Help!!! Jpeg file created in Photoshop; invalid in Pagemaker ????

S
Posted By
Scenebyhem
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7.0, Windows 98, Dell computer 266; 128Ram, Epson printer. I’ve created a tiff file and save it. From this same file, I’ve created a JPEG file to use in a Pagemaker Document. When I try to open this JPEG file in PageMaker, I get the error message "Cannot open file, invalid format." I have done this with no problems before. Recently I had to reinstall my operating system and I wonder if this created a problem. Anyway, I reinstalled Photoshop and Pagemaker, but this did not correct the problem. I’m still unable to place a jpeg file in PageMaker that I created in Photoshop. Any suggestions to correct this problem?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
save in ps without the embedded thumbnail.
B
BobLevine
Jun 11, 2004
You can’t open a JPG in Pagemaker. You must use file>place.

But I would strongly enourage you to use TIFF instead.

Bob
S
Scenebyhem
Jun 11, 2004
Bob, thank you for your message. I use the file>place feature in Pagemaker. I have used this feature to place jpeg files. I’m placing jpeg files into a PageMaker document for a newsletter. The printer requires jpeg files. I’ve done this many times before with no, problem. Suddenly, I can’t anymore.
S
Scenebyhem
Jun 11, 2004
Dave,
I’m not clear on the "embedded thumbnail" that you mentioned. Is this the document’s current color profile, select or deselect ICC Profile (I’m working on a PC)? I’ve noticed that I’m not even able to place older files that I have placed earlier. My sense is that it is something in Photoshop is causing the problem. I’ve sent jpeg files sent to others and they too are unable to place in Pagemaker. Any other suggestions?

Recently, I had to install my Windows Operating System again. I wonder if there’s something I needed to do in the Windows’ control panel. I’m just trying to resolving the problem. It’s beginning to feel like I should call Adobe Systems support desk.

Again, thanks for your suggestion. Any other ideas?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
scenebyhem, when you do save or save as jpg, there’s a check box for "Thumbnail" at the bottom of the box.

also in edit> prefrences> file handling there’s a dropdown for image previews> ask, always save, never save.

I think just the check box is all you need to disable, but just in case that’s the location of the prefrence.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
…there’s a check box for "Thumbnail" at the bottom of the box.

Add’l note: If grayed out, must select "ask" or "never" in Prefs/File Handling.

M
B
BobLevine
Jun 11, 2004
And make sure you’re not saving it as a progressive JPG.

Bob
Jun 11, 2004
The printer
requires jpeg files.

"Requires?" Meaning they will not accept a TIFF? No offense, but that sounds like a very poor recommendation from a printer. JPEG files are primarily meant for the web, and even at the maximum quality setting are still throwing away image data as part of the compression scheme. For print output you should be using TIFFs over JPEGs…
S
Scenebyhem
Jun 12, 2004
Brian,

Yes I agree that it’s a poor recommendation from the printer. The quality of the images are poor on the paper that printer uses as well. Like yourself, I too find it offensive that the printer wants JPEG files.

I’m in complete agreement with you: Tiffs for printing and Jpegs for the Web.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections