B
Posted By
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m wanting to doctor some photos of girl and I see so many photos of girls that look like they have perfect skin as if they have been airbrushed. I’m sure they have been but I’ve not really figured a way to do it as to make their skin look perfect and smooth like a china doll. Are there any tutorials or any suggestions as to make the skin perfectly smooth and remove freckles etc..?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PF
Paul Furman
Mar 27, 2006
Barkster wrote:

I’m wanting to doctor some photos of girl and I see so many photos of girls that look like they have perfect skin as if they have been airbrushed. I’m sure they have been but I’ve not really figured a way to do it as to make their skin look perfect and smooth like a china doll. Are there any tutorials or any suggestions as to make the skin perfectly smooth and remove freckles etc..?

Filter > Noise > Dust & scratches
and maybe some masked blurring
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Cool, is there a way to apply that where I can brush it in? I lasso’d my area but I’d like to be able to brush it in like I would the masked blurring? Thanks
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Here is the picture I’m try to enhance, not that my wife isn’t naturally beautiful 🙂

www.fusionxstudio.com/files/Before.jpg
RG
Roy G
Mar 27, 2006
"Barkster" wrote in message

Hi.

Create a Duplicate layer.
Soften that by adding Gaussian Blur.
Then adjust the Blending (Overlay,Soft Light or Hard Light) & the Opacity slider until you get the sort of effect you want.
You can use the Eraser or a Brush to remove parts of the Soft layer to restore sharp detail around the Eyes, as you wish.

Roy G
B
Bluto
Mar 27, 2006

Try this.
1. Open the pic and use the key combination ALT + CTRL + tilde. "tilde" is right below the ESC key on a PC keyboard. This creates a selection based on just the brightness. only the brightest parts of the layer will be selected.

2. Use the key combination CTRL + C then CTRL + V. You should now have a new layer which contains a mainly transparent copy of the original layer. call it highlight layer.

3. Make sure the highlight layer is selected, then go into ADJUST > LEVELS and increase the brightness of the layer. The starting value is 255, try about 230 – 200, depending on the brightness of the original layer. The brighter the original layer, the lower you’ll need to go in order to see any kind of real difference.

4. When you’ve adjusted your levels, go into FILTERS > BLUR > GAUSSIAN BLUR and blur the highlight layer, the value you enter will depend on the size of your image, but try a starting point of 6. Your image should now be rather blurred, so using the ERASER choose a soft-edged brush and erase the highlight layer’s eyes and mouth to make them stand out more.

5. Then, set the highlight layer to around 40-60% opacity and you should have a soft focus effect
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for all the great tips, I’ll give them a try.
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Ok, here is my attempt. Does it look fake now?

www.fusionxstudio.com/files/After.jpg
N
noone
Mar 27, 2006
In article , bdog4
@hotmail.com says…

It’s coming along. I have two books that I’d recommend for such work (and more): "The Photoshop CS Book," Scott Kelby, New Riders, ISBN 0-7357-1411-8 & "Adobe Photoshop CS Studio Techniques," ben Willmore, Adobe Press, ISBN 0-321 -21352-1. Both may have been updated for CS2, but I only have the CS versions. Each, especially Kelby, cover a lot of what you are trying to do. Kelby also has a few sections on working with "eyes." While each covers a lot more ground, they have some very workable proceedures for glamor retouching.

Hunt

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
PF
Paul Furman
Mar 27, 2006
Barkster wrote:
Cool, is there a way to apply that where I can brush it in? I lasso’d my area but I’d like to be able to brush it in like I would the masked blurring? Thanks

Apply the blur to a duplicate layer and use a layer mask to brush in (and brush out) the effect.
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Yea have a few books that cover eyes, I attempted to fix the eyes but you could really tell. I’ll look into those books thanks!
K
KatWoman
Mar 27, 2006

good job for a first try
now fix the little red lines inside the eye whites
if you can fix the eyebrow too
B
Barkster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah got the eyes a little better but didn’t know how to fix the eyebrows and any single hairs etc without getting weird results. That fine detail I have mastered cause when I get down to that small of brush if you mess up it really shows. I’ll update what else I’ve done, the right eye doesn’t look right, I think I messed it up a bit www.fusionxstudio.com/files/After.jpg
N
noone
Mar 27, 2006
In article , bdog4
@hotmail.com says…
Yeah got the eyes a little better but didn’t know how to fix the eyebrows and any single hairs etc without getting weird results. That fine detail I have mastered cause when I get down to that small of brush if you mess up it really shows. I’ll update what else I’ve done, the right eye doesn’t look right, I think I messed it up a bit www.fusionxstudio.com/files/After.jpg

Seems that Kelby also had a section on eyebrows, but I could be mistaken – been a while since I flipped through it.

Anyway, nice work on a lovely woman.

Hunt

PS the trouble with digital image work is that you are NEVER done. There is always "just one more pixel… "

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
K
KatWoman
Mar 28, 2006
If you want more realistic eyes not so flat and bright in the white part try darken the corners of the eyeballs with burn to give a more modeled 3-d shape
I usually only use dodge on eye white not the paint or clone but in this case with the little red lines seems you don’t have a very detailed image to work on it gets more difficult to see way down and small (need higher res) I would have used a teeny tiny cloner or healing tool on the red lines

sorry for poor grammar no time to fix it

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections