Posted By
Howard_Goldberg
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The best CRT monitor for Graphics?

I have a MITSUBISHI Dimond Pro 900u 17 inch monitor which is showing it’s age and has developed a green cast on what should otherwise be white areas. I have tried Adobe Gamma to no avail.

I need color as true as possible. Can Anyone recommend the best 17 inch CRT monitor for Graphics?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Goldberg

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KC
Karen_C
May 25, 2004
I have a beautiful flat screen Philips CRT 19" 109B40. It’s now 2 years old but I highly recommend Philips.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
May 25, 2004
Double post
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
May 25, 2004
I always try for IIlama, good colour, good life, nice and flat, 22"
BP
Brian_Peart
May 25, 2004
I have a NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB and am very pleased with it. I believe it is the same tube as used by Lacie (but its not so expensive…) Its bright, flat, sharp and very stable. HTH.

Brian
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 25, 2004
The best monitors have a price… the Barco reference calibrator or the sony artisan both come with a calibration device
On a more affordable price scale, you have the Lacie and Mitsubishis that are both available with a calibration device.

Mitsubishi has also a new Wide Gamut Rgb monitor…4999$ estimated street price LOL!

Wow! 17 inches? the ones I named are all 22" ones… maybe does mitsu make a 17" inch one…
DJ
dennis_johnson
May 25, 2004
We use the Sony Artisan. There may be better displays, but I personally haven’t seen one.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2004
Has anybody seen a price on the new, wide-gamut LCD?
RM
Rick Moore
May 25, 2004
Do you mean the LED backlight LCD monitors from Mitsubishi? They won’t be available until Q4, according to their site, and no price was given. I imagine it’s in the small automobile range 😉

Has anybody seen a price on the new, wide-gamut LCD?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2004
Yes, that’s the one I mean.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 25, 2004
That one will make 100% or more of the adobe rgb color space!!!!

Chris, so, without an wide gamut screen, one should only use sRGB as the starting profile in Adobe Gamma?
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 25, 2004
The REAL beauty of this technology is the evenness of illumination – done right it will make CRT’s look like crap!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2004
Pierre – yes, or a profile for your actual display.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 26, 2004
Isn’t that interesting, so wide a gamut one has to limit it.

To what end, may I ask? I suppose that if you want to use it for other than graphics great. But to date, the best CRT’s outrun the best LCD’s for graphics. And, in turn, the best crt’s show far more than can be printed with today’s technology. So, until I can print an image that challenges the gamut of the crt monitors, I’ll stay put.

IMHO. of course.;-)
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2004
And yet most CRTs can’t show everything that can be printed (try getting a good cyan or magenta on a CRT).

The AdobeRGB CRT is a good step – but still doesn’t get all cyans.

The wide gamut LCD is also interesting, and may cover more of the printable gamut.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 26, 2004
Magenta? I see magentas that don’t print well. I always suspected it was due to the poor blue performance in CMYK. They turn red in the print.

I haven’t encountered a cyan problem, but that’s probably because it’s my least favorite color! I don’t look for it. I do see somewhat better greens printing (inkjet prints, Fujicolor/Chromira is dead in the greens) than on screen. Again, related to poor performance in the blues, perhaps.

Adobe produces a crt? Where? Who makes it? Who uses it?

Finally, color names even generic colors like red, mean different things to different people. An artist used to mixing paint does not agree that CMY are primary subtractive colors. It’s red, yellow and blue, secondaries are green, purple and orange, again, not what we call them. This is according to my partner, who majored in color in art school. We have lots of arguments! 😉
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 26, 2004
The CRT Chris is referencing is the Mitsubishi wide gamut one… Look in the other thread about Mitsu monitors
SJ
susan_johnston_reed
Aug 18, 2004
I need to buy a crt monitor to use for choosing accurate color for print. I currently am using 2 Dell flat screens which are great for eye comfort but have had problems with accurate color ( the blues go purple when printed) so thought I would incorporate a crt for choosing color and use the flat screens as "work horses". I see that Adobe has a crt? Any info on that?
Thanks.
I
ID._Awe
Aug 19, 2004
Re: "Adobe produces a crt", Adobe does not produce a CRT, but some companies offer the AdobeRGB as a default colour model or one of their presets. My Sony G520 offers that preset.

Which reminds me that I have to re-calibrate both monitors, the new house, the move and being relegated to the new basement for 6 weeks while renos went on overhead have made them look ‘not-quite-right’.

I love that G520, press ‘restoration’ and it looks like the day I bought it two years ago.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections