L
Posted By
larry
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a unique project coming up where I need to create the best looking Jpegs possible at a target file size of 1.2 megabytes. Save For Web has a file size limitation of 999.9K as a target size option. Is there anyway I can create an action to give me the best possible Jpeg at exactly 1.2 megabytes?

Thanks….

Larry Berman

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DJ
dennis_johnson
Jul 2, 2004
As far as I’m aware, other than in SFW, there isn’t an area of Photoshop that allows you to specify JPG file size.

Maintaining uniform JPG file size – as you probably know – will result in JPGs of varying pixel dimensions, as different images will compress to greater or lesser degree based on level of detail. I’m trying to wrap my brain around a reason why a user wouldn’t care how large such images display, but needs to have every image be exactly the same file size – and quite a large size for JPG, at that. Can you explain a little of how these images will be used? Maybe there is a better way to achieve what you’re after.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 2, 2004
What you want to do is impossible.
There is no way that the JPEG compression algorithm can be used to produce a specific file size.

The limit of SFW is way above anything anyone would normally use, so I, too, wonder exactly what you are trying to achieve.
L
larry
Jul 2, 2004
There is a totally logical reason for my request.

What I’m doing is to conform with image submission requirements. I’m scanning slides for artists for digital jury submission and the upload requirement is a 1920×1920 image at 72 PPI with a file size of no more than 1.2 megabytes. This size is not stated yet but there will be a maximum file size for upload. That means if I’m to do the absolute best job for my clients, I want to create the file that looks the best at a specified file size, no more and no less.

I can do it now using Save For Web and trial and error by changing the quality number and looking at the output file size. But I’m looking to create an action to automate the process. Maybe I can get the powers that be to increase the target file size to the actual limitations of Save For Web. Or find a third party compression program that allows for a larger target size.

Thanks guys,

Larry Berman
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 2, 2004
Re: Maybe I can get the powers that be to increase the target file size to the actual limitations of Save For Web

Probably not. Save for Web is for Saving for Web and 1.2 meg images have no place on the web, in my opinion. You have a specialized need, and Adobe is not likely to reprogram the code just to meet it.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
Save For Web has a file size limitation of 999.9K as a target size option.

Huh?
I was able to do SFW on a 1920 x 1920 full color image from 62k (0 quality) to 1.7MB (100 quality).
PS 7.

Of course, ppi has no meaning in this context.

Will be untagged, which most imaging programs will see as 72. Web browsers don’t use ppi.

M
L
LenHewitt
Jul 2, 2004
Larry,

I doubt you will be able to automate, since the amount of compression any particular jpg compression setting achieves depends to an extent upon the file contents.
L
larry
Jul 2, 2004
I understand that each image compresses differently. That’s why I was looking for a target file size action that would optimize the compression automatically based on the target size.

Maybe one of the other programs can do it. Ulead’s SmartSaver Pro and BoxTop’s Pro Jpeg both let you input a target file size. I guess I’ll have to install them both to test the limitations.

Thanks again,

Larry Berman

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections