GJ
Posted By
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to create a copyright symbol for my photos, but when I type Alt+019, all I get is a ? symbol.

Anyone out there had this problem and how can I sort it out

Thanks in advance

George

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
alt+ 0169

©

M
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 9, 2004
if you mistyped your keys above, and you are typing alt+0169, you also have to have your Nums Lock on, or it won’t work
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Num lock on, typed Alt+ 0169 and still the "?" Doing it in Word works, but not in Photoshop.

Any ideas?
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 9, 2004
oh i’ll put money on it being the font
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 9, 2004
do it in PS, then scroll down through your fonts to see if it changes to the © sign
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Been through just about the whole font list and still only a"?".

Could it maybe have something to do with the character set and if it is, how do I change the character set in CS?
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 9, 2004
well i just tried everything i could think of to make my © turn into a ?, but it didn’t happen. Only time it did was when the font i used didn’t have a copyright symbol. The only thing i can think of is go to Paragraph, click the little arrow, and go to "Reset Paragraph" and see if that helps. Sorry I couldn’t be more help…
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 9, 2004
use the windows character map. start> programs> system tools> character map.
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Aaron, thanks for your help.
Dave, tried the character map, selected, copied and pasted – and, guess what, the dreaded "?" symbol again.
I am at a loss on this one.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
Works fine for me Num Lock on OR off.

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
Try it in another program..

Do it in notepad and wordpad…

If it works, then it’s something haywire with your Word version in MS Works.

M
RH
r_harvey
Jul 9, 2004
You’re doing the ALT key, then typing the 0169 on the number pad, right? Not the top row number keys.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
My keyboarding, with 98SE, won’t even ALLOW alt+ numbers on the main keyboard, just get error ding.

M
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Mac, my op system is XP and am using Word 2002. I don’t have a problem in getting the symbol up in Word. When I copy and paste the symbol into Photoshop CS it changes to a ?. When I do the Alt+0169 in CS I also get the ? symbol. I am also using the keypad for numbers.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
And if you use Character Map to copy/paste into PS, same thing you get the "?"

M
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Yep, tried that too.
P
Phosphor
Jul 9, 2004
Are both the OS and your version of Photoshop English language versions?
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
As far as I am aware, both are English versions
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Well, I seem to have had some success. I re-installed Photoshop and although I am still unable to get the © sign in the text tool,I can now import it from MS Word.

Many thanks to all who tried to help.
AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 9, 2004
What you may want to do (as odd as it sounds) is tell us, STEP BY SINGLE STEP, how you are trying to type the character into PS. It may be your methodology that is causing the problem, rather than something system related.
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
Well, here goes
New canvas/page
Select text tool
Select font (arial for example)
Hold down Alt key and then type 0169 on the numeric pad. Even after re-installing CS,I still get the ?
RH
r_harvey
Jul 9, 2004
Wireless keyboard?
GJ
George_J_Park
Jul 9, 2004
No, not wireless.
AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 9, 2004
Open up notepad and check to make sure all your keypad numbers work. (and try using the other ALT)

If one is sticky/broken, you won’t be providing a valid amount of numbers, and releasing the ALT early may result in the ? character.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 10, 2004
Open up the "Character Pad" and click, hold down and drag the symbol onto the PS document, making sure the "Pad" is on top of PS CS but in all honesty you really shouldn’t be having these problems. This is basics which i’m sure you’re aware of yourself.

I would look at the age of my machine or the configuration. If you’ve got your money out of it, well, ask the Dog does he want to learn PS and get yourself a new PC.

Nice if you can and the Dog’ll learn new tricks. Wonderful this German Beer.

Regards

Mark
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 10, 2004
and, guess what, the dreaded "?" symbol again.

that usually mean the font you’re using doesn’t have that symbol. what font are you using? try something like arial.
P
Phosphor
Jul 10, 2004
" Wonderful this German Beer."

Yeah, I’ve seen in quite of a few of your posts this evening that it’s given you that all-too-familar stoopid courage to typespew a load of rambling meanness.

Come to MY pub and drunkspeak to me like you have been all evening here in this forum and you wouldn’t be around for very long.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections