M
Posted By
MsCynic
Oct 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know it’s always going to look fake to anyone who knows that it’s a gas fire, but for the sake of making a non-functioning, fake fireplace look like it’s got a cheery blaze going on, can anyone suggest a good method?

I’ve added flames from a geniune fireplace and sort of painted with a low opacity soft brush around the edges of the logs to give a glow the colour of the flames. Has anyone got better suggestions to make a fire look real?

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
Kingdom
Oct 10, 2005
MsCynic wrote in news:ChB2f.17110$iM2.1401124
@news.xtra.co.nz:

I know it’s always going to look fake to anyone who knows that it’s a gas fire, but for the sake of making a non-functioning, fake fireplace look like it’s got a cheery blaze going on, can anyone suggest a good method?

I’ve added flames from a geniune fireplace and sort of painted with a low opacity soft brush around the edges of the logs to give a glow the colour of the flames. Has anyone got better suggestions to make a fire look real?

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Yeh, thats right just paste in a photo of a real fire and feather the edges. Trick is finding a good fire image

Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 11, 2005
Yeh, thats right just paste in a photo of a real fire and feather the edges. Trick is finding a good fire image

Thanks for replying. Had a photo on disk of a fireplace when the fire was actually going. No one has actually noticed it’s fake yet.
K
KatWoman
Oct 11, 2005
"Kingdom" wrote in message
MsCynic wrote in
news:ChB2f.17110$iM2.1401124
@news.xtra.co.nz:

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.

I would use a photo of fire too but you may find better result using some blending modes than on normal.
BS
Bert Storm
Oct 12, 2005
Alien Skin Eye Candy has a nice fire plugin. Fools most of my clients

Robert Strom

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:47:27 +1300, MsCynic
wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Jo
N
noone
Oct 12, 2005
In article <ChB2f.17110$
..com says…

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Many years ago, codes changed to only allow gas fireplaces. While some can be "tuned" to produce acceptable results, most were rather anemic for ad shots. I scanned most of my older shots (done using Pine Mountain fake logs, which worked well in real fireplaces) and began dropping these into the gas-log units for my clients. With a bit of Skew, and some Layer Mask(ing), they were the cure-all. Now, if one did not have access to a stock of real fireplaces, it does make the task a bit harder.

As some have suggested, the AlienSkin Fire effect might work. I have it, but have never used it.

Hunt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections