Weird "Flatten Image" Behavior making me crazy!

BD
Posted By
Bad_Dog
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all. I’m a design professional, and consider myself pretty fluent in Photoshop (nearly 10 years), but this behavior has me baffled.

I have a grayscale image with threshold effect that I want colorize. I add a hue/saturation layer, check ‘colorize’, adjust till it looks good.

Here’s the bit that’s been driving me nuts: when I flatten the image, the colorization disappears and I’m left with the greyscale again.

I’ve tried it many different ways: Performing the hue saturation on the layer directly (no adjustment layer) – this looks like it’s going to work, i.e. the image gets colorized when the preview box is checked in the effect dialog, but when I click OK, it returns to grayscale!!

I’ve also tried adding a solid layer and setting it’s blending mode to color – same exact behavior – returns to grayscale when flattened.

Can anyone offer any help with this?! I’m really stumped at this point. If you want to have a look at the file, I uploaded it to <http://fthatjob.com/flush_big.psd> (~2.8 Megs)

Same thing happens in PS7 + PS8 (CS)

And here’s more weirdness I just discovered – if I shrink the file from it’s current 3072 x 2048 to, say, 640 x 427, and then do the flatten, everything works as expected!!!

Anyone have a clue what’s is going on here?

-G

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Ho
Jun 23, 2004
I’m not sure I follow you exactly. I assume you mean that you have a desaturated RGB image, since you cannot add a hue/saturation adjustment layer to a true grayscale image. I tried to duplicate this on a 2628×4047 pixel image and got the expected results, i.e., the colorization held.

I do know that some of the forum regulars have had problems when flattening very large images, in the neighborhood of hundreds of megabytes, but I have not heard of this problem manifesting itself on files as small as you and I are working with. Maybe I’m missing something in your description… if so, please bear with me and explain it again. Also, if you can zip your psd file so it’s a little smaller, I’ll download it and have a look.
BD
Bad_Dog
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks Ho –

Yes, you understand correctly, the only difference is the base image is 1 bit b/w after a threshold adjustment, not desaturated…

The zipped file is at <http://fthatjob.com/flush_big.zip> (~1.1 Megs)

Best,

-Gabe
H
Ho
Jun 23, 2004
Ahh, I see. I tried this trick with the threshold applied to the image I used a moment ago and got the same results you are getting. I don’t know if you’ve been able to do this in the past, but by definition, a 1-bit image is just that, on or off, black or white. If you look at your image at 100% view (actual pixels) you will see that the colorization effect is NOT being applied, it only appears to be in a smaller preview. I don’t know why the adjustment appears to stick with a smaller pixel dimension image. I would be curious to see how it would print.

Try this: apply your colorization, select all, copy merged (cntrl + shift + c), then paste to a new layer. See if that does the trick.

EDIT: it seems that technique only works if you make use of the Lightness slider in Hue/Saturation. Otherwise, the results are the same: an image with no color. And, if you use the lightness slider there is no need to do a copy merged, it will flatten with the color intact.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
BD
Bad_Dog
Jun 23, 2004
Eureka!! Thanks so much, Ho, it’s really appreciated. The discovery that it’s just an obscure preview bug might not get me the effect I want, but at least I can go to bed and not feel like I’m going crazy!

Very strange behaviour though, and truly weird that it works as I had expected it to on the smaller image.

Thanks again, take care,

-gabe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections