Dealing with huge file, anyone seen this error?

TR
Posted By
Tova_Rivka
Jun 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working with photoshop 7.0.1
on winXP professional
1 Gig ram
152 Gig free disk space

I’m currently dealing with a file sized 16x100inch @300dpi. I have to drop 8 large photos into this space. I have no trouble dropping them in, but anytime I try to move one I get the following error:

"Could not complete the Move command because the result would be too big."

Has anyone seen this error and/or know how to deal with it?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JB
Jonathan_Balza
Jun 29, 2004
Never seen the error, but if you upgrade to CS, you shouldn’t get the error. 7 has a limit of 30,000 pixels for an image, and I would imagine that includes the area outside of the canvas as well. CS has a limit 10 times that amount, if my memory serves me correctly.

I would think you want a little more RAM for working with an image that big. Just a thought…
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 29, 2004
Try and select individual images rather than moving the whole layer at once.

Basically, some pixels are going beyond the 30 000 pixels limit you have to live with if you do not have CS.
B
BobLevine
Jun 29, 2004
Another thing. How is this being printed? It’s entirely possible that you don’t need 300 dpi.

Bob
TR
Tova_Rivka
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks for your replies.

My ram is holding out ok, but the 30,000 pixel limit is news to me.

I’ll be printing this on a large format printer/plotter (i.e. an hp roll machine). It will be a photo hung on a wall (a huge panorama). I would be interested in knowing if I can get away with less than 300 dpi. Upgrading to CS is not an option at the moment, so if all else fails the I’ll have to shrink the pictures.
B
BobLevine
Jun 29, 2004
You can likely get by with about 100-125 dpi with that printer. Anything more, IMO, would be a waste.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 29, 2004
also note that in addition to the 30k pixels in either direction limit, you can’t go over 2 gig file size pre CS.
PF
Peter_Figen
Jun 29, 2004
Depending of exactly which printer you’re printing on, there may actually be a noticeable difference in quality between 100-125 dpi and 200+. This print is only 16 inches tall, which means it may be viewed closer than a large print normally is.

I recently scanned a bunch of Roundshot panoramic images for a friend that were printed up to 20 feet long on an Epson 9600. The final dpi was in the neighborhood of 200 dpi and according to Bill, the prints were magnificent. Most of the scans were between 50,000 and 60,000 pixels wide, but the file sizes were only around a gig.

You also won’t be able to print these prints through a standard printer driver. A RIP will be needed to go that length.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections