CM
Posted By
christa_moeller
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a problem with the layer mask in photoshop CS (Win)

I’m using a layer mask as usual to create some rounded corners on a photo. Trouble is, when I try to paint the selection, it leaves behind a faint "ghost" of the image, and nothing I do seems to get rid of it.

I have all my opacities set to 100%

I just can’t figure out why this is doing this. Is it a bug?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Ho
Jun 21, 2004
Is your black at 100% (R=0, G=0, B=0) or is it a shade i.e., almost black?
CM
christa_moeller
Jun 21, 2004
Well since it’s a mask, it defaults to black/white. I haven’t changed that (to my knowledge) so as far as I know it’s defaulting to black.

One thing I just noticed that seemed to fix the problem…

If I alt+click on the layer mask itself to expose the "mask channel", and then do another fill of the selection, it seems to get rid of the ghost.

Why wouldn’t it work in non-mask channel mode? Is this a "feature" or a bug that’s new with CS?
DJ
dennis_johnson
Jun 22, 2004
I second Ho’s question, as it hasn’t been answered.
H
Ho
Jun 22, 2004
Dennis, I don’t think the color is the problem. If the default black was set to something less than "real" black, successive applications wouldn’t change the opacity. Now I’m leaning toward something being awry in the brush dynamics (wet edges?).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections