PF
Posted By
Peter_Friis-Nielsen
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On an online-shop I’ve seen Photoshop CS (and var. MS software) at an extreemely low price: 80 USD!! The software is OEM, but as far as I know, OEM versions is not supposed to be sold without bundled hardware … an OEM software purchased without the hardware is technically not licensed. Am I right? or is the online companys definition of OEM software correct?

On the FAQ page the company writes:

Q. What does OEM stand for?
A. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software includes all essential components of Microsoft Retail products excluding support from Microsoft. Retail version comes in a fancy box, OEM does not. You will receive installation CDs only (no original retail packing). Although OEM software does not come with a box or a manual, it is the typical and actual software, no trial or demo versions.

Q. Am I purchasing some academic or trial software?
A. No, all software is fully functional and you’ll get a FULL version of a product you ordered, not a trial one and will be able to use it indefinitely.

Thanx,
/peter friis

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 28, 2004
Usual rule: too good be true = illegal.

Best thing to do is report the site to and console yourself that you have made your contribution to keeping the cost of the legal product down.
B
BobLevine
Jun 28, 2004
There are no OEM versions of PS CS or PS 7.0.

They’ll sell you a beta and steal your credit card info, to boot.

You’ve already gottent he best advice. Report them to Adobe.

Bob
PF
Peter_Friis-Nielsen
Jun 28, 2004
Usual rule: too good be true = illegal<<

Hmm, thought so! Damn 😉 Well, 80 USD is too good to be true … even without the support, manuals and fancy wrapping!

It would – however – be very nice if it WAS possible to trade out the support and manual and get the software mush cheaper then.

/peter friis
CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 28, 2004
It would – however – be very nice if it WAS possible to trade out the support and manual and get the software mush cheaper then

I’d be inclined to agree, except that, if I interpret Adobe’s strategy correctly, PS is aimed at electronic imaging professionals. Hence it attracts a premium price [but, compared with the 10s of $K that some software costs, not that high]. For cost-conscious amateurs, there is Photoshop Elements [PSE], which I think represents fantastic value for money, as it has almost all the functionality that most users need.

Sadly, I feel really constrained by not having layer masks or QuickMask, so I purchased the full version. Reading this forum, many users would be a whole better off [and I don’t just mean financially] with PSE.
PF
Peter_Friis-Nielsen
Jun 28, 2004
I agree: Hpotoshop Elements is an excellent piece of software … and more that enouhg to most users (even som eprofessionals). I’ve been using it for a few years now. What I’m missing in PSE, though, is support of Canon RAW files and handling of 16 bit images (PSE only handles 8 bit images).
CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 28, 2004
What I’m missing in PSE, though, is support of Canon RAW files and handling of 16 bit images

That is very fair.

I would like to see a "middle-ground" product at maybe 2X or 2.5X the PSE price, aimed at serious amateurs. There are key things that pros need, which could be stripped out – CMYK support would be a good start.
PF
Peter_Friis-Nielsen
Jun 28, 2004
I agree again. Maybe Photoshop Elements version 3 will bring up some new features from the pro Photoshop.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 28, 2004
Maybe Photoshop Elements version 3 will bring up some new features from the pro Photoshop

I have not seen any details or a schedule, but it makes sense for a version of PSE based on PS CS technology to be on the cards.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 28, 2004
Re: It would – however – be very nice if it WAS possible to trade out the support and manual and get the software much cheaper then

Actually, Adobe has already removed most of the support costs and the manuals from CS. You must pay extra to get the manuals, and there is very limited free support for the program.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 28, 2004
You must pay extra to get the manuals,

that’s only with the suite don. you get the manuals if you get the standalone products. just fyi! 🙂

cheers!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 28, 2004
Hpotoshop Elements? Short for hot potato I assume!;-)
RO
Robert_Oliver
Jun 28, 2004
that’s only with the suite don. you get the manuals if you get the standalone products.

But a much smaller manual than in the past. The manuals now seem to cover only the very basics of the program. I would not be surprised if they disappear completely in the future.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 28, 2004
looks the same to me. at least back as far as version 6. (the first one I personally owned).
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 29, 2004
PS 6.0 434pp
PS CS 350pp

Cheers – JJ
PF
Peter_Friis-Nielsen
Jun 29, 2004
PS 6.0 434pp PS CS 350pp <<

What is that?

/peter
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 29, 2004
# of pages. guess i’m wrong.
B
BobLevine
Jun 29, 2004
And if you back far enough…I think version 4.0, they actually used color in the manuals (IIRC).

Bob
ND
Nick_Decker
Jun 29, 2004
Actually, my 5.0 and 5.5 manuals have a little color in them, but not nearly as much as the 4.0 manual. That must be when the bean counters really got their hooks in. <g>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections