P
Posted By
pixpro
Sep 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A 24" x 11" design needs to be printed in sections on four sheets of legal-size paper to be positioned and trimmed after printing to create the single design. I’ve spent most of the afternoon
Googling for Panorama printing instructions and Photoshop, printing in sections. I found references to software that would do the exact job for me but I’d like to know how to set it up manually without the cost of additional software since this is probably a one off project. Can anyone suggest better key words that might lead to finding what I seek? I have a number of third-party books on Photoshop and found nothing in them which makes me think I’m possibly using the wrong terminology to find the info.
Appropriate help or suggests are appreciated. Thank you.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JP
Jean Pierre Daviau
Sep 15, 2005
How about slices?

a
E
edjh
Sep 15, 2005
wrote:
A 24" x 11" design needs to be printed in sections on four sheets of legal-size paper to be positioned and trimmed after printing to create the single design. I’ve spent most of the afternoon
Googling for Panorama printing instructions and Photoshop, printing in sections. I found references to software that would do the exact job for me but I’d like to know how to set it up manually without the cost of additional software since this is probably a one off project. Can anyone suggest better key words that might lead to finding what I seek? I have a number of third-party books on Photoshop and found nothing in them which makes me think I’m possibly using the wrong terminology to find the info.

Some printers will actually do this for you. Look in the Page Setup for "poster" or "tile"… BUT…

The correct way to do what you want is to put the graphic in a page layout app like Quark or InDesign, or even an Illustration program like Freehand or Illustrator. They have tile print options. BUT….

Failing that the quick and dirty way is to use Image>Canvas Size and specify your quarters, print, go back to full size in History, Canvas Size again and do the next one, Print, etc. You’ll have overlap that will have to be trimmed but that’s okay because printing out of Photoshop always leaves a margin anyway.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
P
pixpro
Sep 16, 2005
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:21:46 GMT, edjh wrote:

wrote:
A 24" x 11" design needs to be printed in sections on four sheets of

[snip]

Some printers will actually do this for you. Look in the Page Setup for "poster" or "tile"… BUT…

The correct way to do what you want is to put the graphic in a page layout app like Quark or InDesign, or even an Illustration program like Freehand or Illustrator. They have tile print options. BUT….
Failing that the quick and dirty way is to use Image>Canvas Size and specify your quarters, print, go back to full size in History, Canvas Size again and do the next one, Print, etc. You’ll have overlap that will have to be trimmed but that’s okay because printing out of Photoshop always leaves a margin anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. In the spirit of learning, I think I’ll experiment with each one. This is great.
K
KatWoman
Sep 16, 2005
wrote in message

can you get roll paper and print it in one continuous banner? take it to Kinko’s and print on a large format printer?
B
Basileus
Jul 8, 2006
Jean Pierre Daviau wrote:
How about slices?

a écrit dans le message de news:

flipping the image over to imageready, splitting it up with slices and then saving the slices would be a quick and easy way to get your image chopped up however you want it to print out on the legal sized paper without going too overboard. While there may be more ‘professional’ methods for achieving the same results, in the end you’re still taping or gluing together 4 sheets of paper to make your image so the quality of the end product is already degraded. I’d start out with the slices like Jean recommended and if you don’t like the results you get there, then move on to one of the other suggestions. Some printers will attempt to automate this for you, but sticking with the slices will give you more personal control over it than some printer utility.
A
anti-spam
Jul 29, 2006
If you have Illustrator, import the image and do this:

http://www.design.iastate.edu/LABS/tutorials/illustrator/ill tut0005.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections