JJ
Posted By
John John
Dec 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create an image of the backside of a DVD or CD. I have tried scanning a CD in a scanner but got an undesirable image.

Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to achieve the radial spectrum effect you see when you look at the back of a CD?

Thanks

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo…but you can call me Stu!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 4, 2005
"Stuart Pedazzo" wrote
I want to create an image of the backside of a DVD or CD. I have tried scanning a CD in a scanner but got an undesirable image.
Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to achieve the radial spectrum effect you see when you look at the back of a CD?

You’ve got all the pieces. Here’s how to get the effect.

1) create a square image whose dimensions match the diameter of your final CD
2) lay down a horizontal gradient, with each color repeated twice. I did this using two repetitions of the spectrum gradient
3) white out the upper 1/6 or so of the square. This will form the circle in the center of the CD
4) apply Filter>Distort>Polar Coordinates, with the rectangular to polar coordinates selected

This will get your circular CD effect. You may want to refine things by defining your own gradient – typically the cyan or neutral band of the gradient is much larger than the others. Make the center hole more accurate by adding a couple of horizontal lines. Add a new layer in lighten mode with a radially distorted white patch to simulate a reflection. Create a fine horizontal texture by transforming a 1 pixel wide column of white noise, distort, and add that as a darken layer between the gradient layer and the reflection.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
JJ
John John
Dec 4, 2005
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 07:48:24 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

Thank you!! This is what I was looking for! Also thank you for giving a straight answer. It is refreshing in Usenet.

I am having a little trouble understanding one part of your answer though. Could you expand abit on this step:

Create a fine horizontal texture by transforming a 1 pixel wide column of white noise, distort, and add that as a darken layer between the gradient layer and the reflection.

Thanks again!
Sincerely,

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 4, 2005
"Stuart Pedazzo" wrote:

Thank you!! This is what I was looking for! Also thank you for giving a straight answer. It is refreshing in Usenet.
Glad it was what you were after!
I am having a little trouble understanding one part of your answer though. Could you expand abit on this step:

Create a fine horizontal texture by transforming a 1 pixel wide column of white noise, distort, and add that as a darken layer between the gradient layer and the reflection.

Sure – select a rectangular area one pixel by the height of your image. Add noise, and use free transform to stretch it to the full width of the image. This creates a brushed chrome texture. Distorting that pattern using Polar Coordinates will give you a look that resembles the tracks of a CD —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
JJ
John John
Dec 4, 2005
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:46:38 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

"Stuart Pedazzo" wrote:

Glad it was what you were after!

Sure – select a rectangular area one pixel by the height of your image. Add noise, and use free transform to stretch it to the full width of the image. This creates a brushed chrome texture. Distorting that pattern using Polar Coordinates will give you a look that resembles the tracks of a CD

OUTSTANDING!!! Stretching it the width of the canvas was the part I was missing. You are an asset to Usenet, Mike! Thanks again!

Sincerely,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections