BQ
Posted By
Brian_Queen
Jun 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop 6.0 on a PC with Microsoft XP. I’m trying to create a halo around a bust on a greyscale image. The background or area surrounding the image is 33% grey. To complicate problems I’m trying to create a dark halo next to area’s that are lighter than 33% grey and a light halo next to areas that are darker than 33% grey. I can easily create the gradient range of grey I want however the face curves and the Linear Gradient tool only creates straight gradients. I select small areas at a time but the point at which the selections meet are always slightly off in colour. Is there a way to use the gradient tool for the effect I’m after or is there a better way?

Brian

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 25, 2004
Try this:

1) Place the bust on a layer on it’s own and close-cut it. Name the layer "bust"
2) Duplicate the layer, name the duplicate "halo"
3) Hide the "bust" layer
4) Locking the transparency of the "halo" layer, colour it black. You should now have a black shape that matches the shape of your image.
5) Unlock the transparency of the "halo" layer and apply a Gaussian blur (play with the settings until you get a result you like)
6) Unhide the "bust" layer you should now have a picture of the bust with a black halo.

Play with the opacity of the "halo" layer
BQ
Brian_Queen
Jun 28, 2004
Rene,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question on the Adobe Forum. I tried the method you suggested and the result was quite nice, I can see where I could use this technique in other areas, however it wasn’t the exact effect I was after. The halo is a little too subtle even using a small pixel radius.

It’s a long story but I’m using this image to make a watermark, not the digital kind but the real thing in paper (I make paper by hand). A significant but small halo improves the watermark by setting it off against the surrounding paper. If the halo becomes too large it starts to look like a halo around a deity but if it’s small it makes the watermark pop off the page. Again, to complicate matters I need to create a white halo adjacent dark areas and a dark halo adjacent light areas. This could be accomplished in two steps using the same technique and then I would have to touch up the transitional areas.

So what I’m after on half the bust is a small glow from dark (~90% grey) to 33% grey or 90% grey to transparent. I’ve looked at other methods such as the paintbrush but the gradient has to remain perpendicular to the edge, which is always changing directions. I believe the answer still lies in capturing the offset pixels and manipulating them but I’m still stumped as how to do that. I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Brian
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 28, 2004
I think playing with the opacity of the "halo" layer should allow you to adjust how much the watermark "pops" off the page.

You can also try painting in dark grey instead of black in step 4

AFAIK, there is no way to take edge pixels alone and manipulate them the way you intend.

Again, to complicate matters I need to create a white halo adjacent dark areas and a dark halo adjacent light areas.

Try this: in step 4, instead of painting in black, try desaturating the halo layer and inverting the colour, then apply the Gaussien blur. You may also want to play with the contrast of the inverted image before doing the blur.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jun 28, 2004
Another thing to try is playing with Levels or Curves on the halo.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections