AS
Posted By
Andrea_Shives
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t know why, but until today this problem never existed for me so I need help with this desperately. I have Photoshop 6.0, and I’m using Windows XP on a Dell desktop. This has NEVER happened to me before, either. I opened up Photoshop today to edit a photo I found online, but for some reason it wouldn’t open- I got an error message stating that there wasn’t enough memory (RAM) to open the image. However, I was not using any other programs, and my task manager said I was only using about 7% of my CPU at the time. So, I opened up the Help Center on my computer and looked at what RAM was being used, and it said most of my RAM was unused. Frustrated, I restarted. I did this a few times after having opened Photoshop and trying again. Nothing worked. So now, after quite a few tries and a lot of headache, I need serious help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 5, 2004
Is this only one image or all images?

Have you tried trashing your prefs as per the details in the FAQs?

Bob
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 5, 2004
Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space for the Windows swap file, and Photoshop scratch.

🙂

Brent
AS
Andrea_Shives
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks for the fast replies, guys. Bob- it is certain images, but I can’t do anything to the ones I CAN open, so it’s pretty useless! Brent- how would I make sure I had enough space for the swap file?
B
BobLevine
Jul 5, 2004
Trash your prefs! Read the FAQs for details.

Bob
AS
Andrea_Shives
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks for the fast replies, guys. Bob- it is certain images, but I can’t do anything to the ones I CAN open, so it’s pretty useless! Brent- how would I make sure I had enough space for the swap file?

Just wanted to add- Bob, I just deleted my prefs and that didn’t work at all. Also, another thing it won’t let me do is open a new file- I can put in the size I want and everything, but no new window opens. I’ve even tried reinstalling Photoshop, after completely uninstalled it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections