N
Posted By
nikana2000
Jun 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know how to flatten the effects on a layer. The layer is a rasterized graphic with several effects, but I want to collapse it all within the document.

I know I could export it, and bring it back in, but I’m thinking there should be a way to do this internally.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 27, 2004
create a blank layer above it then select the new layer and hit crtl-e? (merge down)… not sure but it might work.
N
nikana2000
Jun 27, 2004
nope… didn’t help.

I took a paintbrush and made a couple strokes on the new layer before merging down, and the paintbrush strokes took on the effects of the lower layer.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 27, 2004
Layer>Flatten Image
N
nikana2000
Jun 27, 2004
Yes Mathais, this would be fine if I didn’t have many other layers in the document.

Not only that, but "Flatten Image" fills the void with the background color, which is most undesirable.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 27, 2004
Dave was nearly there with:

create a blank layer above it then select the new layer and hit crtl-e? (merge down)…

But you need to create a new layer below the one in question, then select your layer and do Merge Down.
N
nikana2000
Jun 27, 2004
Ahhh… that’s it Colin… thanx!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 28, 2004
But you need to create a new layer below the one in question, then select your layer and do Merge Down.

heh! 🙂 thanks colin!

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it." – Donald Knuth

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections