Posted By
Melanie_Fyshe
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have Photoshop 7.0 and I’m not sure if I’ve changed a setting because my gray scale comes out Purple. Any advice?

Melanie

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 7, 2004
See the FAQ, and re-run Adobe Gamma.
P
Phosphor
Jun 7, 2004
So as to avoid any confusion about WHICH FAQs, and where they’re located:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee747eb>
MF
Melanie_Fyshe
Jun 7, 2004
Thank you, I went there and read through the appropriate post and tried the Adobe Gamma through Control Panel. It didn’t work. The purple color isn’t just on my screen, it actually prints purple unlike when I print black & white it prints gray. I’ll have to keep looking.

Thanks,

Melanie
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 7, 2004
The purple color isn’t just on my screen, it actually prints purple unlike when I print black & white it prints gray

This is a confusing statement, do you mean when you an image in greyscale mode it comes out neutral and when the image is in RGB mode (though the image is still black and white) the image comes out neutral. Or do you mean when you set the printer to print black only versus CMYK or CcMmYK?

Some inkjets do a better job of printing neutral greys if you convert the image to their colour profile.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 8, 2004
"…and tried the Adobe Gamma through Control Panel. It didn’t work."

Do you have an ATI graphics card? If so, do you have version 4.4 or 4.5 of the ATI driver?

These driver versions DISABLE Adobe Gamma completely. You can revert to an older driver version or wait until ATI fixes the problem.
B
bigredergib
Jul 24, 2004
I have the same exact problem. When I have an image that is already black and white, I have no problems editing it or printing it. Also if I have a full colour image, I have no problem with greyscale at all.
The problem only arises when I go to convert the "mode" to greyscale. If I use another method like photo filter, it converts to greyscale fine.
Just like Melanie, I tried the Adobe Gamma program with no avail. But I guess that was to be expected since I do have an ATI Gfx card.
Though I really don’t see it as a Gfx card driver issue. I have no problems creating accurate greyscale, its just the greyscale mode that is messed up…

Here is an example of the colour problems.
<http://www.boxhat.com/misc/greyscalecompare.jpg>
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 24, 2004
ati catalyst 4.6 seems to be working with adobe gamma.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 24, 2004
bigred, that definately looks like a calibration problem.
B
bigredergib
Jul 24, 2004
If by calibration you mean Gamma, I’ve gone through the Adobe app 3 times. It never changes. 🙁

Why is it that it only happens in greyscale mode? PS can produce proper grey’s so long as it isn’t in greyscale mode.

Im not sure if this is related, but when I import a psd from someone else that has an embedded color profile I almost always have to discard it. Otherwise the colours get messed up. Is that normal?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections