DD
Posted By
den_daily
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a newbie to both knockout and photoshop 7 ….I have produced a psd file in knockout where the background has been removed…I then open it up in photoshop but when I try to drag it onto the new background it brings the the black square border with it and I have tried and tried if I click the chanels box and click on the alpha button it turns red but still drags the border with it….I obviously have a lot to learn with all this but if someone could point out the steps I need to take to just transfer the knocked out picture without the rectangular fram that it is contained in I would be very thankful….
Thanks Den

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DD
den_daily
Jun 5, 2004
I am a newbie to both knockout and photoshop 7 ….I have produced a psd file in knockout where the background has been removed…I then open it up in photoshop but when I try to drag it onto the new background it brings the the black square border with it and I have tried and tried if I click the chanels box and click on the alpha button it turns red but still drags the border with it….I obviously have a lot to learn with all this but if someone could point out the steps I need to take to just transfer the knocked out picture without the rectangular fram that it is contained in I would be very thankful….
Thanks Den
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 5, 2004
Den,

Check your layers box. If it is not visible, click Window-Layers. You might still have the background layer selected. Turn the background layer OFF and then see if your knocked-out image shows up as transparent on the second layer.

Jake
DD
den_daily
Jun 5, 2004
Thanks Jake,
I have gone to the layers box and it has a lock on it but there is only one layer as far as I can see …..although if I could get rid of the lock it may reveal more layers …..I am still at a very low level with photoshop so it probably is not that difficult a problem just something that I don’t have any knowledge of yet….I have just copied the layer and it has produced a new layer without the lock on it…It still reacts in the same way though….. I can mess around with it and it will drag a a black rectangle with a white rectangle contained within it as well whatever that is….and If I click on the alpha button I can get a black and white outline of my picture….this seems so difficult I have been trying to do this for days all my friends that understand photoshop dont know what knockout is and don’t seem to be able to help. Corel help says ….see the program vendor ie photoshop…. and Adobe do not recognise the existence of Corel knockout…it’s very frustrating..anyway thank you for your help.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 5, 2004
The latest verion of Corel Knockout is a plugin only.
If you don’t see it under the filter menu, it’s not installed correctly.

Mac
DD
den_daily
Jun 5, 2004
My Version of knockout is 1.5 not a plug in….. I think that is version 2. I am beginning to think knockout probably never did work with photoshop because no-one anywhere seems to know how to use it. A shame though because tool as good as knockout which really works so well at removing the background. It just does seem a little odd that they made the replacement for the old background a permanent fixture….not a lot of point in removing the background in the first place. Anyway Thanks again for all help…
Den
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 5, 2004
Den,

I am beginning to think knockout probably never did work with photoshop because no-one anywhere seems to know how to use it.

I also have Corel KnockOut 1.5 which, as you know, is a standalone version. It works well with Photoshop. I have used it a lot with Photoshop 5. I haven’t tried it yet with Photoshop 7. Unfortunately the KnockOut 1.5 manual (on page 20) tells you only how to add a knocked-out image to a background image in Corel Photo-Paint 9 (which was the current version at the time of release of KnockOut 1.5.) There is a similar procedure for Photoshop, and the Remove Black Matte step is also crucial in Photoshop for a good result. I don’t have the step-by-step details of the procedure for Photoshop handy at this moment. They may exist somewhere on the Corel website, but I am not sure where. I will check my notes and post a follow-up message. Don’t give up on KnockOut 1.5 and Photoshop.

I didn’t upgrade to KnockOut 2.0 simply because it is a Photoshop plug-in only. It is unfortunate that Corel didn’t include both a plug-in and a standalone version of 2.0, because 2.0 does have some improved processing. KnockOut is very resource-hungry and so is Photoshop. Running them at the same time puts them in direct competition for resources, which is bad for both programs. It isn’t a good idea to run Photoshop in competition with any resource-hungry application if there is any way to avoid it.

— Burton —
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 5, 2004
Den,

I haven’t tried this yet in Photoshop 7, but this is what worked in Photoshop 5.

Exporting Knocked Out/ Processed Images from Corel KnockOut to Adobe Photoshop < http://kb.corel.com/scripts/texis.exe/kb/kb/+gwwFqwnQmwwwweO 2BqexVbdqew6QrLpdGBoDtaQDdqAnmaZ1BeRGBAGdqn55nmafMwtn5ahGdMa gdGncaQDdqAZ1BaBdaEmdxna7rdBd5rdptFqdgdGncaQDdqAZ1B/details. html >

— Burton —
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 5, 2004
Sorry, Den. I assumed you had the plug-in version. My suggestion would only work for that.

I also have Knockout 1.5 but seldom use it since I have the plug-in. However, I think Burton’s suggestions and the link he gave you will work.

If I get a chance, I will try it myself and get back to you.

Jake
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 6, 2004

1.5 was standalone AND plug in, use either way, was it not?

Mac
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 6, 2004

1.5 was standalone only.

— Burton —
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Jun 6, 2004
I know this isn’t much help for Knockout users but Extensis makes a pretty good matte utility called MaskPro < http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_family.jsp?local e=en_US&id=1018> that works as a Photoshop plug-in. You can download a 30-day trial and numerous PDFs about the product including the user manual to get an idea how the program works.
DD
den_daily
Jun 6, 2004
Thank you guys,
I have, with all of your help, just managed to succeed with this…I’m not sure about 1.5 being a plug in as well…I will look at that next but at least I have eventually got it working now thanks to you people…
…..this has taken over my life for the past few days so you can imagine how happy I am right now….Thanks again
Den
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 7, 2004
Den,

You’re quite welcome, from all of us. And thanks to you for your gracious acknowledgement. That doesn’t always happen, and we are glad when it does.

— Burton —

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections