W
Posted By
W._Clinton_Terry
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using PSCS with Windows XP with 1 gig ram. My camera is the Nikon D1X. I shoot exclusively in RAW and convert using PSCS. Using the Adobe RAW conversion that came with the PSCS, I save my files as 16bit, 3008 x 1960 pixels using the Adobe (1998) color profile. This generally produces a 34 mg file when I save them as Tiffs. I have noticed recetly that some of these files are being saved as 44mg files. When I check them in PSCS, they still show as having 3008 x 1960 pixels.

This discrepancy in file saving seems inconsistent and perhaps even random. When I noticed this in one folder of some 100 images, 14 of them were saved a 44mg. They all showed 3008 x 1960 pixels. I went back to these files and reprocessed them. All but one came down to 34mg. One would not, stubbornly, conform. I do not know why.

I am using IMatch as my photo database. Whatever is happening to these larger files, is affecting the performance of IMatch. Specifically, when IMatch produces its off line cache thumbnails, these larger files are being seen as 160 x 120 pixel files rather than 3008 x 1960 pixel files, and the thumnail that it creates for slide shows is a minimscule 5KB.

If anyone knows what is happening the these files during their RAW conversion so that they are being saved as larger than expected TIFF files, please let me know. It seems that PSCS is adding something to these files, either at the RAW conversion stage or when I save them as Tiffs.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 29, 2004
I assume you’re not using any compression with the TIFF formatting? Do you get a similar effect if you save them as PSDs?
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
Colin:

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried that. Why would that make a difference? I can give it a try.

Clinton
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
Hi Colin:

As I mentioned in my first post, all of the files except one were reprocessed as 34mg files (3008 x 1960 pixels), 16 bit. I took that one stubborn file and reprocessed the original NEF and then saved it as a PSD, as you suggested. Yes, it then came down to a 34mg file. I did not do this for the other files, as I am assuming that they too would become 34mg in size. What does this tell you? Or more to the point, what can you tell me that I might understand…as I am not a programmer.

I would add that I did take this PSD file and saved it as a TIFF, just to see what it would do, and it went back to 44mg. It seems to me that there is something inside that file that is causing it to be larger. What I need to find out is how to get the file down to its right size as a TIFF file.

I do not have any particular fascination with TIFF files…except that they are lossless. I simply have not worked with PSD much. This whole issue arises because I am using IMatch as my image database. What I am told from Mario, the developer of IMatch, is that some NEF files contain small thumbnails and some contain large ones. He suggests that I run them all through Capture to be sure that they have the large thumbnails or large image format. I do not use Capture…mostly because I have not needed it, and it is a bit expensive. I am not sure Mario is correct about this…but I pass it along as it may give you a clue as to what is happening to my files.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Clinton
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 30, 2004
3008 x 1960 pixels, 16 bit, is indeed right about 34MB standard TIFF.

Just thought I’d confirm that, but no idea why you are getting the 44MB files once in a while.

Sometimes .psd can be a bit smaller as has some degree of proprietary lossless compression.

But that really IS a mystery you’ve found, and I’m certainly curious. There’s no chance some kind of extra layer is getting involved along the way, is there?

Mac
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 30, 2004
Maybe not contributive, but is there some sort of similar difference in the file’s metadata? Is the "stubborn" file shot in a different mode? (exposure-wise etc.)

I understand you have some files that were 44 MB, and after reprocessing turned out to be 34 MB. It would be interesting to have both versions of that same file and to investigate them. Rob
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
Hi Mac:

Nope, no layer. That would have shown up when I tried to save as a TIFF. As I recall, it pops up a window telling me the file will be larger if I save with layers.

Hopefully, someone has found this problem and at least understands it.

Clinton
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
HI:

Thanks for your response. I did not check the shooting settings, but all these shots were shot at the same location at the same time. It was a dog frisbe event at the Atlanta Dogwood Festival. I could not tell from the file info whether I was shooting in aperture or shutter priority mode. I could have been shooting fully automatic. My guess is that I was shooting in shutter priority mode as all the pictures I checked were at 1/250.

I would happily send you the "stubborn" file. How would you suggest I do that? It is 44mg. I do not have that much space on my website.

Clinton
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
I could send you the NEF file which would be smaller. You could then process it through PSCS and save as TIFF to see if you get the same results. The NEF is about 8mg. But I can also send both, it is just a question of where to send it electronically. I could also burn them to a CD and ship to you if I had your address.

Clinton
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 30, 2004
Clinton,

I have PS 7.01 with ACR 1.0. I don’t think it supports Nikon files. I use it for Canon file conversion.
Anyway, even if I could convert it, it would exclude a potential issue that is maybe present in your pc.

And sending a 40 MB file over would probably ignite my ISP’s deadly wrath…

As I write this I’m packing for a 3 week cycling trip, so if we’re going to do anything else it’ll have to wait, as far as I’m concerned.

Apart from the extra 10 meg on some files I don’t think you’re in a "Blair Witch Project"-kind of emergency, and, of course, someone else may come up with a solution.

I’ll be back before you know it, untill then,

Rob
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 30, 2004
Thanks Rob. Have a good trip. Maybe I will have it figured out by the time you get back.

Clinton
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 30, 2004
Well, *I’m* curious…

You can FTP the 44MB file to me, if you can stand the upload time. Upload link on opening page on my website: doogle dot com

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 31, 2004
Turns out to be pretty simple.
This is 16 bit TIFF file saved with LZW.
Clue was resaving as TIFF in PS7, the LZW box was already checked.

Opening in IrfanView, then info, shows LZW.

Well known odditiy that 16 bit TIFFs with LZW generally get BIGGER!

Already compressed files, JPEGs too, often get larger with added non lossy compression algorithms. .zip files will do that also.

Why? I dunno. I’m not a coder or mathematician.

Anway, must be option in the NEF conversion for LZW, and you just happened to choose that for a few of them.

Mac
CW
Colin_Walls
May 31, 2004
So, it seems that my #1 post was on track …

The idea that files can get bigger using a compression algorithm is odd.
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 31, 2004
Mac:

Thanks for your effort. Problem solved. Sometimes the obvious things are the hardest to find and when you do find out, you feel a bit dummer than usual. It is exceptionally nice of you to do this for me.

Clinton
W
W._Clinton_Terry
May 31, 2004
Yep, but who would have thunk that the file would have gotten bigger…that seems counterintuitive for a compressed file.

I had considered this possibility, but because I thought that IMatch flagged compressed files, I did not look at it at first. That some files were larger than others was simply the result of my hitting the save as to TIFF keys too quickly, thus failing to notice that the LZW button had been checked.

Problem solved, and now I can go back and redo those files and reburn the DVDs to which they were saved. Sometimes the learning curves are steeper than usual.

Clinton

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections