RM
Posted By
Ryan_Matthews
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image that I want to add a faded border look to. One where the image edges appear to simply fade into my white background so you can’t really see the edges of the image.
How can I do this?
Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
rwwilson
Jun 14, 2004
There are many ways, but one would be to use the marquee tool,feather it say 8 or 10 pixels, depending on the size of your image, drag it around the edges of your image, invert the selection Ctrl-Shift-I (windows) and hit the delete key on your keyboard , you can keep hitting the delete key and continue to delete more of the pixels of the image edge, (obviously have the IMAGE selected in the layers palette when you do this, not the white background)
L
LenHewitt
Jun 14, 2004
Select a slightly larger area you wish to keep at full density. Feather the selection, invert the selection and hit the delete key – or for non-destructive effect use a layer mask
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Jun 14, 2004
I have a learning gallery and a PS action set for adding edge effects to your images. Faded edges is one of the effects.

PS Action Set:

< http://www.thelightsright.com/DigitalDarkroom/PhotoshopTools /TLREdgeEffects.htm>

Learning Gallery:

< http://www.thelightsright.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGaller ies/Adding%20Edge%20Effects/ArtisticEdgeEffects.htm>

Cheers,

Mitch
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2004
glen, you should use the <A> tag to shorten your links. long links like you posted break the forum margins….

it would go like this:

<a href="your long url link from above">Artistic Edge Effects</a>

Artistic Edge Effects < http://www.thelightsright.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGaller ies/Adding%20Edge%20Effects/ArtisticEdgeEffects.htm>
BR
ben_rr
Jun 15, 2004
Ryan,

An alternative. I use this often to frame my family photos:

1. Add a white layer below your image layer. Your image’s edge will fade here.
2. In your image layer, use the rectangle marquee to select image area you want to keep.
3. While marquee is active, click add mask icon bottom of layers palette. Your image will appear to have white border but it’s only masked.
4. Click mask icon in the image layer. Filter/Gaussian blur. The object is to blur the mask. Experiment with amount until you get the "fade-to-edge" effect you want. Take note of the blur amount.
5. Add a new layer between the subject and the white background.
6. Select\reselect. Your previous marquee will appear. Fill this one with black. This will be your backing.
7. Blur this black backing at 10% of the amount in step 4.

This are the basic steps. You can improvise of course.

Ben
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Jun 15, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. 🙂

Cheers,

Mitch
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 15, 2004
no problem!
L
LenHewitt
Jun 15, 2004
Long Links shortened…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections