N
Posted By
nalatalb
Jan 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to transfer CS2 to an external hard drive my dragging all of the CS2 files and folders to it? If so will I have to get a new unlock code from Adobe?I usually keep all of my images on my Maxtor 120GB extrernal hard drive, because working with them on my PC that has only 80GB often causes it to freeze. But, since CS2 is on my PC drive. And CS2 bridge causes freezes.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SG
Scott Glasgow
Jan 17, 2006
talbnesor wrote:
Is it possible to transfer CS2 to an external hard drive my dragging all of the CS2 files and folders to it? If so will I have to get a new unlock code from Adobe?I usually keep all of my images on my Maxtor 120GB extrernal hard drive, because working with them on my PC that has only 80GB often causes it to freeze. But, since CS2 is on my PC drive. And CS2 bridge causes freezes.

If you’re on Windows, no. You will have to use the option to transfer your activation (unlock code), then uninstall CS2, then reinstall it on the external. When you install programs in Windows, there are anywhere from dozens to hundreds (or probably thousands in the case of CS2 😉 of entries in the Registry containing the path to which you installed. If you simply drag those files somewhere else, all of those entries will be invalidated, and even the uninstall program (which also knows those locations) will be broken and unable to function.

You will trash your current installation, and if you don’t use the transfer activation routines, your activation will go the way of the winds as well. Google on "transfer CS2 activation" for particulars. And remember, _never_ try to move any non-standalone application (standalone apps are often small apps such as utilities, which do not write to the Registry or install DLL’s in system folders) by dragging or copying anywhere else. You’ll break it, and may screw things up that have nothing to do with the app in question.

If you’re using a Mac… hell, I dunno. Give it a shot and let us know how it comes out. 😉

Cheers,
Scott

P.S. With 200 GB internal drives going for less than a C-note, why not just drop a new 7200 RPM drive with an 8 MB buffer into your system? You won’t take the performance hit of an external drive and they’re a piece o’ cake to install.
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 17, 2006
"talbnesor" wrote in message

Is it possible to transfer CS2 to an external hard drive my dragging all of the CS2 files and folders to it?

No.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections