. (if it is only 1 layer then U can save it as a jpg) , it will then open in CS2. Irfanview is free at irfanview dot com (get the plugins, free also)
T
Tacit
May 15, 2006
In article <3AM9g.71467$>,
"grannysdc" wrote:

Try using "irfanview", to open it. (if it is only 1 layer then U can save it as a jpg)…

….and the quality will be degraded.

Never use JPEG unless you have a really, really good, clear, and precise reason why it HAS to be JEPG and no other format will work. If there is any possibility of using some other format for your image, such as TIFF, then do not use JPEG.

JPEG compression degrades the quality of an image. JPEG was invented for situations (such as the Web) where file size is critically important and image quality is not important.

If your goal is just to save a picture in an intermediate format so that you can open the image in another program, do not use JPEG.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
G
grannysdc
May 15, 2006
"tacit" > Never use JPEG unless you have a really, really good, clear, and precise
reason why it HAS to be JEPG and no other format will work. If there is
any possibility of using some other format for your image, such as TIFF,
then do not use JPEG.

If your goal is just to save a picture in an intermediate format so that
you can open the image in another program, do not use JPEG.

TY tacit, All I ever used was JPG before coming to this forum so I stand corrected.
Irfanview does support TIFF and many others. I am glad there are folks like you around to keep us straight so that we can learn from your experiences
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 15, 2006
"tacit" wrote in message
In article <3AM9g.71467$>,
"grannysdc" wrote:

Try using "irfanview", to open it. (if it is only 1 layer then U can save it as a jpg)…

…and the quality will be degraded.

Never use JPEG unless you have a really, really good, clear, and precise reason why it HAS to be JEPG and no other format will work. If there is any possibility of using some other format for your image, such as TIFF, then do not use JPEG.

JPEG compression degrades the quality of an image. JPEG was invented for situations (such as the Web) where file size is critically important and image quality is not important.

If your goal is just to save a picture in an intermediate format so that you can open the image in another program, do not use JPEG.
Like so many things in life it is not as simple as you suggest. Final file format depends, as you say, on how the file is going to be used. An on line photo lab won’t be too happy to receive a 100 meg multi layer PSD or TIFF (if it can handle it in the first place)when a 4 meg JPG would display indistinguishable quality at 20 * 16 down. (I’ve checked) Image degradation becomes an issue with JPGs when the file is continually opened and resaved in that format, thereby applying the compression algorithm and removing data (pixels) at each save.

MH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections