Photoshop CS startup fatal error-right after color settings prompt then program error

JB
Posted By
J_Black
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When Photoshop CS starts up, it loads, and immediately has a "Could not complete your request because of a program error" which is on top of a prompt window that is "Color settings for Photoshop CS will be configured using default settings. Do you wish to customize your color settings now? You can choose edit > color settings to customize them later." I tried logging in as a different user (in WIN XP home) Photoshop will work once that way. When I load it again, the same thing happens. This is with Photoshop CS tryout which I shows I still have 28 days. Adobe Imageready CS works just fine. I am seriously considering not purchasing the program if I can’t even get the tryout to work. I’ve tried deleting the prefs, etc. I want to drive this before I pay $$$.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TH
Tim_Howrey
Jul 9, 2004
Will Photoshop load in Safe mode? If so, then try running Msconfig and choosing Diagnostic mode to start the computer in.
– Test under this mode.

– If it works, then, perhaps some application is running in the background and causing PS to abort.
JB
J_Black
Jul 10, 2004
Good suggestion! I forgot to try that out of frustration. I narrowed it down to the THEMES in the SERVICES. Long story short, I went into Windows XP Home control panel, display and selected the windows classis theme. Everything seems to work now. Possibly the wallpaper I had was causing the problem? Other symptoms I was having was basically any pop-up window in Adobe CS was causing the "Could not complete your request because of a program error". Changing the WINXP theme to classic solved the problem. Thanks for the reply.
JB
J_Black
Jul 10, 2004
Update: I spoke a bit too soon. When I enable THEMES in msconfig (services) I can’t seem to get rid of the problem no matter what I try. Diable themes, PS works fine. Enable themes, and it works until I do something like Help>Welcome Screen, then I get the same error. I’m not sure what THEMES (Microsoft) exactly does. I guess my work-around for now is to disabel THEMES while I tryout the program…unless someone posts a suggestion. Again, I think I will have the same problem when I purchase the program…
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 10, 2004
display and selected the windows classis theme. Everything seems to work now.

i’ve heard that mentioned, very rarely but still at least a couple times. windows blinds program also causes problems if i recall correctly.
JB
J_Black
Jul 25, 2004
When I disable WIN XP themes w/MS config, PS works, but my printer won’t work…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections