Posted By
Anthony_Eyre
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7 / Windows 2000

When I try to save duotones I get these options : PSD, EPS, PDF or RAW. I do not get DCS 1 or DCS 2. If I change the imaga mode to multichannel, then I get DCS 2: but it doesn’t work on our postscript 2 printer (Linotron 330). None of the other options above seem properly supported by Pagemaker PS2 printer.

I think back to Photoshop 6 where DCS 1 came up as an option and the priner was perfectly happy with it – what has gone wrong??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
Jun 28, 2004
There’s no need I can think of for saving duotones as a pre-separated file. How is going to be printed? PDF may be your best bet.

Bob
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 28, 2004
Plain EPS should also do the trick if your RIP doesn’t do PDFs
AE
Anthony_Eyre
Jun 28, 2004
Thank you and Robert Levine for your replys. I will try PDF’s, and hope the output device – Linotron 330 imagesetter with a RIP40 – can separate it. Beingf a printer I do need to be able to prduce 2 sheets of film at the end, one for each colour.
JS
John_Slate
Jun 28, 2004
The DCS format is only available when there is a spot channel present.

When it is in duotone mode there is only one channel, to which ink-transfer curves are applied in order to create the different plates, from monotone up to quadtone.

It sounds to me like you should stay away from DCS2 if your imagesetter has a problem with that format.

I am guessing that you print composite (ie not separated) and this will certainly give you problems with DCS files which are really meant to be printed in a separated workflow.

For you; I would stick with the duotone mode and save a Photoshop EPS.

(Does duotone mode saved as PDF work in some of the newer workflows?)

If you really need the DCS format, like do do selective painting on one plate or the other, you might try this:

Save your DCS2 file single file/color composite, then place it in a same-size IDCS document (must be CS, 2.02 will not work) and file>export an EPS file be sure to check the "leave color unchanged" option. Also select a high resolution display in ID before you export to improve the display that gets created for you EPS. This EPS can then be placed and printed in a composite workflow.
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 28, 2004
Here is what I do know…save as EPS if you are going to import to InDesign or something like…otherwise it gets changed to RGB or CMYK. If you just want it to look like duotone for printing at home….change mode to RGB….it will preserve the look of Duotone.

I suspect, though I haven’t seen it stated as such, that PDF is a compressed EPS…so they might work also.

wrote in message
Photoshop 7 / Windows 2000

When I try to save duotones I get these options : PSD, EPS, PDF or RAW. I
do not get DCS 1 or DCS 2. If I change the imaga mode to multichannel, then I get DCS 2: but it doesn’t work on our postscript 2 printer (Linotron 330). None of the other options above seem properly supported by Pagemaker PS2 printer.
I think back to Photoshop 6 where DCS 1 came up as an option and the
priner was perfectly happy with it – what has gone wrong??
B
BobLevine
Jun 28, 2004
(Does duotone mode saved as PDF work in some of the newer workflows?)

Yes, as does native PSD for placement in InDesign.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections