How to separate image into 4-color and pantones. Help!

BL
Posted By
brooke_lhernould
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created a brochure cover (using Illustrator CS) which uses a 4-color photo in the background behind a large object filled with a gradient. The gradient and parts of a logo must be printed in 2 different Pantone colors, while the rest of the cover will be 4-color. I had prepared everything in eps and imported it into Xpress (6) which seemed to work, but my printer called to say that the Pantone gradients transform into 4-color when exported to flash. He says I must put the image into Photoshop and separate it using multichannels (in this case, 6) and then re-import it into Xpress. I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help? Of course, it was due yesterday!

Thanks a million.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Jun 17, 2004
exported to Flash???

Are you sure about what you are posting??

Are you using some kind of transparency in Illustrator?
B
BLUDVLZ
Jun 17, 2004
Something’s amiss here… why would anyone export to flash for printing?

If that’s the case, find a better printer.

Otherwise a couple things to check:

1) Make sure your spot colors are indeed set as spot color.

2) Make sure the printer isn’t telling Quark to print all spots as process.

Weird.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 17, 2004
ANswered over in Illustrator_Win Forum
BL
brooke_lhernould
Jun 18, 2004
I think I haven’t been clear — I live in France and in French they say "flashage" to describe the process of creating films from computer files, so I translated that as "flash" but that must not be the right word in English. I don’t know exactly what takes place in the creation of the films, so I don’t know if what the printer is telling me is right.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections