TM
Posted By
The Magician
Dec 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently got CS2. I use a screen resolution of 800×600. And I noticed that most of the filter pallettes don’t fit my screen. They’re too big, go off screen, cut areas off and don’t resize at my screen resolution.
Mainly the Liquify, Vanishuing Point, Artistic, Brush Strokes, Distort, and Sketch pallettes.
They seem fine and resize at larger screen resolutions…but not 800×600. Is there some way to fix this?
Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
NIK
Dec 8, 2005
I think (I could be wrong) that Adobe say you must have a screen size of 1024 X 768 for their CS2 products.

NIK

Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup. "The Magician" wrote in message
I recently got CS2. I use a screen resolution of 800×600. And I noticed that most of the filter pallettes don’t fit my screen. They’re too big, go off screen, cut areas off and don’t resize at my screen resolution.
Mainly the Liquify, Vanishuing Point, Artistic, Brush Strokes, Distort, and Sketch pallettes.
They seem fine and resize at larger screen resolutions…but not 800×600. Is there some way to fix this?
Thanks.
TM
The Magician
Dec 8, 2005
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:48:10 +0000 (UTC), "NIK" wrote:

I think (I could be wrong) that Adobe say you must have a screen size of 1024 X 768 for their CS2 products.

NIK

Jeez, just checked the system requirements… you’re right! Thanks.
Never seen that before.
Well dat certainly SUCKS ASS!.
Now they’re gonna dictate what screen resolution we need to have…??? I have a 19 inch CRT monitor, and go BLIND with that resolution! It’s amazing how "expert" web designers all tell you how a website "always has to be designed within certain specs, for all browsers and screen resolutions, and have to be just so"… but then go and design websites that only people with laptops and flat panel monitors can view properly… causing the rest of us to have to scroll all over the place, or miss whole sections of a website.
Now Adobe’s doing the same damn thing with it’s software…? Fuckers.
K
kctan
Dec 8, 2005
From my experience, the program’s window and palettes’ windows are defaulted at certain pixel dimensions. I got no problem with 1024 x 768 but when it’s with 800 x 600, part of the program’s window will be cropped out on the screen (displayed beyond the screen resolution). Perhaps 1024 x 768 is the minimum setting to view everything. Therefore the defaulted filters’ windows will be larger when displayed on 800 x 600 than on 1024 x 768.

"NIK" wrote in message

NIK

Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup. "The Magician" wrote in message
Thanks.

TN
Tesco News
Dec 8, 2005
"The Magician" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:48:10 +0000 (UTC), "NIK" wrote:

NIK

Jeez, just checked the system requirements… you’re right! Thanks.
Never seen that before.
Well dat certainly SUCKS ASS!.
Now they’re gonna dictate what screen resolution we need to have…??? I have a 19 inch CRT monitor, and go BLIND with that resolution! It’s amazing how "expert" web designers all tell you how a website "always has to be designed within certain specs, for all browsers and screen resolutions, and have to be just so"… but then go and design websites that only people with laptops and flat panel monitors can view properly… causing the rest of us to have to scroll all over the place, or miss whole sections of a website.
Now Adobe’s doing the same damn thing with it’s software…? Fuckers.

Hi.

I think you are being a little naive about this non-issue.

I use a 19 inch CRT, and always have it set to 1024 x 768. I am currently reading your post at that res. Your Upper Case letters are 2 tenths of an inch in height, when O.Express has the Font size set to Medium. That is a very readable size.

If you are having problems seeing the screen at 1024, then you may well need to get your eyes tested or re-tested.

I am NOT being facetious, or insulting, you could actually have a problem, which might need attention. Lots of people have problems, and often these develop so gradually, that quite often they are not aware of them.

Roy G
JH
Jim Hargan
Dec 8, 2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 05:09:31 -0500, The Magician wrote:

Now they’re gonna dictate what screen resolution we need to have…??? I have a 19 inch CRT monitor, and go BLIND with that resolution!

I have a 17" monitor and keep it at 1172 x 864. I keep a pair of cheap reading glasses by it ($5 at Dollar General). Problem solved.

I also use a PC Magazine utility called Rapid Res, that lets me change resolution by clicking an icon in the system tray. Good for web development.

And as for what Roy G. says, check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
"Presbyopia is not a disease as such, but a condition that affects everyone at a certain age. The first symptoms are usually noticed between the ages of 40-50."

Jim Hargan
Freelance Photographer and Writer
www.harganonline.com
TM
The Magician
Dec 8, 2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:46:48 GMT, Jim Hargan
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 05:09:31 -0500, The Magician wrote:

Now they’re gonna dictate what screen resolution we need to have…??? I have a 19 inch CRT monitor, and go BLIND with that resolution!

I have a 17" monitor and keep it at 1172 x 864. I keep a pair of cheap reading glasses by it ($5 at Dollar General). Problem solved.
I also use a PC Magazine utility called Rapid Res, that lets me change resolution by clicking an icon in the system tray. Good for web development.

And as for what Roy G. says, check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
"Presbyopia is not a disease as such, but a condition that affects everyone at a certain age. The first symptoms are usually noticed between the ages of 40-50."

Of course I can read things at that resolution… and of course I’m not gonna really go blind… but my point is that I PREFER my resolution at 800×600.
It’s most comfortable for my eyes, and the higher rez strains my eyes. And I do wear bifocals.
That’s also why over the years I increased my monitor size… so I don’t have to sit oon top of it.
It’s also one of the reasons I don’t own a laptop.
My point was just that instead of Adobe adjusting the software so it can be used at ALL resolutions, we have to work around THEIR rules. I shouldn’t HAVE to buy new reading glasses, go to an eye doctor, lean closer, or change my resolution of choice just to accomodate their software.
Any justification of doing so is just an EXCUSE for an overlooked bug in their new software.
Please, I don’t mean any of this to be taken personally… it just pisses me off.
JH
Jim Hargan
Dec 9, 2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:49:10 -0500, The Magician wrote:

Any justification of doing so is just an EXCUSE for an overlooked bug in their new software.
Please, I don’t mean any of this to be taken personally… it just pisses me off.

;-)) Yeah, me too. It sucks, but watyagonnado?

Jh
K
KatWoman
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks.

why would you want to run such low resolution for your monitor unless it’s a piece of crap or very old? it is quite simple to use 1024×768, any decent vid card lets you change this back and forth to view website designs. If you use the monitor a lot you should also bump up to the highest refresh rate to save your eyes from tiring. I use 85 minimum refresh rate. To do graphics work you should not be using the Windows default of the lowest setting. Any comp I use I immediately change this.
If you can’t see the type or icons there are settings to change those to ones that are quite easily viewable

right click the desktop, choose properties>settings>put slider up to 1024, accept new settings
then click advanced tab>adapter>list all modes> select a decent refresh rate go back to display properties>appearance>if you want choose large fonts OR click advanced and customize to your heart’s content
you can change the colors of the windows, the fonts, the icons buttons etc
TM
The Magician
Dec 10, 2005
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:43:16 -0500, "KatWoman"
wrote:

Thanks.

why would you want to run such low resolution for your monitor unless it’s a piece of crap or very old?

Quite simple.
I prefer it that way.
I have the same question about 1024×768 on a 19in. CRT
To me it makes things look…tiny.
I don’t like… tiny.
I’m just more comfortable with that rez… that’s all.

it is quite simple to use 1024×768, any decent
vid card lets you change this back and forth to view website designs.

I have quite a decent video card. One of the first things I do when I get a new monitor is stretch what’s onscreen to fit the whole monitor. to get rid of that "black framed void" around everything. But with my settings, when I switch to 1024×768, everything has that thick black band around it again, and is off center to the right.
which would cause me to have to readjust my monitor settings. (I hope that made sense, dunno how else to explain it.)
So yeah… I can switch back and forth quite quickly, but what’s on screen isn’t the same at different resolutions.

If you use the monitor a lot you should also bump up to the highest refresh rate to save your eyes from tiring. I use 85 minimum refresh rate.

I know, I always have it set to the highest refresh rate.

To do graphics work you should not be using the Windows default of the lowest setting.

800×600…? Why not…?
Is that in some rule book someplace?

Any comp I use I immediately change this.

Hey, if that works for you… fine.
Again… not trying to be nasty.
It just makes me mad that I have to adjust my settings to run the software properly… instead of the other way around.
BS
Bert Storm
Dec 10, 2005
I think that CS2 recommends 1024×768 is because most 17" LCD monitors default to that setting. any larger (800×600) the text gets jaggie. A 19" LCD defaults to 1280x( whatever) Depends if your monitor is widescreen or 4:3 screen

I use 1024×768 on my 19" CRT and shoose large icons in the graphics cards settings menu.

Robert Strom

wrote:

Thanks.

why would you want to run such low resolution for your monitor unless it’s a piece of crap or very old? it is quite simple to use 1024×768, any decent vid card lets you change this back and forth to view website designs. If you use the monitor a lot you should also bump up to the highest refresh rate to save your eyes from tiring. I use 85 minimum refresh rate. To do graphics work you should not be using the Windows default of the lowest setting. Any comp I use I immediately change this.
If you can’t see the type or icons there are settings to change those to ones that are quite easily viewable

right click the desktop, choose properties>settings>put slider up to 1024, accept new settings
then click advanced tab>adapter>list all modes> select a decent refresh rate go back to display properties>appearance>if you want choose large fonts OR click advanced and customize to your heart’s content
N
NIK
Dec 10, 2005
My 21" monitor is set at 1280 X 1024 and the text and everything is very viewable.

NIK

Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup. "Bert Storm" wrote in message
I think that CS2 recommends 1024×768 is because most 17" LCD monitors default to that setting. any larger (800×600) the text gets jaggie. A 19" LCD defaults to 1280x( whatever) Depends if your monitor is widescreen or 4:3 screen

I use 1024×768 on my 19" CRT and shoose large icons in the graphics cards settings menu.

Robert Strom

wrote:

Thanks.

why would you want to run such low resolution for your monitor unless it’s a
piece of crap or very old? it is quite simple to use 1024×768, any decent vid card lets you change this back and forth to view website designs. If you use the monitor a lot you should also bump up to the highest refresh
rate to save your eyes from tiring. I use 85 minimum refresh rate. To do graphics work you should not be using the Windows default of the lowest setting. Any comp I use I immediately change this.

then click advanced tab>adapter>list all modes> select a decent refresh rate
go back to display properties>appearance>if you want choose large fonts OR click advanced and customize to your heart’s content
A
ahall
Dec 30, 2005
Jim Hargan writes:

Jim> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 05:09:31 -0500, The Magician wrote:

Jim> I have a 17" monitor and keep it at 1172 x 864. I keep a pair of cheap Jim> reading glasses by it ($5 at Dollar General). Problem solved.

Jim> I also use a PC Magazine utility called Rapid Res, that lets me change Jim> resolution by clicking an icon in the system tray. Good for web Jim> development.

Jim> And as for what Roy G. says, check this out:
http> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
Jim> "Presbyopia is not a disease as such, but a condition that affects everyone Jim> at a certain age. The first symptoms are usually noticed between the ages Jim> of 40-50."

I am almost 52 and farsighted, and have a good progressive glasses prescription.

I cannot stand anything less than 1600×1200.

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.graphics.photoshop…)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections