K
Posted By
kpwhite
May 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just started using Photoshop but i am finding that after i have designed a few practise images (using 5 or 6 layers in each) the memory on my harddrive quickly drops.

Anybody know how to stop Photoshop fom using so much memory on the harddrive?

My harddrive is 20 gig but with 9 or 10(approx) images it drops to 3 or 4 gigs.

Thanks for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
May 8, 2006
wrote in message
I have just started using Photoshop but i am finding that after i have designed a few practise images (using 5 or 6 layers in each) the memory on my harddrive quickly drops.

Thanks for any help.

Hi.

You won’t stop photoshop grabbing memory.

It is well known that it does this, which is why most Photoshoppers have at least 1 Gig of Ram and big HDDs.

The rule of thumb is that you need about 5 times as much RAM as the largest picture you will be working on.

It helps if you do not run any other Programs at the same time as Ps, and close it and re-open fairly often. This clears the Memory and Scratch Discs (Virtual Memory).

Your HDD must be fairly old, I can’t remember when I last saw one under 40 Gig for sale. RAM and HDDs are cheap nowadays, so get more.

Roy G
N
noone
May 8, 2006
In article <p4J7g.11904$
guesthouse.co.uk says…
wrote in message

Thanks for any help.

Hi.

You won’t stop photoshop grabbing memory.

It is well known that it does this, which is why most Photoshoppers have at least 1 Gig of Ram and big HDDs.

The rule of thumb is that you need about 5 times as much RAM as the largest picture you will be working on.

It helps if you do not run any other Programs at the same time as Ps, and close it and re-open fairly often. This clears the Memory and Scratch Discs (Virtual Memory).

Your HDD must be fairly old, I can’t remember when I last saw one under 40 Gig for sale. RAM and HDDs are cheap nowadays, so get more.
Roy G

As Roy points out – that is what PS is supposed to do. It is one of a very few programs, that can quickly and successfuly use free HDD space as "memory." Image files are quite large, and the "larger" they get, or the more of them that are open, the more memory it takes to work on them. PS cannot run without using the necessary memory, whether RAM or Scratch Disk space (HDD). If you stop it from doing so, you will stop PS. It would be like saying that your computer uses electricity to operate, and you want to stop it from using the electricity.

Again, as Roy points out – get as much RAM and as many large, fast HDDs as you can. The more of each (within the parameters of your OS’s ability to use them) the better.

Hunt

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
T
Tacit
May 8, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

For starters, your question shows some confusion. "Memory" and "hard drive" are separate, unrelated things. Photoshop uses both memory AND hard drive space, but your post seems to indicate that you are confused about the difference; it is not clear if you are asking how to keep Photoshop from using memory, or how to keep Photoshop from using hard drive space. (There is no memory on your hard drive.)

You use the Preferences command to tell Photoshop how much memory it is allowed to use. It grabs space on your hard drive as it works, to store its scratch files and other information. If you are running out of hard drive space, buy a bigger hard drive–they’re very, very cheap these days.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
FA
Frank Arthur
May 9, 2006
You haven’t shown enough information about the computer you are using. Operating System? How much Memory? Version of Photoshop? etc. If you have a 20 GB Hard Drive you probably have an older (relatively) computer with very little Memory available.

wrote in message

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections