RC
Posted By
Ronald_Connell
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can Photoshop 7 save an untiled tiff as a tiled tiff? How?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 8, 2004
What IS a "tiled TIFF"?

Do you mean multi-page TIFF?
(If so, the answer is no)

M
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 8, 2004
That depends on how you want it tiled.

Photoshop normally saves as a multi-row strip style TIFF (which is a type of tiling).
RC
Ronald_Connell
Jul 8, 2004
It is my experience that a "tiled tiff" as referred to by default in some software (e.g. CADD, GIS and Photgrammetry software) is one that has been tiled into rows of smaller squares or rectangles, usually of some standard pixel width like 1056 x 1056 pixels. This is helpful with large image files (several hundred Megabytes to over one Gigabyte in file size) for panning and zooming. This does not, to my knowledge, decrease or increase the file size after tiling and does facilitate refreshing the screen. If one has ever worked with satellite or aerial photography imagery, you know what I mean.

How wonderful it would be if the next PHOTOSHOP could include this saving option when saving as a tiff to save as a "tiled tiff". Most software in the mapping and GIS industry which I work in does do this. These tiled tiffs, however, when edited for color balance, etc. and saved in PHOTOSHOP, lose their tiling and must be retiled with another software. This creates a time-consuming step in our workflow or else living with an untiled tiff makes for slower going when panning and zooming.
RC
Ronald_Connell
Jul 8, 2004
It is my experience that a "tiled tiff" as referred to by default in some software (e.g. CADD, GIS and Photgrammetry software) is one that has been tiled into rows of smaller squares or rectangles, usually of some standard pixel width like 1056 x 1056 pixels. This is helpful with large image files (several hundred Megabytes to over one Gigabyte in file size) for panning and zooming. This does not, to my knowledge, decrease or increase the file size after tiling and does facilitate refreshing the screen. If one has ever worked with satellite or aerial photography imagery, you know what I mean.

How wonderful it would be if the next PHOTOSHOP could include this saving option when saving as a tiff to save as a "tiled tiff". Most software in the mapping and GIS industry which I work in does do this. These tiled tiffs, however, when edited for color balance, etc. and saved in PHOTOSHOP, lose their tiling and must be retiled with another software. This creates a time-consuming step in our workflow or else living with an untiled tiff makes for slower going when panning and zooming.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for explanation…
Live and learn…sort of, anyway..

M
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 9, 2004
Ronald – whether the file is tiled or not doesn’t affect how difficult it is to pan or zoom. That’s a function of how the image editor/display program deals with the image AFTER it has been read (or should, I can see how someone could take a shortcut of re-reading the file every time it changes the pan or zoom parameters, but that’s nasty).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections