Why does a grayscale image contain CMYK values?

CT
Posted By
Chris_Thomes
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with a grayscale image. I just want a Black printing plate – no CM or Y. Yet when I look at separations in Acrobat, I see all 4 plates! I went back into Photoshop with the eyedropper tool and selected random grays, and in the color picker it showed values in all CMYK spots!

Why does this happen? It also happens when I turned the grayscale image to a monotone image with 100 K and 0 CMY. Same results.

How can I get a pure black only plate?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
May 26, 2004
Image>mode>grayscale.

Acrobat will always show four plates. There should be nothing on them with a grayscale image.

Bob
JS
John_Slate
May 26, 2004
what file are you viewing in acrobat?

a grayscale Photoshop PDF or a PDF made from a layout? What are your distiller options, or PDF export options regarding color? Should be "leave color unchanged".
CT
Chris_Thomes
May 26, 2004
I am working with a grayscale image (mode>grayscale). Even in photoshop, I can see values in the CMY colors in the color picker. I placed the grayscale image in InDesign, exported to PDF, opened the PDF in Acrobat, opened the print dialog, advanced button, output, separations, and when the plates are checked/unchecked, you can still see color in each of the 4 plates.

Yet, also, with the same PDF file in Acrobat, I look at advanced>separation preview, there’s only color in the black plate and not the others.

Why is it different when I’m looking at the exact same file?
B
BobLevine
May 26, 2004
In the info palette click on the eyedropper and select actual color. As for InDesign to PDF, how are you doing it? If you convert to RGB, Acrobat will convert to CMYK for separations and you’ll get four colors.

Bob
CT
Chris_Thomes
May 26, 2004
Bob —

I set the grayscale image to actual color in the info palette. I placed it into InDesign and exported. Looking at you advice, I checked and it was CMYK, so I changed it to Leave Unchanged. I still get the same results with color on all 4 plates. I’m including my PDF Export summary – maybe there’s a clue in there….

General
Pages: All
Spreads: Off
Compatibility: Acrobat 4.0
Generate Thumbnails: Off
Optimize PDF: Off
View PDF after Exporting: On
Include eBook Tags: Off
Include Hyperlinks: Off
Include Bookmarks: Off
Export Nonprinting Objects: Off
Export Visible Guides and Baseline Grids: Off

Compression
Color Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 300 DPI
Compression: Automatic
Quality: Maximum

Grayscale Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 300 DPI
Compression: Automatic
Quality: Maximum

Monochrome Bitmap Images
Bicubic Downsample at: 1200 DPI
Compression: CCITT Group 4

Compress Text and Line Art: On
Crop Image Data to Frames: Off

Marks & Bleeds
Crop Marks: Off
Bleed Marks: Off
Registration Marks: Off
Color Bars: Off
Page Information: Off
Weight: 0.25 pt
Offset: 0.0833 in
Bleed Top: 0 in
Bleed Bottom: 0 in
Bleed Left: 0 in
Bleed Right: 0 in

Advanced
Color: Leave Unchanged
Destination Profile: N/A
Include ICC Profiles: Off
Simulate Overprint: Off
Subset Fonts Below: 100%
Omit PDF: Off
Omit EPS: Off
Omit Bitmap Images: Off
Transparency Flattener Style: [High Resolution]
Ignore Spread Overrides: Off

Security
User Password: No
Master Password: No
No Printing: Off
No Changing the Document: Off
No Content Copying or Extraction, Disable Accessibility: Off No Adding or Changing Comments or Form Fields: Off
B
BobLevine
May 27, 2004
Does the info palette in Photoshop show it as only K? What does the separation preview palette show in InDesign?

Bob
CT
Chris_Thomes
May 28, 2004
I’m using InDesign 2.0 – is the separation preview palette new to CS?
B
BobLevine
May 28, 2004
Yes.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections